Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

This is totally gay

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    by playing to the stereotype, acting feminine if their a guy or masculine if they're a chick.

Yes, that's stereotyping, not impersonating.

I'm still waiting for drumbeat to explain how taking the piss out of notherners is racist. Regionalist it may be. Racist? No.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    dont play dumb. and dont twist my words.

Where did I twist your words?
  • Options
    oh for fucks sake.

i consider a racist joke to be based upon someone being from a certain place.

i originally said "everyone tells racist jokes."
    you said "no, they dont"
    i said something along the lines of "have you never impersonated a northerner or an indian?"
    you said "how is taking the piss out a northerner racist?"

right. taking the piss out a geordie accent is exactly the same as taking the piss out an new york accent, which is exactly the same as somebody taking the piss out a dutch person. or is that wrong?

if so, please explain to me why.

and stereotyping and impersonating go hand in hand with each other.
  • Options
    oh for fucks sake.

i originally said "everyone tells racist jokes."
    you said "no, they dont"
    i said something along the lines of "have you never impersonated a northerner or an indian?"
    you said "how is taking the piss out a northerner racist?"

right. taking the piss out a geordie accent is exactly the same as taking the piss out an new york accent, which is exactly the same as somebody taking the piss out a dutch person. or is that wrong?

if so, please explain to me why.

and stereotyping and impersonating go hand in hand with each other.

I presume you are not replying to me ... :confused:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Where did I twist your words?

well i felt that you either switched the meaning of the word 'sensitivity' that i said to mean something different and used it against me. either that or you got the 2 meanings confused.

so i said 'dont twist my words' and 'dont play dumb' to cover both possibilities.

sorry if i offended.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I presume you are not replying to me ... :confused:

gimme a chance! i only just saw your post!
  • Options
    well i felt that you either switched the meaning of the word 'sensitivity' that i said to mean something different and used it against me. either that or you got the 2 meanings confused.

so i said 'dont twist my words' and 'dont play dumb' to cover both possibilities.

sorry if i offended.

Hey, it's ok dude! I'm only here for friendly chat - I don't want to offend anyone either. :)
  • Options
    gimme a chance! i only just saw your post!

:lol: Ok ..
  • Options

That's not what racist means.
  • Options
    well sorry for the confusion then.

it is pointless arguing the definition of racism, because that isnt really the issue. ill accept that racism can mean different things to different people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racist
    Some writers have used the term racism to refer to preference for one's own ethnic group (ethnocentrism), fear of foreigners (xenophobia), views against interracial relationships (miscegenation), and/or generalizations about a specific group of people (stereotype).

right. back to the bit that started this little side arguement....
    i also tell racist jokes. so what? everyone does. doesn't make us all racists or homophobes.
    substitute 'racist' for 'regionalist', and off we go....!

gayest fucking thread in ages, imo.
  • Options
    right. back to the bit that started this little side arguement....
    substitute 'racist' for 'regionalist', and off we go....!

OK, I'll bite.

Intention is the key. Whether you intenionally mean to cause hurt. The majority of racist jokes do, they reinforce racist attitudes in society. Some regionalist jokes can too, but northern monkeys (why do Mancunians look like monkeys btw?) have not been consistently refused jobs, housing, service in shops, etc as black people have been for example.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    (why do Mancunians look like monkeys btw?)

ianbrown.jpg
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite.

Intention is the key. Whether you intenionally mean to cause hurt. The majority of racist jokes do, they reinforce racist attitudes in society. Some regionalist jokes can too, but northern monkeys (why do Mancunians look like monkeys btw?) have not been consistently refused jobs, housing, service in shops, etc as black people have been for example.

Interesting argument.

So if people start refusing to employ Mancs, because they are Mancs then you would argue racism? After all, they cannot help where they were born.

I presume the use of "monkey" was intentionally comparable?
  • Options
    Interesting argument.

So if people start refusing to employ Mancs, because they are Mancs then you would argue racism? After all, they cannot help where they were born.

No, because being Mancunian is not a race.
    I presume the use of "monkey" was intentionally comparable?

No, it came out of a conversation I had with my missus the other day.
  • Options
    However, once the n-word began to be used to describe people, it was targeted specifically at people who were different from those who said it.
    That's a big assumption. Black people (or 'African-Americans') could just as easily have been using it to describe each other. I recall they did in 'Uncle Tom's Cabin'. I think it would only have been when some white people/Europeans began to question the term, and look for an alternative, that the more belligerent campaigners jumped on the bandwagon and piled every negative vibe they could conjure onto the word.

Any word is ultimately derogatory if enough people accept that it is so. 'Gay' is a case in point. Time was when 'homosexual' was widely regarded as unmentionable, so 'gay' was presumably coined to describe people attracted to the same sex. The public wised up to that, but not to their own prejudices, so 'gay' became a slur, too, like '******' and '****'. Now, homosexuality is coming to be accepted by a lot more people, and 'gay' is pretty redundant. You can say 'homosexual' or 'lesbian', and most people don't even giggle.

I think (I might be wrong) that 'gay' is coming to be seen as interchangeable with 'camp'. Associated with a stereotype that homosexuals want to shrug off, since they now feel they can be a part of society without having to ring a metaphorical bell to warn 'normal' people of their approach, or observe the mannerisms of their 'gang' for self-protection. 'Gay' is just undergoing a language shift.

And may I say that I am deeply offended, as a keen recycler, by the negative connotations attached earlier to the words 'crap' and 'rubbish'? :mad:
  • Options
    I mean it would seem almost derrogatory to call somebody "a black"

Why is this derogatory?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Why is this derogatory?

Because it is objectifying. It denies their subjectivity.