Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help:p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey all decided i want to go to uni but i aint got very good gcse but i want to do sports technogly. I was just wondering if any of you have information if there is a way of me getin in to uni.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Hi,

It all depends on where you want to study, and what the requirements are for the course you are wanting to do. Looking at your name, I am assuming you are from Liverpool. JMU has a very good reputation for sports at their IM Marsh campus.

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/MKG_Global_Docs/Sports_technology_BSc.pdf

You need 5 A-Cs at GCSE as well as 200 UCAS points. What grades do you have?
  • Options
    Loughborough Uni Sports Tech

TYPICAL OFFER
    A Level Qualifications
    320 points from: two subjects at A Level + a third
    subject at A Level OR two subjects at AS Level.
    Minimum grade C in Mathematics at AS Level OR
    Grade A in Mathematics at GCSE Level.

ALTERNATIVE QUALIFICATIONS
    BTEC ND: 320 points. Distinctions in Mathematics
    and four other Science/Engineering subjects.
    SQA: 320 points from: Minimum B, B to include
    Mathematics in Advanced Highers. B grades in
    Highers.
    International Baccalaureate: Minimum 32 points,
    including 5 in Mathematics.

MEng (Hons)/MEng (Hons) DIS
    A Level qualifications
    320 points from: Minimum grade B in Mathematics
    and Physics OR Mathematics and Design &
    Technology at A Level + a third subject at A Level OR
    two subjects at AS Level..

ALTERNATIVE QUALIFICATIONS
    BTEC HNC/HND: Distinctions in Mathematics and
    three other Engineering/Science subjects.
    SQA: 340 points from: Minimum B, B to include
    Mathematics and Physics in Advanced Highers. B
    grades in Highers.
    International Baccalaureate: Minimum 34 points,
    including 7, 6, 5 in Mathematics and Physics or
    Design and Technology in any order.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
    GCSE Mathematics grade C.

Loughborough also do a foundation year for people without the right qualfications, but they can be hard work.
  • Options

i was lookin on http://www.livjm.ac.uk/StudyLJMU/80336.htm

And as it says there : There are no rigid entry requirements and you do not need traditional qualifications in order to apply. LJMU is keen to recruit students who demonstrate a willingness and enthusiasm to learn.

So do you think its worth a shot just ringing up and asking about it? if any 1 has any thoughts would be good thanx all.
  • Options
    You could ring up, but if you don't have anything close to the requirements they'll say no.
  • Options
    you could do a hnd in whatever subject you want to study at university first - you don't need very good qualifications to get onto a hnd programme. then you could go onto a top up degree which is done in 2 years after doing a hnd in the same subject. alternatively you could get experience by working in a 'sports technology' related industry and then apply to university to do a degree - in modern universities like liverpool john moores, experience counts for a lot as an alternative to qualifications, its also the route by which many mature students who don't have the right entry requirements apply and get onto degree courses. the other ting to remember is its your a level or equivalent results that are going to matter to universities so long as you can pass english and maths at a grade c at gcse. you also have to bear in mind that university degrees are hard work, and you've got to be up to the job of completing one academically. however you get onto a degree course, your potential to complete a degree is something that you will have to prove.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    you could do a hnd in whatever subject you want to study at university first - you don't need very good qualifications to get onto a hnd programme. then you could go onto a top up degree which is done in 2 years after doing a hnd in the same subject. alternatively you could get experience by working in a 'sports technology' related industry and then apply to university to do a degree - in modern universities like liverpool john moores, experience counts for a lot as an alternative to qualifications, its also the route by which many mature students who don't have the right entry requirements apply and get onto degree courses. the other ting to remember is its your a level or equivalent results that are going to matter to universities so long as you can pass english and maths at a grade c at gcse. you also have to bear in mind that university degrees are hard work, and you've got to be up to the job of completing one academically. however you get onto a degree course, your potential to complete a degree is something that you will have to prove.

Agreed. If you are struggling academically then you may be better off with a HND. I think there are no examinations on a course like this, as with a BND and there is also the option of doing a top-up. If you don't have the grades you could apply through UCAS clearing to try and claim a place at uni but as mentioned previously, achieving a degree isn't a walk in the park and it will be the next level up, I'm obviously dont know why your GCSEs are low grades but you'll have to raise your game.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Agreed. If you are struggling academically then you may be better off with a HND. I think there are no examinations on a course like this, as with a BND and there is also the option of doing a top-up. If you don't have the grades you could apply through UCAS clearing to try and claim a place at uni but as mentioned previously, achieving a degree isn't a walk in the park and it will be the next level up, I'm obviously dont know why your GCSEs are low grades but you'll have to raise your game.

Sorry, I also meant to ask, it is an odd time of year to be asking such a question as UCAS applications should be in by now. What exactly is it your doing at the moment? Your a level/diploma grades will be of more importance to universities.
  • Options
    To the OP: Seeing as you have said your gcse grades are not very good I'm guessing you havent been to college yet, so have a look at local college prospectus' and look for a course related to sports technology that you would enjoy.

The best thing you could possibly do in my opinion would be to work out your goal and decide what job you wish to have 5 years down the line then find out what qualifications you would need to get there..
  • Options
    Ty guys and girls for all the help and i will post and let you all know how i get on.