Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Woman who put cat in washing machine escapes jail

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    carlito wrote: »
    But why do you have to cuddle something or even have physical contact to have an emotional bond?

Anyway, there are people who have physical bonds with fish. For instance, quite a number of anglers become obsessed with a particular individual wild fish (usually biggies) and spend much of their time trying to catch it repeatedly. They form a relationship with it (many wild fish have names and people mourn them when they die or are killed) and that includes physical contact when they are caught (holding it, stroking it, nursing it back to strength in the water). So much so that that particular fish becomes a very strong part of that person's life, and a character in itself.
    Oh dear...

Do they catch the same individual fish every time or something? Because otherwise that has absolutely nothing in similar with the relationship between a person and their pet cat.

You really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Doesn't that apply to every single crime where the offender is not deemed a danger to society?

If someone manage to steal all your savings through an elaborate scam (no danger to society there, really) would you ask the judge not to send them to jail? The hell you wouldn't, methinks...

So since we're established sometimes it is justified to send someone to jail even if they are not thought to present a danger to society, what's the problem with sending somebody to jail for the horrific torture and killing of a cat?

Thats not established. I don't know how I'd react if someone stole my savings through an elaborate scam, firstly since I don't have any savings, and because its never happened to me.

But in general I don't really think people should be sent to jail unless they have perpetrated violence against another human being, with some exceptions. I'm not really a big fan of jail generally.
    Well that's nice. I'm glad you have such high regard for animals..

Actually I do, and not just for a pet cat. But I consider human beings to be a higher priority, especially when deciding how to deal with an act that has already occurred and cannot be undone.
  • Options
    You know, you're right, there's little point punishing anything, because it's already been done and no punishment will undo it.
  • Options
    Oh dear...

Do they catch the same individual fish every time or something? Because otherwise that has absolutely nothing in similar with the relationship between a person and their pet cat.

You really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.

Well here are some similarities which I think are significant:

1) That individual fish occupies a large part of the persons thought
    2) They have a strong emotional bond with it
    3) They have a great respect for it
    4) They enjoy physical contact with it, the ability to interact with it, and observing it
    5) They would feel very sad/angry if somebody else killed or tortured it
    6) They know much about it, its habits, its lifestyle, what food it likes to eat, etc
    7) They invest a lot of time, effort, and money into it
  • Options
    But why do you have to cuddle something or even have physical contact to have an emotional bond?

You don't obviously. However, you are not seriously suggesting that someone can have the same sort of relationship with a fish as they can with an animal that humans can relate to, cuddle and interact with (e.g. a cat), are you?
    Anyway, there are people who have physical bonds with fish. For instance, quite a number of anglers become obsessed with a particular individual wild fish (usually biggies) and spend much of their time trying to catch it repeatedly. They form a relationship with it (many wild fish have names and people mourn them when they die or are killed) and that includes physical contact when they are caught (holding it, stroking it, nursing it back to strength in the water). So much so that that particular fish becomes a very strong part of that person's life, and a character in itself.

So much of an emotional bond in fact, that they continually inflict pain on it? On different individuals of that species in fact, not the same one.

Are you completely mad?
    What you are doing is precisely what you are berating others for doing: denying that somebody can have an emotional attachment/relationship to a certain animal or species because you personally have never experienced it.

If you're seriously saying that the emotional bond that someone has with a fish (not even an individual specific fish), that they get pleasure out of hurting is the same as the sort of relationship I have with my cat, then you're fucked in the head mate.
  • Options
    But I consider human beings to be a higher priority, especially when deciding how to deal with an act that has already occurred and cannot be undone.

Has anyone argued otherwise? No, its another straw man.

Learn how to debate son.
  • Options
    Well here are some similarities which I think are significant:

1) That individual fish occupies a large part of the persons thought
    2) They have a strong emotional bond with it
    4) They enjoy physical contact with it, the ability to interact with it, and observing it
    5) They would feel very sad/angry if somebody else killed or tortured it
    6) They know much about it, its habits, its lifestyle, what food it likes to eat, etc
    7) They invest a lot of time, effort, and money into it

Clutching at straws, mate. Either that or you're a candidate for a diagnosis of anti-social personality disorder.

[edit]
    Actually what you're describing there is obsession. A qualitatively different thing to what is being discussed.

[edit again]
    So much so that they want to stick a hook in its mouth? Lovely.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You don't obviously. However, you are not seriously suggesting that someone can have the same sort of relationship with a fish as they can with an animal that humans can relate to, cuddle and interact with (e.g. a cat), are you?

So much of an emotional bond in fact, that they continually inflict pain on it? On different individuals of that species in fact, not the same one.

Are you completely mad?

If you're seriously saying that the emotional bond that someone has with a fish (not even an individual specific fish), that they get pleasure out of hurting is the same as the sort of relationship I have with my cat, then you're fucked in the head mate.

Well I am seriously suggesting this, for the reasons I've outlined.

The issue of "causing it pain" is an interesting one - most of these anglers argue that catching a fish in such a manner does not cause it pain (because fish are used to having sharp objects in their mouth, and struggling for survivial for the majority of their time, they have less sensitive pain receptors, etc).

What is interesting here is that you are denying the feelings that other people hold towards animals which you have no experience of, whilst you have been criticisizing people for doing exactly the same thing to you. Thats usually known as hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Clutching at straws, mate. Either that or you're a candidate for a diagnosis of anti-social personality disorder.

Blagsta, it is you who needs to learn how to debate: i.e. responding to people's points rather than arbitrarily dismissing them because you disagree, and then levelling personal insults at them.
  • Options
    Well I am seriously suggesting this, for the reasons I've outlined.

You're in need of help mate.
    The issue of "causing it pain" is an interesting one - most of these anglers argue that catching a fish in such a manner does not cause it pain (because fish are used to having sharp objects in their mouth, and struggling for survivial for the majority of their time, they have less sensitive pain receptors, etc).

Yes, they would, wouldn't they?
    What is interesting here is that you are denying the feelings that other people hold towards animals which you have no experience of, whilst you have been criticisizing people for doing exactly the same thing to you. Thats usually known as hypocrisy.

No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that what you're describing is not the same thing as what I'm describing.
  • Options
    Blagsta, it is you who needs to learn how to debate: i.e. responding to people's points rather than arbitrarily dismissing them because you disagree, and then levelling personal insults at them.

Errrr...I am responding to your points. As are others. You however choose to ignore those points in favour of constructing a straw man.

[edit]
    Oh and my comment about personality disorder? Flip, yes. An insult? No, not really. If one of my clients at work claimed that they had meaningful emotional relationships with fish and that they tortured them (your words) as part of that relationship, I'd be on the blower to the CMHT for a diagnosis.
  • Options
    Errrr...I am responding to your points. As are others. You however choose to ignore those points in favour of constructing a straw man.

[edit]
    Oh and my comment about personality disorder? Flip, yes. An insult? No, not really. If one of my clients at work claimed that they had meaningful emotional relationships with fish and that they tortured them (your words) as part of that relationship, I'd be on the blower to the CMHT for a diagnosis.

Tell me why you think the example I have given does not compare to having a pet cat.
  • Options
    Tell me why you think the example I have given does not compare to having a pet cat.

I already have mate, I already have. Have a look if you like.
  • Options
    I already have mate, I already have. Have a look if you like.

Because they put a hook in its mouth? I've already explained why they don't think that causes the fish harm or pain.
  • Options
    Because they put a hook in its mouth? I've already explained why they don't think that causes the fish harm or pain.

Yes mate, that's the entire crux of my argument. :rolleyes:

Give it up, it's boring now.
  • Options
    Yes mate, that's the entire crux of my argument. :rolleyes:

Give it up, it's boring now.

Well listen, could you actually tell me why you think they are not comparable, because I can't see it. Maybe its a problem with my computer or something, but I haven't seen your response, other than the fact that they put a hook in its mouth, which I've responded to.
  • Options
    I have a headache from catching up with this thread.

carlito is your point of view in earnest? I have to say I find it very hard to believe that you hold those views, so have to assume that you're playing devil's advocate in order to extract some kind of indefinable definitions of "right" and "wrong" re: animal cruelty that none of us will be able to give to your satisfaction. You either get it, or you don't. It's very tired now, as [I imagine] are everyone's fingers.

If you have genuinely been trying to extract that information and understand the mindset then I reckon you could've probably gone about it a little more productively. Certainly a little less of the swinging fists and animal-rights-are-piffling-nonsense-compared-to-MY-concerns attitude would've made a difference.
  • Options
    Well listen, could you actually tell me why you think they are not comparable, because I can't see it. Maybe its a problem with my computer or something, but I haven't seen your response, other than the fact that they put a hook in its mouth, which I've responded to.

If you're too lazy to read my argument, then tough shit.
  • Options
    Carlito, if you are really suggesting being obsessed by a species of fish is comparable to having a pet cat and the emotions people develop towards them I kind of fear for your sanity a bit. And I'm not saying this in a nasty, insulting or mocking way at all.

Do you actually believe being obsessed with a certain species of fish and handling specimens from that species when fishing them out is similar in any way to a relationship between humans and their pet cats?

God almighty. Where to start? :shocking:
  • Options
    If you're too lazy to read my argument, then tough shit.

Time waster. :banghead:
  • Options
    Time waster. :banghead:

Just 'cos you're too lazy to read my posts, no need to chuck yer toys out yer pram luv.
  • Options
    Carlito, if you are really suggesting being obsessed by a species of fish is comparable to having a pet cat and the emotions people develop towards them I kind of fear for your sanity a bit. And I'm not saying this in a nasty, insulting or mocking way at all.

Do you actually believe being obsessed with a certain species of fish and handling specimens from that species when fishing them out is similar in any way to a relationship between humans and their pet cats?

For example, my cat Zulu was a proper attention seeker. When my dad read the paper at the dinner table, and Zulu wanted some love, he'd jump on the table and lie in the middle of the newspaper. He knew where to go to get love and affection.

Never heard of a fish in a river swim right up to the bank when a specific angler arrived.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    For example, my cat Zulu was a proper attention seeker. When my dad read the paper at the dinner table, and Zulu wanted some love, he'd jump on the table and lie in the middle of the newspaper. He knew where to go to get love and affection.

Never heard of a fish in a river swim right up to the bank when a specific angler arrived.

Innit. Our cat gets behind the telly and stereo where he knows he's not allowed (lots of wires) if he wants attention.
  • Options

No, I'm talking about individual fish, which are given names (e.g. minky (a carp), the traveller (a barbel living in the River Ouse I think), and sought after specifically by some anglers, often for 15 or 20 years. So an emotional bond does exist between that specific organism and a human does exist. I think thats comparable to a pet cat for the reasons I gave before.
  • Options
    No, I'm talking about individual fish, which are given names (e.g. minky (a carp), the traveller (a barbel living in the River Ouse I think), and sought after specifically by some anglers, often for 15 or 20 years. So an emotional bond does exist between that specific organism and a human does exist. I think thats comparable to a pet cat for the reasons I gave before.

So its an emotional connection based on not seeing a mythical fish for 15 or 20 years? LOL! :D:D

Good one, you really had me going for a minute there. :D
  • Options
    So its an emotional connection based on not seeing a mythical fish for 15 or 20 years? LOL! :D:D

Good one, you really had me going for a minute there. :D

No, based on regular repeated capture over 15 to 20 years. If you're going to accuse me of being too lazy to read your posts (which I have done and can't find a response) at least be consistent and read mine.
  • Options
    No, based on regular repeated capture over 15 to 20 years. If you're going to accuse me of being too lazy to read your posts (which I have done and can't find a response) at least be consistent and read mine.

You didn't say anything about this mythical fish being caught repeatedly.
  • Options
    Innit. Our cat gets behind the telly and stereo where he knows he's not allowed (lots of wires) if he wants attention.
    Dinka (his sister) is just as affectionate. After he was put down she spent six months sleeping in my room. Which neither of them had ever done before. She'd seek me out in the evenings though. Recently she's become epileptic last time I was there when she had a fit, while she recovered afterwards she spent 10 minutes lent against my hand. I'd covered her eyes, normally she'd try to move, but she actively leant into it, seeking comfort in me being nearby.
  • Options
    Do you think Carlito sleeps with his mythical fish? :D
  • Options
    You didn't say anything about this mythical fish being caught repeatedly.

"For instance, quite a number of anglers become obsessed with a particular individual wild fish (usually biggies) and spend much of their time trying to catch it repeatedly. They form a relationship with it (many wild fish have names and people mourn them when they die or are killed)"

(From the last page)

And they're not mythical, because they exist. Again trying to ridicule somebody else's feelings because you have no understanding of them.

Perhaps now you'll do me the courtesy of pointing out where you responded to my point, because otherwise I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to debate with you.