Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

being emo is cool but ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I don't have a style as such though, I don't feel compelled to dress in a certain way because of the music I like or because of any desire to be accepted by any social group.

You do have a style... you like the clothes and music that you like, you can't help it, same with people that are skaters and emo's or wahtever else (yeah I know some of them are following their m8s but it's not good to generalise).

Aside from that I think everyone subconsciously wants to be accepted by their peers so nothing wrong with that :)
  • Options
    I love the whole "I'm different, I don't conform" Then they go out and they ALL look the bloody same.

And I'm saying this because my sister is "emo" and she says that to me. She has things like "I'm so depressed, my life is a mess" on her msn and I have to fight the urge not to slap her.

ETA: I also love how emos by default have much much harder lives than the rest of us, and feel the need to point this oput in every situation.

"But my life is SO fucking hard, you don't understand!" Yes, I do, because I realise that I'm not the only person in the world. My life is hard too but I don't inflict it on everyone else.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    They should get mullets and be REAL MEN.

*snigger*

No excuse for that sort of haircut unless you're a hockey fan.
  • Options
    Every generation, every year every geographical point has their "emo." When I was in highschool that group was first goth and then turned to witches. I once stepped on a foot of one and was cursed. Ooooo. A few years before me they were probably grunges, after me they were that faux blink 182 sum 41 "punk." And I'm sure at one point when I was about 12 I was one of those this world sucks and everybody hates me people because my parents made me go to my brothers sports game 3 days a week and I didn't want to go. Once your mental age has reached pass that of 16 you grow out of it and the past is the past. I don't see how this emo is that big of deal. They dress as bad as the everybody hates me group before them, only different. They do their thing and life goes on.
  • Options
    I love Heavy Metal, but dress live a Chav because I play sports, what would You call Me??
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    I love the whole "I'm different, I don't conform" Then they go out and they ALL look the bloody same.

I'll tell you what really pisses them off. When you point out that the only difference between My Chemical Romance and McFly is the way they're marketed.
    Jazza wrote: »
    ETA: I also love how emos by default have much much harder lives than the rest of us, and feel the need to point this oput in every situation.

"But my life is SO fucking hard, you don't understand!" Yes, I do, because I realise that I'm not the only person in the world. My life is hard too but I don't inflict it on everyone else.

Agree with that one. Most people have a hard life and have shit things happen to them. It's just that most people don't resort to doing their dirty laundry in public.
  • Options
    I love Heavy Metal, but dress live a Chav because I play sports, what would You call Me??

Chavetal?

Anywhoos - every generation has different social groups and everyone wants not to conform and to conform - so you always get social groupings that claim not to be conforming by wearing a uniform.

People have been complaining about it since Aristotle but life goes on, it seems a basic need driven a bit further at the moment by socially targetted marketing.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Chavetal?
    I like it:thumb:
  • Options
    Emo's don't all cut but they're still a bunch of fucking mugs. They think they're unique when they follow their own fucking crap fashion, do they not like being able to see out of one eye? Oh, and I guess they like crushing their balls aswell with jeans that tight. Attention seeking, arrogant goons. Oh and did I mention their music is shit?
    Of course, I'm sure there are some alright Emo kids :chin:
  • Options
    Not really any need to insult people just because you don't like the way they dress is there?
  • Options
    Sorry, my bad. Not usually someone who likes stereotyping people e.t.c but emo kids really do my head in.
  • Options
    I actually don't mind that sort of music (especially Weezer, though I'd be surprised if most emo kids nowadays have even heard their albums) I just don't think it's particularly alternative or original.
  • Options
    is weezer emo?
  • Options
    Weezer are the original emos.
  • Options
    I see where the look came from but there pretty positive.
  • Options
    It's the whole idea of the unpopular, uncool kid fighting back and changing what cool is. I'm not sure they were the first band to do it (and certainly not the first bit of popular culture) but they were kinda the start as we know it. They were certainly one of the bands that invented the whole geek chic thing.
  • Options
    It might be stereotypical but I always thought emo was written by bands who got dumped by their girlfriends or had unrequited love. stuff like finch and amber pacific. I liked weezer though, kinda cool geeky music.
  • Options
    Well it's very vague. I mean Fallout Boy are supposed to be emo, but they've always seemed pretty upbeat when I've heard them.
  • Options
    ive heard panic at the disco is emo but its not bad. apparently, if you see it on MTV, its not emo anymore.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Sorry, my bad. Not usually someone who likes stereotyping people e.t.c but emo kids really do my head in.

Aw, but they're harmless. They don't go around wanting to kick peoples' heads in, for instance. Live and let live in this case, I say.
  • Options
    I think people get confused about what kind of music emo is, because people label bands as it as a way to insult them... bands like fall out boy are NOT emo, look at bands like thursday or brand new.

I don't entirely know where the reaction to emo's comes from tbh... I guess a lot of people in this thread have lost their girlfriends to an emo or got their heads kicked in by one or something :p
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    I think people get confused about what kind of music emo is, because people label bands as it as a way to insult them... bands like fall out boy are NOT emo, look at bands like thursday or brand new.
    Emo's an 80's term to refer to post-punk music. But it's changed so many times since then, that it's hard to define, which is why people just use it to refer to bands that are popular among emos.
  • Options
    dunno any emo's that like falloutboy (i duno many emos though) :p

I wouldve said theyre one of those bands that appeal to the "trendy" pop fans that normally go for other stuff
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    dunno any emo's that like falloutboy (i duno many emos though) :p
    Oh of course naturally, none of them like Fallout Boy any more, because they're mainstream now. So of course, they liked them before everyone else did, and before they sold out, and their older stuff is much better, and so on. It was the same stuff with bands like Blink 182, Green Day and Limp Bizkit back when we were in school.
  • Options
    haha yeah :P

That isn't just emos though, that really fucks me off actually... although it's true to an extent with some bands, but some people just say "all their new stuff is shit" because they're trying to make some statement about them being old school or something. It happens with EVERY band, some people will still go on about how good they used to be before they got big, even when they can see the music isnt that different.

(sometimes the bands just genuinely make a fuck up aka muses new one :D not gona stop me liking the band though!)
  • Options
    Oh of course naturally, none of them like Fallout Boy any more, because they're mainstream now. So of course, they liked them before everyone else did, and before they sold out, and their older stuff is much better, and so on. It was the same stuff with bands like Blink 182, Green Day and Limp Bizkit back when we were in school.

Yep.

You even get it with bands like Artic Monkeys and The Streets, "oooh I liked them before they got big" as if it makes them a super super super fan!!!!!!!!11111oneoneoen11111!

The sort of people who'd listen to to the sound of nails scraping down a blackboard if NME or Kerrang told them that was the next big thing.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what really pisses them off. When you point out that the only difference between My Chemical Romance and McFly is the way they're marketed.

Agree with that one. Most people have a hard life and have shit things happen to them. It's just that most people don't resort to doing their dirty laundry in public.

I think I love you, like seriously. You're the first person to agree with me in a long time!

I've still got it :cool:
  • Options
    It might be stereotypical but I always thought emo was written by bands who got dumped by their girlfriends or had unrequited love. stuff like finch and amber pacific. I liked weezer though, kinda cool geeky music.

awwh man weezer aren't emooooo :(
  • Options
    yes, there not. go write a song about it
    (cant be assed to use the stick out tounge smily)
  • Options
    (cant be assed to use the stick out tounge smily)

But you can be assed typing that out? :lol:

I always thought weezer were the original emo band. The term emo has changed though over the years, it's more an attitude and image now than anything musical imo. I know some people who have an emo look to them but are really sound and are not angsty like a lot are.