Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sony sore losers "Wii is just an impulse buy"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/02/02/wii_is_an_impulse_buy_says_sony/
Dave Karraker, a Sony Computer Entertainment America representative, dismissed Nintendo's Wii console as an impulse buy in an interview with The New York Times.

He claimed that because the Playstation 3 is considerably more powerful than the Wii, the two shouldn't be in same category. "Wii could be considered an impulse by more than anything else," he said.

Has nobody told Sony, when you're in a hole, stop digging? I guess they're just trying to appease their shareholders, but they know they've lost the console war (at least this round) and by just saying 'we're the best, we don't need to worry' it's not going to do them any good.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously nobody else finds this as amusing as me :p
    I wouldn't say that :)

Sour grapes

the head of sony said the PS3 was too cheap. this is what you get for making stupid comments
    They both appeal to different audiences but the Wii is a lot more family friendly AND AFFORDABLE!

id buy a wii but a laptop is calling
    Matteh wrote: »
    They both appeal to different audiences but the Wii is a lot more family friendly AND AFFORDABLE!

id buy a wii but a laptop is calling

I just think Sony's press statements over the past year have been a bit up themselves, they've said 'we're the best' basically over and over without finding a unique selling point of the playstation 3 apart from it's power - but who wants all that power when it doesn't have the mass appeal for games?
    its a shame, if sony managed their promotion and were not so arrogant, they'd do well
    I so so so hope that the ps3 dies a miserable death before it even takes off!
    icey wrote: »
    I so so so hope that the ps3 dies a miserable death before it even takes off!

It already has in respect to the marketing battle. Who do you know is waiting with baited breath for the playstation 3?

However, it only means Sony will regroup and produced a new, improved Playstation 4. Probably ripping off the Wii controller :angel: (Nintendo fanboy, me? ;)). But it's good for competition, nobody likes a one-horse race. I just don't think they really tried, they wrote off Nintendo and just saw the Xbox 360's selling point was it's superior graphics and power, and set out to beat that.

In setting that as their first priority though they haven't been sensitive to the market and as such have lost / not gained valuable exclusive rights contracts which in a way is what made the playstation 2 a really great console - it's games. Everyone wanted it because you could get grand theft auto - san andreas. And that football game. :confused:

They are more expensive than the competition, later than the competition, and ultimately - now less popular than the competition. I expect though Playstation 3s will be bought when the price comes down a bit, to use as bluray players (much like the playstation 2 was used as a DVD player). However, I have a suspicion that HD-DVD will win the next-gen format war, so Sony look set to lose out there as well.

It's a grim day for anyone with several million invested in Sony, who might wonder whether other companies are going to bear more fruit. And that means there will be less money for the playstation 4, until Sony shrinks back to producing electrical goods, TVs and notebooks. But - we shall see :).
    I've thought Sony have been a bunch of cocks for a long time. For making the PS2 unfixable so you have to buy a brand new one. For their twattish attitude to copyright theft. And this sort of bullshit. But I doubt the majority of people will give a shit about that. Nor will the vast majority of their sales come from people waiting with baited breath for the launch. All consoles sell their original shipment in record time. It's the next three or four years that make or break a console. Nintendo could very well win because they're unlocking a huge untapped market, the same way the original Playstation did, rather than because of any of this shit. Tbh, Nintendo have actually been hugely underrated for ages. The Gamecube sold as many as the Xbox, with far bigger profit margins, yet somehow it was considered a failure and the Xbox a success. Now they're getting properly serious about marketting, I think they could be pretty huge.

On the original comment, Wii may very well be an impulse buy, but then so is the iPod. That doesn't stop it burying the Walkman though.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    If the PS3 wasn't so expensive, people would get it instead of a Wii or 360.

Plus, if it was finished and working like, when they said they were going to release it. And if it didn't look like a George Foreman...
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    If the PS3 wasn't so expensive, people would get it instead of a Wii or 360.

Plus, if it was finished and working like, when they said they were going to release it. And if it didn't look like a George Foreman...

haha!

ShyBoy, you seem to be doing alot of Sony bashing lately.

Sore losers? Funny how you write them off as losers before their product's even been given a chance to compete. Last I heard demand was going to far exceed supply for the PS3 in this country. That's not the mark of a failed product, and as IWS says, a console's success is not based around the first few launch months, but over a sustained period of time. We'll see where the PS3 lies in due course.

I'd love a Wii for the unique playable style with the social party games aspect, but I'm not sure how much fun I'd have on it by myself. I know the one at my flatmates' flat only gets used when there's a few of them there, otherwise it's 360. Playstation has traditionally had all the best titles with only a couple of exceptions (e.g. Halo on Xbox). I know the 360 has gone some way to try and make up ground but I expect the PS3 to at least make things interesting. I certainly wouldn't be calling Sony sore losers when the battle hasn't even properly begun.
    Ahhh, I remember the good old sony days of "leaders don't react."

It's the playstation. It's not going to lose. It's ridiculous to write off this generation of consoles already.

If I'm honest, the dude is right about the Wii and PS3 not being in the same category. And that's exactly what Nintendo wanted. Why enter a hardware race when you don't need to? The Wii marketing has worked wonders and there are a ton of non gaming types after one. But the people who actually play games more regularly aren't going to have one as their only console. And, again, that's part of ninty's game plan.

Sony needs one killer game to kickstart the PS3. And they'll have one.

What I'm intrigued by is the current thinking about the playstations power. Apparently the graphics and processing are handle by different...thingies... and the graphics thingy is roughly the same as the 360. So, in theory the playstation can handle more complex physics and AI but shouldn't look all that much better. Be interesting to see.

I'll be buying a PS3. It's not if; it's when.

ETA: It was Nintendo themselves who called the gamecube a failure. It sold about half as many units as the N64 but I think it was more about software sales than consoles. Basically, if it wasn't Zelda or Mario, it didn't do all that great on the 'cube.
    I don't understand why people have a certain allegiance to a certain console or manufacturer. Decent games come out on all consoles, there's no denying that. Microsoft have Halo, Sony have Snake and Ninty have Mario. The fct that I love all those games = me buying all 3 consoles.

I did it with the Xbox, Ps2 and Gamecube and I'm gonna do it with the £60, PS3 and the Wii. It puts you in a no lose situation.
    Addict wrote: »
    haha!

ShyBoy, you seem to be doing alot of Sony bashing lately.

Sore losers? Funny how you write them off as losers before their product's even been given a chance to compete. Last I heard demand was going to far exceed supply for the PS3 in this country. That's not the mark of a failed product, and as IWS says, a console's success is not based around the first few launch months, but over a sustained period of time. We'll see where the PS3 lies in due course..

In Japan and America there is a lot of unsold allocation stock, and the stockholders are nervous. If you've seen the press statements from Sony throughtout the last year it's a line of 'We are Sony. We win by default'. I don't think they've taken the Wii seriously, to say the least. They don't see it as a competitor, but there will be people who will buy a Wii in lieu of a Playstation 3.

The Playstation 3, so far, just doesn't have the off-the-mark sucess in regards to popular opinion that it has enjoyed with the Playstaiton 1 and 2. And even if the real battle is over the long term, there aren't a lot of consoles that had a shaky start but then managed to do really well, normally the initial release is the big make or break. The one exception possibly would be the Xbox, as xbox live grew in popularity it had a second 'birth'.

I don't have the time to look them up now, but look for some of Sony's statements about the Playstation 3 - a fair few of them are just bashing the competitors and not saying exactly why the playstation 3 is better - simply saying it is the best one to buy. Presumably on the reputation of playstation 1 and 2. But the console market, although it does have it's fanboys, is fairly fickle. Look at computer enthusiasts - bashing intel for the best part of 4/5 years and then core2duo comes out everyone grabs one!

But, we'll see. I won't be surprised if it's not amazingly succesful though - a lot of gamers who like their 'hardcore' games already have a 360 already, and when you dish out that kind of money, you're going to have to find some pretty good incentives to spend another big wad of cash (playstation 3 is around £400?). When it was the other way round, the xbox came out second after the playstation 2 was a similar price to the 360, but the xbox was only £130 with games.

I'm not just bashing Sony wildly, I'm just going on the activities of the market in the last generation - and noting that most gamers do only buy one console based on it's specific appeal. But with the 360 doing a lot of what the PS2 was popular for (lots of developer / game support), then coming out earlier, then being cheaper - I think many people will (as the situation stands) find it difficult to justify getting a playstation 3. Of course, supporters, and people who buy all 3 like r&s will get it - but your average joe who just wants to play games will go with whichever is the most appealing to them.

From a technical standpoint, it is superior - but only if devs take advantage of that. The PC has a seperate GPU and CPU and yet you don't get devs making insane AI scripting yet. It's nice having the power there, but it comes down to the games at the end of the day...
    I can't see the PS3 coming anywhere close to the market domination of the PS2. The number of people who bought a PS2, played Grand Theft Auto 3/FIFA/ Gran Turismo then left the console to gather dust is incredible. And the Wii is going to take it's place this generation.

I think the PS3 is going to be successful because sony need it to be successful. If it flops, sony's hardware division is in a lot of trouble. I'm sure there's an analyst report out there somewhere that was suggesting that they'll go like Sega...and the Wii vs PS3 tussle isn't a million miles away from the dreamcast vs PS1...

But it's the playstation. It just feels wrong to argue against it.

I think I actually agree with Karraker. But not as an attempt to put the Wii down.