Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Family friendly or flexi time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any law where employers have to be flexable with hours for employees with family, or is it just down to luck with your employer?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm pretty sure the law says that they have to demonstrate why you cant' work flexiable hours and or job share - the onus being on your employer to prove that you can't rather than you to prove that you can if you see what I mean.

xx
    Er, I'm not sure if I do get it actually?
    I think that only counts if you were already working for them before having your child. When you go back to work, they have to try and offer you more suitable hours if you request, or give a damn good reason why they cant, otherwise it could be constructive dismissal.

If you go for a job with a family already, they dont hav to give it to you if you cant do the hours they want.
    You have a right "to ask", not to get. Apparently. Which sounds a bit pointless to me.

"Anyone can ask their employer for flexible work arrangements, but the government has introduced a statutory right in order to encourage applications. You have the statutory right to ask if you:

are an employee (but not an agency worker or in the armed forces)
    have a child under six or a disabled child under 18
    are responsible for the child as a parent/guardian/foster parent
    are applying to care for the child, and
    have worked for your employer for 26 weeks continuously before applying "

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&siteId=en&ssTargetNodeId=633&ssDocName=DG_10028440
    hmmn, thanks. Basically, that all means no in my case and I'll just have to hope to strike it lucky with the employer.

I'm applying for 9-5 mon-fri with 1/4 or 1/2 sat type jobs and am kinda desperate to work half days mon and fri but can do all day every sat. One agency I spoke to said "no chance" basically. I guess I'll just have to get what I get and lump it.
    They have no obligation to offer you anything like that, it's worth applying for some though, you may find somewhere that likes you and is desperate enough to come to an arrangement that suits you.
    Also you quite often find jobs which say they encourage job share's to apply as well or which offer flexiable working hours.
    How does holiday entitlement work? Could I er book half days as my holiday?
    katralla wrote: »
    How does holiday entitlement work? Could I er book half days as my holiday?

Depends on where you work.

However, even if you can, you can't necessarily book every day that you want, because it will depend on business need.
    Yeah. Well I only need mon and fri afternoons following school term times but one week time shifted, my old man can do some but spends a lot of time in Frnace, and my old dear is a nurse who works shifts so she can do some- but I wouldn't know when very much in advance. I've phoned every local childminder and none of them have spaces, let alone one who drives and can take my daughter to dance. I've been bollocked for not getting her there every week last term due to working, and they have a three lessons missed and your out thing going on.

I can find part-time work pretty easily but nothing that progresses me career wise. The work I was doing before uni is still there but the money isn't so much as partner has kinda retired now and she was the driving force behind the business. It's a dilema but I'm workin with it and lookin at my options. I thought I'd be happy to postpone a career to mostly stay at home and mummy, but I'm fucking skint, bored and hugely frustrated- something's gotta give...