Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Deep-fried tofu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably more for the vegetaians amongst us, but I absolutely love deep fried tofu from chinese/cantonese restaurants but I have no idea how to make it.

It's the stuff where it's all puffed up and chewy rather than regular tofu. It's lovely in stir frys or sweet & sour sauce is my favourite.
Anyway..I've been searching for ages and found it ready-prepared in the chiller section of a Chinese supermarket, however it was almost £3 for a fairly small packet which I thought was a bit steep.

I've thought about making it myself (although I'm not the best deepfryer around..tend to set things alight etc) from normal tofu, although I don't know if it'd work. I've bought the firm tofu in boxes before that you cut up but I just cannot get the hang of it, it just seems slippery and tends to disintegrate. Obviously you can get the Cauldron tofu chunks and other makes but it is more expensive.

Soo...does anyone know what I mean?! Deep-fried tofu.. :love:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I :heart: deep friend tofu but no idea how to make it! Have you googled for a recipe?
    I loooove that :D

Are you vegan?

Squeeze alll the water out of the tofu with kitchen roll, freeze if for a couple of hours, then let it defrost. It'll be much firmer and easier to cut and deep fry.
    Not sure about the chinese tofu thing but for a really wide range of different types of tofu in health food shops and organic food shops (like Planet Organic, Fresh'n'Wild etc).

I don't really like it done the way you describe though.
    Deep fried tofu

Plain Tofu

or

Saucy Tofu

:)
    Thanks for the help guys...I've had a gander at those recipes before Rubberskin, but wasn't sure if it'd work....will have a go though and report back! It's always hard to get the oil hot enough without burning the place down and having it spit in my face!

Will try the freezing thing too and will definitely go and look in a few health stores. To be honest, I rarely go in those places...kinda associate them with nuts and seeds and other hamster food but I will give it a shot.

Doublecherry - no I'm not vegan, just vegetarian. I agree with the prinicples of veganism and have often considered it, however I have such a high metabolism and neeeed to eat extensive amounts of dairy products, junk and chocolate in order to stay a size 8-10! Maybe as I get older and things change I might convert. Are you vegan yourself?
    Yeah I am. I have a pretty high metabolism too actually, but there are plentyyy of high calorie vegan foods as well! Have a look at vegan chocolate or ice cream if you do go to one of those health food stores, they're great.
    Have a look at vegan chocolate or ice cream if you do go to one of those health food stores, they're great.

Yeah I will...I used to eat vegan chocolate as a kid because I was very lactose intolerant. In the end though, I just ate dairy products and made myself ill until I built up a tolerance to it! Probably not the best way to do it but at least I can eat all the chocolate I want now..