Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you do with your free time?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What do you do with your free time between lectures/seminars at uni?

I have a 3 hour gap (was 4!) between lectures on a Wednesday and I don't know what I should do with my free time.

I don't want to go shopping or whatever every week because I'll end up poor.

I don't want to go to the union because it isn't that great.

Going to the cinema would become boring.

I could go home but there would be no point and I'd end up not going.

So what do you do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    most i had is 2, but its usually only 1. So just grab something to eat and go to thr union, as thats what everyone else does. Ocassionally i go to the computers to piss around on facebook etc, very ocassionally i do some work
    This year the most I've got is an hour break between lectures and that's only on 1 day, so we just go for a coffee or a quick drink in the pub depending on what we feel like.

When I've had longer breaks, I've either grabbed some food and drink, played on the interenet, shopping if it's needed, if i've got assignments on then i've worked on them. Otherwise I have been known to go home, but then I have a bad habit of not making it back in.
    This may seem wacky and out there, but what about studying?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I have a 2 days to do that. Most of my mondays and tuesdays off will be preparing for the wednesday's lectures and seminars (I have a whole day of the same module) I'd be looking to relax!
    We have an hours gap, a lecture then a further hours gap. This is the second gap now and during the first I eat. Its a waste of time really, if I had coursework due in very soon then I would be doing that instead.
    What Uni are you at Jazza?

I head to the library but I'm in my final year so it is a must! You have access to the internet all over campus so even if you're not doing something uni related you can do that. If you are out in the West End like me you could go to the Transport Museum if you were really bored :P Or if you are based in Glasgow city centre you have the whole city at your doorstep! :thumb:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Usually I spend the time with other people who have a gap at the same time as me.
    I know exactly how you feel! I've got massive gaps in between lectures/seminars as well. I normally end up going to rileys with my mates - they've had a deal on for quite a while now, £10 for 3 hours of pool which split 3 or 4 ways makes for a good time filler.
    Failing that i just go home and end up skiving the next lecture/seminar
    I go to the gym if I have a reeeally long gap inbetween lectures, which happens every other week on Monday and Tuesday, because of 2 of my tutorials are every 2 weeks. Failing that, I go and write up my lecture notes so that they are legible, so it saves me having to do it at home!
    Either go to the library or the bar if I have a long break (2 or 3 hours), or hang out with people with a gap if its only an hour or so.
    Heh...I used to go to the bar before a certain tutorial, it always helped because the tutor was so evil!! The worst thing was I wasn't the only person who had that idea...hehehehe!!
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

Now you're talking crazy talk! :D
    capo2 wrote: »
    Heh...I used to go to the bar before a certain tutorial, it always helped because the tutor was so evil!! The worst thing was I wasn't the only person who had that idea...hehehehe!!

Ah, I spend half my life in the SU bar. Usually Tuesdays between my lunch and work at 4 is bar time :D
    Jazza wrote: »
    Most of my mondays and tuesdays off will be preparing for the wednesday's lectures and seminars (I have a whole day of the same module) I'd be looking to relax!

Well personally speaking, I would study anyway, then when you have Monday and Tuesday off maybe you can spend more time relaxing and doing something you want to do, rather than doing something just to fill up the time.

On my day of hell I have lectures at 9, 11, 1.15, 2.15, 4.15 and 5.15 (each an hour long). I study in between, maybe stuff I was just given in the last lecture, maybe stuff I have to do for the next lecture, maybe other stuff entirely. I find that as I'm in a study area and there's not a lot of time to get stuff done, I won't procrastinate as much, so it's a very productive day. I get Fridays off so I can justify doing next to nothing the whole day as I worked so hard the previous day, which is great!

Other things I do occasionally in between lectures:
    - go into town and look round the charity shops (then, even if I buy things I don't really need, at least the money's gone to a good cause!)
    - go for coffee with a friend
    - read a book
    - mess around on the internet
    Well, as a Law student, I don't actually have that much time "in uni" so I spend alot of the spare time I do have doing my work. I try to treat it as a full time job.

Alot of the time though, I end up with my mates doing nothing very productive. Haha.
    during the day - the library.

being a third year is so very sexy.

please cherish your first and second years while you can.
    I concur :yes:
    haha my level 2/second year is not a doddle to be cherished... so if next year is going to be worse i dread to think what i'll be like!
    I'd do some work, sort out the lecture notes etc and catch up on things, then use the totally free time on another day to do something more interesting.
    i never said 2nd year was a doddle, just enjoy it while you can.
    silverhalo wrote: »
    What Uni are you at Jazza?

I head to the library but I'm in my final year so it is a must! You have access to the internet all over campus so even if you're not doing something uni related you can do that. If you are out in the West End like me you could go to the Transport Museum if you were really bored :P Or if you are based in Glasgow city centre you have the whole city at your doorstep! :thumb:
    I'm at Caley! I have to admit, I'm not too impressed with it... Communication is awful and the library is always full as is the SU. The worst thing is going into the Campus shop. The people behind the counter are the most miserable shower of bastards you've ever seen in your life!
    during the day - the library.

being a third year is so very sexy.

please cherish your first and second years while you can.

See I don't understand this library lark. i've been in 4 times in the 4 years i've been at uni. Final year isn't making any difference to that. But yeah in comparrison 1st and 2nd year were a walk in the park. Work load is at least twice as heavy if not more so in the final year.
    I have a three hour break on thursdays, and I always do the same thing.

I do an hour of work in the library, then go to the pub and have a baguette, a shot of jeigemeister and two pints of snakebite. Makes the second lecture much more bearable!!!
    Smoke fags, watch T.V. and tak to housemates if they're up and are on a break too. Either that or doss about the internet in the library.
    Kazbo wrote: »
    See I don't understand this library lark. i've been in 4 times in the 4 years i've been at uni. Final year isn't making any difference to that.

my final year is worse in terms of spending time at the library because i have more work to do..which you said was the same for you so i don't understand what you mean?
    my final year is worse in terms of spending time at the library because i have more work to do..which you said was the same for you so i don't understand what you mean?

It's more that even though I have more work to do the library is the last place I'd go to do it. Everything I could ever need is online, so taking the laptop and sitting in one of the numerous pubs around town with free wifi access having a good natter and a few drinks works so much better for me.
    Normally I have a Pot Noodle and a wank.

Else I'm usually found in the library.