Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Results from questionnaire

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got the results from a questionnaire and I want to put in to a pie chart or a bar graph, how do I do this is Excel (OpenOffice Calc) because it can only read numbers and not words like yes and no. (e.g. Yes: 10% | No: 90%)

Comments

• Options
    Best guess - import the words, and use an IF statement to assign a numerical value to YES and NO that you can use to produce a chart.

Or I expect actually that some pie charts can be produced based on whatever contents fill a certain range of cells.
  • Options
    As Mist said I would assign a numerical value as well, ie yes = 1 no = 2. I think you can edit labels on your graph to read yes or no, otherwise you can use a key to define your labels. I used to use SPSS to process my questionnaire results, its a really good tool to use for this type of work but is time consuming.
  • Options
    countif function will do it for you IIRC :).

So, countif yes
    countif no

will give you numbers of yesses and nos. Then do a chart :). I will just double check on the exact function though...

=COUNTIF(C6:C26,"yes")

This will provide the number of values that returned "yes" in the range C6:C26. I just randomly tested it on excel. Feel free to change the values to your own, or simply a label like 'q4col'. :thumb:

Just rinse and repeat for no, then you have two numerical values. For ease, write 'Yes' above the yes, No above the No, then just get chart wizard to do it for you :)
  • Options
    Nice explanation ShyBoy, couldnt have worded it better myself, im doing a course in IT and its all based around excel so its basically what im using all the time at the minute
  • Options
    All this brain power!

Ill be needing some help soon - I shall call upon you all!:angel:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    countif function will do it for you IIRC :).

So, countif yes
    countif no

will give you numbers of yesses and nos. Then do a chart :). I will just double check on the exact function though...

=COUNTIF(C6:C26,"yes")

This will provide the number of values that returned "yes" in the range C6:C26. I just randomly tested it on excel. Feel free to change the values to your own, or simply a label like 'q4col'. :thumb:

Just rinse and repeat for no, then you have two numerical values. For ease, write 'Yes' above the yes, No above the No, then just get chart wizard to do it for you :)

Thanks but I have no idea how to do it, could you give some more pointers for a nub :)
  • Options
    Ok, so normally when I do a questionnaire I will do a table like follows:
    RN. Q1. Q2. Q3. Q4.
    1   M   Yes a   b

Where RN is the respondent, and the questions have things. Then it's quite easy to do graphs and stuff. How have you entered your RAW data? If you have a column of simply 'yes' and 'nos' and you want to make a graph it can be quite tricky. So find some blank space on your excel spreadsheet, make two headings "Yes" and "No" and then under the yes, type

=countif( - then simply select with the mouse the column that has all the yesses or nos in, it should automatically fill the formula with those entries. Then finish with
    ,"yes")

Then simply repeat the process and instead of "yes" type "no".

Then, select all four cells (so the headings and the numbers) and click on chart wizard, then pie chart, then set it up how you like :).

If you're still stuck later I'll post up a an illustrated step by step guide :p (yes, I did this for my IT project too :()
  • Options
    I wish I paid attention at school and college now :lol:

this what I got (just an example)

clacua2.th.png

After putting in =countif, under D I got #VALUE! and under E I got #NAME?
  • Options
    Well that may be cos you're using calc, not excel :p. Hold on...
  • Options
    Subtle difference;

in order to get it to work you need:

=COUNTIF($D$2:$D$9;"Yes")
    =COUNTIF($D$2:$D$9;"No")

assuming you put all of the responses in the same column. In excel they use a , instead of a semi colon. You don't need the dollar signs there, they just mean if you move or copy the code it has an absolute reference rather than a relative one, which means you wont get weird and wonderful results :)
  • Options
    cool cheers mate :D
  • Options
    btw, do you know how I change the column name because in my chart it has colour code but just says "column A" "column B" etc.

also I gotta put in ages of people.

"Age
    16"

And so on... any idea how to work that out?
  • Options
    What do you mean?

My common practice is to leave an empty row at the top for column headings.

If you want to change the name of a column for code purposes, click the column header (i.e. column A) and in the box that says "A1:A65536" retype in what you like. However, it's best for presentation purposes just to leave a blank space at the top and type in what you like :).

If you need a space, just right click on the row one and click insert rows. :thumb:

Make sure to check any absolute values after doing though...
  • Options
    I also need to show the most popular ages down to the least popular, I'd prefer to have the questions asked in one spread sheet if thats possible.