Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Woman who put cat in washing machine escapes jail

167891012»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, they spend much of their time trying to catch it repeatedly.

Give it up you fool.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Yes, they spend much of their time trying to catch it repeatedly.

Give it up you fool.

Yes, mostly successfully which is why they do it.

Anyway, you've proved yourself unworthy of any more of my time with your repeated personal insults, open hypocrisy, and refusal to respond to points. :wave:
    See ya, you clown. :D
    HUH? It's not as if they have a relationship with the fish where it waggles its little fins (or whatever they do!) to shore everytime it sees that self-same fisherman unpacking his bait. Give me a break!
    briggi wrote: »
    HUH? It's not as if they have a relationship with the fish where it waggles its little fins (or whatever they do!) to shore everytime it sees that self-same fisherman unpacking his bait. Give me a break!

According to the weird and wacky world of Carlito, that's exactly what they do!

I think he's watched Finding Nemo too many times.

nemo.jpg

No, it is an essentially one sided relationship (although other fish, usually domesticated do recognise individual humans and react positively to them).

My point of course was that humans can have emotional relationships with fish, and very strong ones at that. Again, just because you haven't experienced it or don't understand it, it doesn't mean it isn't true and doesn't mean a lot to people.

Personally I've never experienced it but that doesn't mean I disbelieve the people who do, just as I've never had an emotional relationship with a cat, but beleive people who say that they do.
    carlito wrote: »
    No, it is an essentially one sided relationship

Well there ya go then. Stop trying to argue black is white, you end up looking stupid.
    No, it is an essentially one sided relationship (although other fish, usually domesticated do recognise individual humans and react positively to them).

They do?
    They do?

Doubt it.

The 3 second memory thing is balls but their memory aint that good either. Who knows, you can't get a fish to jump out and sit on your lap, still doesn't mean it doesn't recognise you when you feed it or something similar.
    Why are we talking about fish again?

Seriously, p&d gets on my nerves when the original debate becomes secondary and everyone just starts squabbling over fish.

Wasn't [in a nutshell] it something like she tortures a cat but doesn't go to prison, followed by why should she, followed by cos its cruel, followed by so is swatting a fly, then something about where do you draw the line, and then a few pages on fish.

Bah. I'll have a cod and chips.
    They do?

Apparently, yes, although there is debate amongst scientists over whether this is due to unconscious response to conditioning (i.e. like Pavlovs dogs) or a conscious recognition of the person.

Its certainly true that fish are capable of learning and recognition of certain things: for instance in angling some fish that have been caught before are extremely wary of certain baist or baits presented in a certain way or place because they have been caught before by this method. Conversely, some fish have learnt where anglers are likely to be and head for these areas because they are guaranteed a free meal, and often fish that have been caught before actually swim to the bank and do not resist because they have learnt that it is more difficult to resist capture than to acquiesce let the angler have his/her way. (this is often the case with the "named" fish I mentioned, because they have been caught so many times. Of course this doesn't mean that they "want" to be caught, its probable like I said that they have learnt that they aren't going to die and its easier just to give up, get unhooked and be released. Althought its possible that they do!)
    ... often fish that have been caught before actually swim to the bank and do not resist because they have learnt that it is more difficult to resist capture than to acquiesce let the angler have his/her way.

Oh. So that isn't just because they're daft/forget they got caught, then?
    Oh. So that isn't just because they're daft/forget they got caught, then?

No, the natural instinct of a fish is to resist when hooked and swim in the opposite direction that they are being pulled in/splash around and shake their head to get the hook out. These fish are noticeably docile and cooperative when they are hooked.

Thats why a lot of anglers prefer fishing for wild fish that have never come across an angler before, because they put up the best "fights" and resistance to capture.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Why are we talking about fish again?
    Fuck knows :D
    Perhaps there is a thematic connection here, maybe the doomed puss received a last tasty fishy meal before evil execution by loves dark heart?
    comparing an angler's "emotional bond" with a SPECIES (not one particular fish) of fish to a cat owner's "emotional bond" with their cat is a poor poor argument

for starters, do anglers feed these fish? groom them? spend lots of time with them? pay for vet bills? buy them toys?

no, didnt think so

comparing an angler's obsession with catching a specific breed of fish to the love and care an owner gives to their cat is IMHO stupid
    Littleali wrote: »
    comparing an angler's "emotional bond" with a SPECIES (not one particular fish) of fish to a cat owner's "emotional bond" with their cat is a poor poor argument

for starters, do anglers feed these fish? groom them? spend lots of time with them? pay for vet bills? buy them toys?

no, didnt think so

comparing an angler's obsession with catching a specific breed of fish to the love and care an owner gives to their cat is IMHO stupid

Well then maybe you should read what I wrote...its an emotional bond with a particular individual fish, not species.

I agree that this thread has gone off at a tangent: but I don't think its to do with what I've written, all I've done is provided an example of other people who form a comparable bond with a different type of animal. Its because the people who were so shocked and angry that some people didn't understand or respect their emotional attachment to their cat are refusing to recognise that others can have a similar attachment to a different species that the thread has got bogged down in details about fish.
    Well then maybe you should read what I wrote...its an emotional bond with a particular individual fish, not species.

so they catch the same fish, over and over?

and they know for a fact its the same one?
    so they catch the same fish, over and over?

and they know for a fact its the same one?

Yeah, like I said they're often given names - either by the individual angler who targets that fish, or publicly because several anglers catch them - in fact these ones receive a fair bit of coverage in the angling press, with photos, profiles, etc. Most anglers who have this real attachment to the fish usually keep it quiet though, because they don't want anyone else to know where it is and how to catch it.

Sounds weird to someone who hasn't experienced it, clearly; but then so does having an attachment to a cat to many people.
    You think it's weird to get attached to a pet that is in all effects a member of your family?

The mind boggles...
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You think it's weird to get attached to a pet that is in all effects a member of your family?

The mind boggles...

No, I said some people think its weird or don't understand it (e.g. Tordborg, Yourascrote). Personally I don't think its "weird" and can see why people would, I've never said otherwise.

no, didnt think so

These points have been put to Carlito - he won't see it. He thinks that people can have the same sorts of relationships with fish as they can with a cat - despite him never having experienced either. Most odd.
    Personally I've never experienced it but that doesn't mean I disbelieve the people who do, just as I've never had an emotional relationship with a cat, but beleive people who say that they do.

Personally I don't take everything I hear at face value. I compare it with my own experiences, with what people tell me, with what I learn about the world, people, relationships and emotions from art, literature, poetry, film etc. There is plenty of evidence that people can have close emotional relationships with cats, but no evidence that they have the same sorts of relationships with fish.

If you believe any old shit people tell you - fine. Did you know they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary?
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Did you know they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary?

Really ?

It's in my dictionary :confused:

:D