Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Woman who put cat in washing machine escapes jail

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Indeed......
    Toadborg wrote: »
    You are sayng that cruelty to cats should be punishable by imprisonment, one of the most serious things the state can do to its citizens, expressly because some people have deep personal feelings towards cats.

Cats, dogs, horses, sheep .. i.e. animals ... spiders are not animals.
    I am saying that why do people who care deeply about cruelty towards spiders, and may therefore wish to have such cruelty similarly punished, not get there wishes recognised in law.

Why are cat lovers more important than spider lovers?

Well, if you feel so strongly about spiders, petition the government instead of being beligerant on a point you know you cannot win on ...
    No no no

You are sayng that cruelty to cats should be punishable by imprisonment, one of the most serious things the state can do to its citizens, expressly because some people have deep personal feelings towards cats.

I am saying that why do people who care deeply about cruelty towards spiders, and may therefore wish to have such cruelty similarly punished, not get there wishes recognised in law.

Why are cat lovers more important than spider lovers?
    Blagsta has explained it at lenght better than I could (clue: deeper meaning relationship and emotional attachment between human and cat than certain other creatures, higher intelligence of cats). I suggest you read the last two or three pages if not the whole thread where it is all explained at lenght.

But if you still feel spider owners are hard done by you could start your own pressure group of course.
    :lol:

C'mon that wasn't a serious comment, please tell me it isn't so!

The whole 'law isn't dealt with reason' bullshit simply begs the question why should your 'feelings' that this woman be punished go ahead of my 'feelings' that she should not?

You seem to imply simply that because people like cats more than other animals (and because they have feelings :rolleyes: ) then torturing them should be protected by law but not other animals.

Well maybe I have a pet spider, I care for that spider and I want cruelty against spiders eliminated, if you squish one then you go to jail. Seeing as the law isn't rational then why shouldn't I get my way?

Why not try reading the thread eh?
    I am saying that why do people who care deeply about cruelty towards spiders,

Who are they then?

You're trying to rationalise what is ultimately an emotional argument. People do not emotionally relate to spiders in the same way that they relate to cats and dogs etc. It may not be rational, but hey, that's life. It's partly a cultural thing - we think its horrific to eat dogs, other cultures don't. Hey ho, again, that's life. All part of life's rich tapestry (as me old man used to say).

Ho hum.
    carlito wrote: »
    That shows that animals have sensitivity to their environment - not that they feel emotions. An jellyfish has sensitivity to its environment, so does a starfish, a salmon, a sparrow, an alligator, a cat, and a whale. Do they all feel "emotions"?

I'm not trolling, I'm actually interested as to how people can get so angry at somebody expressing an opinion (for instance Toadborg making no distinction between a cat and a fly) when they have drawn an unexplained line somehwhere.

I don't see the whole "emotion" debate. Cats can feel pain, they don't like to be hurt. Many people believe that human emotions function the same as that of a cat, that we feel attachment because of selfish needs, not love.

I think if anybody thinks it's Ok to harm a cat because mentally they lack the emotional intelligence (if any as some claim) of a human, then surely it is Ok to hurt a human with learning disabilities? Based on the idea of which has a greater capacity to suffer.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Why not try reading the thread eh?

I suspect at least 2000 of your posts have involved making the above statement.....

You don't think there are some people that like spiders? I am certain there are, why don't they count?
    I suspect at least 2000 of your posts have involved making the above statement.....

Maybe you should heed the advice then.
    You don't think there are some people that like spiders? I am certain there are, why don't they count?

Show me these people who have emotional relationships with spiders. That cuddle them, buy toys for them at Xmas, insure them, spend lots of money at the vets on them when they are ill, have them sleep on their bed and sit on their lap. Show me these people and I might take your argument seriously.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Show me these people who have emotional relationships with spiders. That cuddle them, buy toys for them at Xmas, insure them, spend lots of money at the vets on them when they are ill, have them sleep on their bed and sit on their lap. Show me these people and I might take your argument seriously.

People keep pet tatantulas, snakes and yes, even fish. Ever hear of goldfish? These need to be maintained by daily feeding, neglect them and they die. Some sort of attachment must be there for people to care enough to feed them everyday and even play with them.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here btw.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    People keep pet tatantulas

point taken but how many people keep house spiders as pets?

besides, i hardly know anyone who kills spiders anyway...i certainly dont, they're supposed to be your ancestors reincarnated :lol:
    Surely you can get done just as much for mistreating a pet spider or snake as you can for mistreating a cat or dog.

My friend used to have a snake and it was quite cute really would curl up round your arm and give you a little lick from time to time.

Obviously i love my cat to death and i too would kill anyone who hurt him.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Obviously i love my cat to death and i too would kill anyone who hurt him.

Bit hypocritical?
    People keep pet tatantulas, snakes and yes, even fish. Ever hear of goldfish? These need to be maintained by daily feeding, neglect them and they die. Some sort of attachment must be there for people to care enough to feed them everyday and even play with them.

You could get attached to a pet rock for that matter, but like Blagsta said before there are other matters to consider. Not only the intelligence of the cat but also the interactivity and connection between human and cat- something snakes, fish or spiders simply can't and don't engage in.

It has been even proven that stroking a cat is beneficial to human health. Even cat purr can be beneficial to humans. There is an undeniable bond between human and cat that goes well beyond anything between humans and reptiles or arachnids.
    Bit hypocritical?

Surely you would feel the same about any member of your own family though.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    something snakes, fish or spiders simply can't and don't engage in.

Got some evidence for that? I've always found cats to be sly, greedy animals.

Wyerty-The relation you have with your cat is never comparable to the relation you have with your family. The cat is merely an emotional bond, a family bond is much more, it's blood.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blood shouldn't play a part. If my father was a killer I wouldn't have any more bond to him than any of the other killers. If I'd been adopted and didn't know my biological father, he'd be as good as a stranger to me in the bonding sense.
    Many if not most cat owners would tell you different.

But if you know of any snakes that meet you at the door every day, making the snake's equivalent to purring due to their happiness to see you, lick your hands or your face, jump on your bed and cuddle up next to you, play with you, demand to be let into the room you're in if the door is closed or happily sit on your chest purring away, let me know as I'd like to get one.

Wyerty-The relation you have with your cat is never comparable to the relation you have with your family. The cat is merely an emotional bond, a family bond is much more, it's blood.

My cat is quite evil - he bites me all the time and only wants me for food - if i dont' do as he wants he attacks me - however oddly I do still love him. I've never been much up for blood bonding though -but you never know...
    But if you know of any snakes that meet you at the door every day, making the snake's equivalent to purring due to their happiness to see you, lick your hands or your face, jump on your bed and cuddle up next to you, play with you, demand to be let into the room you're in if the door is closed or happily sit on your chest purring away, let me know as I'd like to get one.

And that makes human's happy? Sounds revolting to me.

Surely everything said here about cats is just opinion based on subjective experience. What the woman did was not on and she's a cunt for doing it but you can't pick and choose what animals deserve more attention or are worse to kill. Yes there are guidlines, a fly is obviously not that big a deal to swat, neither is a small bug. After that then it's all speculation.
    My cat is quite evil - he bites me all the time and only wants me for food - if i dont' do as he wants he attacks me - however oddly I do still love him. I've never been much up for blood bonding though -but you never know...

Well it's still another species. You can't talk, share your experiences, have those reciprocated, make love (unless you're a weirdo) to a cat. You can to a human. A cat is all it's good for and nothing else. I don't see how people can make a bond to one and I don't see how it's more "important" than other pets.
    Well it's still another species. You can't talk, share your experiences, have those reciprocated, make love (unless you're a weirdo) to a cat.

Are you admitting to incest?
    Are you admitting to incest?

Read my next sentence. I said "human" not "family." :p
    And that makes human's happy? Sounds revolting to me.
    Sounds to me as if you could do with owning a cat to contront the bizarre prejudices you appear to have about them.
    Surely everything said here about cats is just opinion based on subjective experience. What the woman did was not on and she's a cunt for doing it but you can't pick and choose what animals deserve more attention or are worse to kill. Yes there are guidlines, a fly is obviously not that big a deal to swat, neither is a small bug. After that then it's all speculation.
    But isn't that exactly how every single human conduct, and indeed law, is created? Nothing is absolute. Everything is subjective. At which point touching someone becomes an assault? Theoretically even the faintest intentional touch to a perfectly innocuous part of the body (say the forearm) with the the tip of one's finger should qualify as assault, should it not? And yet we are able to apply the law subjectively.

Well, that's life. That's what humans are and do. There is no perfect formule or magic sand in the line.
    I don't see how people can make a bond to one and I don't see how it's more "important" than other pets.

Many people have bonds with them because they exhibit similar behaviour to humans, and are essentially social animals, which interact with humans in ways which we can understand and relate to. They have fairly human-like faces, and they also communicate "sufferring" in similar means to humans (screeching, etc). They thus have a strong anthropomorphic element to them, more so, for instance than a snake or a fish (although people form strong bonds to these too - something that Blagsta, Aladdin et al do not understand because they haven't experienced it, ironically something they are criticizing people for in respect to cats).

What the cat-lovers here are confusing is suffering of a cat with suffering of a human. The reason they are concerned is not to do with the cat's pain, which they are (half) arguing, its to do with its impact on human observers. That would be a reasonable argument if stated explicitly, but they're confusing the two which is why their argument seems inconsistent and emotional.
    Well it's still another species. You can't talk, share your experiences, have those reciprocated, make love (unless you're a weirdo) to a cat. You can to a human. A cat is all it's good for and nothing else. I don't see how people can make a bond to one and I don't see how it's more "important" than other pets.
    If someone stuck a bar of dynamite up a horse's arse and blew it up and killed it for a laugh, would you say that'd be deserving of a jail sentence?
    Many people have bonds with them because they exhibit similar behaviour to humans, and are essentially social animals, which interact with humans in ways which we can understand and relate to. They have fairly human-like faces, and they also communicate "sufferring" in similar means to humans (screeching, etc). They thus have a strong anthropomorphic element to them, more so, for instance than a snake or a fish (although people form strong bonds to these too - something that Blagsta, Aladdin et al do not understand because they haven't experienced it, ironically something they are criticizing people for in respect to cats).

What the cat-lovers here are confusing is suffering of a cat with suffering of a human. The reason they are concerned is not to do with the cat's pain, which they are (half) arguing, its to do with its impact on human observers. That would be a reasonable argument if stated explicitly, but they're confusing the two which is why their argument seems inconsistent and emotional.
    For me is a combination of both actually.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If it was like that, it would be perfectly OK to shoot a stray cat when no one can see you and hide the corpse. And it's not.
    Sounds to me as if you could do with owning a cat to contront the bizarre prejudices you appear to have about them.

"Prejudices" :lol::D

I like animals, I won't kill a small spider in my room. I'll put it in a glass and out it out, I don't like cats or dogs though. But it just proves my point, there's no way in telling whether any animal deserves more attention. As for the horse, seeing as the person did it for "a laugh" and not revenge on another person, then a sentence may be in order.
    For me is a combination of both actually.

Which is why you need to clarify which animals people should be able to torture to death without recieving a prison sentence. You can't just say "all law is fuzzy and has subjective boundaries" if you're going to be so equiviocal about one particular case, based on personal emotions and sentiments.
    briggi wrote: »
    Hopefully the review of her mental health will obligate her to undergo some kind of rehabilitation as she should not be allowed to just walk away from this (and no, public derision isn't enough of a punishment, though I'm sure she'll experience her share of that).

I think a good old electric shock treatment should do the trick.