Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Posting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ill put this here because im not too sure,

Whats the best postal people to go with , moneywise that is.

I dont want my stuff lost but i dont want to pay rediculous prices

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Post a cheque, and send it royal mail recorded delivery. That way it has to be signed for, it's free to do, and you can cancel the cheque if you don't get receipt of delivery (which you can track online for free) within a reasonable amount of time.
  • Options
    You have to pay for recorded delivery. Standard letter, first class recorded is £1.
  • Options
    No you don't. You have to pay for special delivery, but recorded is a free upgrade.

ETA: Ok, I checked, so it costs now, but I'm sure it didn't, but it is only 68p plus the stamp, which I don't think is that bad...
  • Options
    Sorry i seem to have misworded (is that a word? :|) my post. What i meant to ask for pricing for was a parcel.. which is the best courier.
  • Options
    I wouldnt bother with using a big company like ups or dhl unless its going to become a regular occurance.
    If its just selling stuff on ebay or similar then just send it 1st class from the post office. Parcel force is supposed to be better but in my experience its more expensive and takes longer to arrive - stick to 1st class royal mail or recorded delivery (normally about a pound more).
  • Options
    i usually just get a proof of postage if the item isnt worth much , its basically a receipt but with their address on, so you can prove it was sent.

next step up recorded, its always cost to send recorded, but its quite good value. think it only insures you up to about £100 or something tho.

if its worth a bit Special Delivery it is, costs a bit but they have to sign for it and they guarentee next day delivery.

its its a big or weighty item i use TNT. Only for the fact we get it for £6.95 from work cos of our contract with them.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    next step up recorded, its always cost to send recorded, but its quite good value. think it only insures you up to about £100 or something tho.

I think the most you can claim is 30 x the cost of postage. So a standard fisrt class letter, the compensation would be up to £9.60p

ETA Just read the back of a recorded delivery slip, it's 100 x cost of a first class stamp, so £32.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I think the most you can claim is 30 x the cost of postage. So a standard fisrt class letter, the compensation would be up to £9.60p

ETA Just read the back of a recorded delivery slip, it's 100 x cost of a first class stamp, so £32.

Why do they ask how much the item is worth? Like, if I say £100 and their policy is to pay upto £32 is there much point in asking?
  • Options
    TBH i just take my parcels to the post office and use royal mail. I wouldn't know the first thing about using other courrier services. Do you get a choice at the post office or do you have to go to an office somewhere?? (see totally clueless).
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Why do they ask how much the item is worth? Like, if I say £100 and their policy is to pay upto £32 is there much point in asking?

I would imagine so they can offer you insurance or another method of delivery that carries a higher insurance value.