Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hangovers from hell

Does anyone here have any good tips to not have a hangover?

I went out last night and today has been horrible. I was up at 9am to go into Uni and got back at 1pm. I went straight to bed as I was feeling terrible and woke up at 5pm.

Thing is, although I drank alot last night, I drank about 3 pints of water before I went to bed. I had something to eat also before I went to bed.

I've tried not mixing my drinks, not drinking so much but it really doesn't make a difference. If I drink 3 pints I'll feel the same as I would if I mixed all my drinks and drank shit loads.

My friends seem to think I have really bad hangovers and I'm beginning to wonder why.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey!
    i found my hangovers have got a lot worse as ive got older, and i swear that my younger friends dont suffer as much! im not sure if this is because my body is less able to break down alcohol now or because i drink more than i did when i was younger!
    anyway, i find that if i stay awake a few hours after i stop drinking it makes the hangover less bad. eg. if you go out at 8, get really pissed but stop drinking at 11 so by the time you go to bed at 3 ish, youre a little more sober and your body has got rid of a lot of the alcohol. (youre at uni so im assuming your timings are like mine!)

also, drinking alcohol depletes the amount of glucose in the body, and as your brain solely relys on glucose to function, it is a good idea to replace this! so maybe eat/drink something sugary before you go to sleep and when you get up. i find lucozade is an amazing hangover cure, because it is sooo sugary!

hope that helps!
  • Options
    Some people just suffer more than others. Both of my brothers are unable to keep anything down the day after a heavy session, whereas I just usually feel fuzzy, with a bad headache.

Sometimes I'll have a stinking hangover from very little (couple of glasses of wine + still being sober), other times I'll drink a bottle of vodka and be fine the next day. Just no telling.

G.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    The best thing to do is rehydrate yourself before you go to bed.
    Nothing works better than a pint of water before bed, and topping up your glass to have next to your bed.
    If you get up in the night for a jimmy, have some water then too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Nothing works better than a pint of water before bed, and topping up your glass to have next to your bed.

Which is what I keep getting told to do. However, as I don't drink alot (one, mabye 2 cans of beer) I don't really need to drink water before bed.
  • Options
    I have really bad hangovers and I'm beginning to wonder why.
    I drank alot last night.

there's your answer.
  • Options
    I've tried not mixing my drinks, not drinking so much but it really doesn't make a difference. If I drink 3 pints I'll feel the same as I would if I mixed all my drinks and drank shit loads.

I did say that I've tried drinking less but it doesn't make a difference
  • Options
    Does anyone here have any good tips to not have a hangover?

Drink less. :)
  • Options
    I really don't want to have to repeat myself again.

I've tried drinking less. Unless I stick to 2 drinks on a night out, I get a hangover.

Surely theres a way of me not having such bad hangovers but still drink?
  • Options
    ISurely theres a way of me not having such bad hangovers but still drink?
    erm, no. alcohol is a POISON
  • Options
    I did say that I've tried drinking less but it doesn't make a difference

yeh but you said that night you drunk loads - that's why you had a hangover.

i suffer with hangovers quite badly, even if i don't drink much. i think a lot of the time with me it's more the tiredness and smoke than the drink.
  • Options

:yes: Also helps for when you wake up with severe dick-mouth (a dry mouth for those who don't know lol) which I often get after drinking loads.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    erm, no. alcohol is a POISON

I know that. I'm asking for tips on how to have a hangover that isn't so bad.

I mean, I just seem to get them really bad compared to everyone else despite drinking less.

Lucifer - I did drink alot last night but even if I drank substantially less, I'd still feel as bad unless I drank nothing.
  • Options

Lucifer - I did drink alot last night but even if I drank substantially less, I'd still feel as bad unless I drank nothing.

Some people are just like that. I know someone who has a fucking awful hangover even if he only has one pint, so everytime he does have a drink...he has fucking loads of drinks because he'll still have a hangover the next morning so it might aswell have been worth it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Don't mix your drinks, avoid alcopops, dark spirits, red wine and real beers. Drink plenty of water before bed and get plenty of sleep.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i guess some people are just more prone to them..it depends how tiredness etc effects you.
  • Options
    I mean, I just seem to get them really bad compared to everyone else despite drinking less.

It's like some women get worse period pains than others, some people get migraines while others don't, some people get thrush, some people get cystitis, etc etc. Some people get horrible hangovers and some people don't get them at all. If you happen to get bad ones then I doubt there's a cure, just like there often isn't a cure for other things which affect some people and not others. I guess you just have to weigh up whether you have enough fun on a night out to make the feelings from hell the next day worth it!
  • Options
    Don't mix your drinks, avoid alcopops, dark spirits, red wine and real beers. Drink plenty of water before bed and get plenty of sleep.

Exactly, and if you can eat during the drinking session thats a good idea.

Clear spirits are best, ideally in long mixers.
  • Options
    Tiredness always gets me. I sometimes get a bad tummy but that's about it.

Feel rough today, self inflicted though so I don't deserve sympathy :(
  • Options
    I use milk thistle. U can get it from Holland and Barret. I take two before i go to bed, and wake up fine in the morning. Its worth a try

:thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Tiredness always gets me. I sometimes get a bad tummy but that's about it.

Feel rough today, self inflicted though so I don't deserve sympathy :(

Makes me laugh when a guy says tummy!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Makes me laugh when a guy says tummy!

Haha, I'm telling people on my team that I've got a sore tummy in a really babyish voice but it's still not getting me any sympathy :(
  • Options
    Drink Magners, you don't get any hangover :)
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Drink Magners, you don't get any hangover :)

dont mix it with larger though... if I drink both of them in a night it makes me feel so so rough!