Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Phobias

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As to the buttons thing, by the very nature of a phobia - an irrational fear - the thing someone is afraid of shouldn't necessarily make any sense at all to other people. I may be wrong but isn't that why vertigo isn't called heightophobia - since it's actually an over-reaction to a natural fear of falling.
    Used to be bad with needles but I seem to be getting over it. I think making myself give blood helped a lot. I still cant stand ventriloquist dummies, they scare the living shit out of me. I cant even look at the telly if theres one on the screen. Watching saw was interesting, I can stomach the blood and gore but not that stupid dummy.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Jim V wrote: »
    I may be wrong but isn't that why vertigo isn't called heightophobia
    The Greek word is "Ipsofovia" though, not sure how to write that for English (maybe "Hypsophobia"?). In any case, it's in the same category as any other -phobia words.
    Insects ..... all of them. I understand that my fear of wasps and stuff is down to a worry about being stung and the fear of hideous looking insects is cos they're, well, hideous looking, but my fear also extends to what others would call 'cute' insects, such as ladybirds and butterflies.

Falling .... I can happily rock climb and stuff so long as I've got a rope but put me two steps up a step ladder, with a paint brush in my hand, and I break out in to a cold sweat. How the hell I did gymnastics for years I have no idea.

Carpet .... I can cope with it being in the room with me but I hate the feel of it if you slide your fingers over it (or feet or any part of the body for that matter). I can't even stand the sound of someone else doing it.

I used to have a thing about having my ears touched but I've worked really hard at getting over that one. I do know that it's the thought of someone touching them rather than them actually being touched that's the issue. Now I've recognised that, things have got better. As for the others, they've all got worse and worse as I've got older.

OMG I'm a freak. But at least I can cope with buttons.

ETA: Fears not phobias. I don't adapt my life to accommodate my fears but they are getting worse.
    pigeons is quite a popular one among my friends.

one of my old housemates also had a fear of anything seed like-- so nuts and baked beans etc were counted in that too
    I forgot one- Worms. :nervous: I just dont like them.
    i have one thats a tad bad of me, because i try to be as open minded as humanly possible.

but i have an intolerable fear of cross dressers.
    Wasps, I hate wasps.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Watching, or hearing people brush their teeth. Hate it, it freaks me out big time.

Bf has a great phobia, anything made out of sponge. If he ever annoys me I will chase him down the street with one of those big sponge hands, haha
    Pearly wrote: »
    Bf has a great phobia, anything made out of sponge. If he ever annoys me I will chase him down the street with one of those big sponge hands, haha

HAHAHAHAHA aaahhhahah you could have so much fun freakin him out with the big sponge hand.

I'm clautraphobic, but not as bad as I used to be. I still don't like lifts, especially old ones that look like theyre gonna break down at any moment, but I don't mind the glass ones. Ones with small windows are OK. And toilets with no space above and below the door (i.e. completly enclosed) are not so fun for me. I usually wee in about 3 seconds. Toilets on trains make me a bit nervous. And planes, but I'm not sure if thats the claustraphobia or another fear
    The worst phobia could be the one I saw in a sketch...
    There was a guy looking at his reflection in a mirror, and looking scared half to death. The caption was "Phobophobia". :p
    Loopi wrote: »
    Carpet .... I can cope with it being in the room with me but I hate the feel of it if you slide your fingers over it (or feet or any part of the body for that matter). I can't even stand the sound of someone else doing it.

I have that as well! but it also extends to foam and sponge.
    A fear of fears exist would you believe it.
    Yeah, I actually checked it. You could say that's totally healthy, as in "The only thing we need to fear is fear itself." :p
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I have that as well! but it also extends to foam and sponge.

No way. I've never met anyone else with it. And yes, now I come to think of it, there are many different materials that I can't touch and that actually go through me in the same way. Oddly enough though, I can touch and squeeze foam and sponge but not stroke them - why would I want to?
    Loopi wrote: »
    No way. I've never met anyone else with it. And yes, now I come to think of it, there are many different materials that I can't touch and that actually go through me in the same way. Oddly enough though, I can touch and squeeze foam and sponge but not stroke them - why would I want to?

lol, nah I haven't heard of anyone else who has it as well...
    Its def the rubbing though, I dont like handling it really, but I can cope with it... its just when I or someone else rubs it!
    Dry cotton wool is another one!! The sound and feeling when you tear it off makes me cringe! lol

Funny enough I don't mind wet sponge or cotten wool, they are fine.
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Dry cotton wool is another one!! The sound and feeling when you tear it off makes me cringe! lol
    Tell me about it! I get goosebumps all over my body just remembering what that feels like! :nervous:
    And no, I'm not exaggerating!
    People I don't know well talking to me like hair dressers, taxi drivers, friends of friends etc.
    Big phobia of mice/rats. :nervous:
    I really don't like worms. If I see one on the sidewalk or something I don't care, but this one time my friend and I were walking on this mud and stick mass in the middle of a small creak and dozens of 8 inch + earthworms started, well, worming out of it. Really freaked me out.

I also don't like vomit. I'm not really afraid of it, but if I see/smell someone puke I'm going to puke too.

I don't like people getting too close to my neck (except my girlfriend ;) after I saw the video I have in my signature.
    I think given the fact that the video is someone's throat being cut in an accident, and given that it is pretty horrific, and that it was bad enough to give you a phobie - that it isn't particularly appropriate. Maybe in a specific thread but not out of context in a sig, so I've removed it.