Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sudden turnaround

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been single for a year now and, if you don't count the 4 month sham of a relationship I had a year ago, you could raise that figure to 2 1/2 years. On the whole I'm pretty happy being single, but I've felt really intensely lonely at many points over the past few months.

Although there have a been a lot of 'nearly's and people I could have started relationships with, I haven't met anyone who's totally swept me off my feet and I don't want to settle for someone I'm not totally into. I have a date on sunday with a guy who I feel could be a potential relationship, but when I looked at my friend with her boyfriend this morning the whole concept really scared me and I felt like calling him and cancelling. Do you think this is a sign I'm subconsciously not really into him? Or have I developed a wariness of relationships from being single for so long? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    with me it would be a sign of not really liking him but only you know how you feel inside.
    Give it a go though and see how it goes. Don't go with the intention of finding out if he's bf material, go with the intention of having a fun time.
  • Options
    I'm not a huge authority on these subjects but all I can say is - you'll never know if you don't go ahead with the date.

It's not worth having that sense of 'what if' (dear god I know this all too well) when you have a nice opportunity to see if he's right for you and then decide if you want to take it further - you can always say no in the future if it's not right.

Plus you've already said you think he might be potential relationship material - so go on the date, have fun (don't go with anything else in mind) and see what happens.

Have fun!

Paul aka 79
  • Options
    don't cancel, go and see if you like him. if you then decide you're not interested it's not too late to stop seeing him. :)
  • Options
    To me, it sounds like you are scared of going into a relationship. In the past year, I've ended relationships, told guys I don't want anything more than a bit of fun, etc purely because I'm so scared of getting hurt after being hurt so many times before.