Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Family destinations?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I need somewhere I can take my 2 year old on holiday, would rather do something a bit better than Spain or the Balearics (although I haven't been abroad for over 10 years!!)

I was thinking of doing a nice hotel in Tunisia, anyone got any experiences?

Thailand isn't really suitable due to the long flights at the moment!

Cheers :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go where you want to go!!

Your 2 year old would be just as happy in skegness!
    lol - I know but some places are obviously not going to be suitable for a 2 year old such as places with 10 hour flights and 35+ degree temperatures! lol

And some places are a bit 'dodgy' if you know what I mean.

Really fancy Tunisia but may just end up with something a bit simpler like Majorca.. can't decide!!!!!!!

Already booked to Butlins in Minehead in May though hehe :D

Not doing this one til September

EDIT: Plus he'll be WAY happier lying on a hot beach in warm sea than in Skegness! lol
    I think tunisia could be a bit dodgy but thats more as a single girl - i'm sure they will all love babies and it might well be a good place as a family.

Otherwise france or italy are also good - plus you can drive so you don't have the taking the baby on the plane hastle. And I saw a really horrible TV programme about an aircrash - one of the ones where not everyone died and all the babies who didn't have their own seats basically were put on the floor and loads of them got lost/died in the confusion that followed. So the chief airhostess on the flight now devotes her life to campaigining to get parents/airlines to ensure all children have their own seats and wear seat belts - kind of like the booster seats you get in cars.

Though the chances of actually dying in a plane crash are very low - it just made me paranoied.

i will have a little think - I think he is a bit young to appreciate disney land - otherwise I would suggest that - the one in paris but maybe in a few years time when it will all be really magical and disney like!
    Tunisia is lovely and well worth it, but you may find it's full of older people rather than families. I'd also be a little dubious about the temperatures in summer for a 2 year old. As for safety there's nothing at all to worry about over there. They have complete respect for tourists and although they can be a little pushy with sales, it's all meant with the best of intentions.
    I went to Majorca (palma) a couple of years ago, and although i didnt take ds, I think it would have been a good place for him.
    Quite touristy though, but cheap and the beaches were clean and lots of facilities and things to do.
    Tunisia can get very hot
    Average temp is 24 degrees in September

What's really bothering me is the fact of the mosquitos out there, which wouldn't be so bad in spain etc
    I went to Tunisia in December and don't know that I would take small children there. There were loads of cats hanging round the hotel, they were very cute but a woman told me one had scratched her child, they also pooed in the kid's sandpit.

British seaside is good for kids, at least you know everything should be safe and clean. But I can understand if you want a holiday yourself.

Turkey is nice, and cheap too.
    I didn't like Turkey when I went as a 14 year old. Felt very unsafe, was walking behind my mum when some bloke grabbed me from behind, picked my up and tried to put me on a camel, to name just one of the happenings. Cyprus on the other hand I did feel safe in and would recommend.

As a family when I was little we used to go to France or Germany. They were close enough that the travelling didn't trouble me and the heat wasn't too bad. Italy is very nice and again not too far away.

Malta I fell in love with, although there isn't a great deal to do.

We're looking at Bulgaria this year, which looks like there'd be a good place for families. There's things to do with children that would be fun, whilst also having things to interest adults as well.
    What's wrong with Butlins?! :razz:
    I love Turkey - however you do definately get a different experience going as a child to an adult - and also its totally different outside of the main tourist resorts - where in general tourists (often quite rightly) have a bad reputation - the girls for being easy (partly due to a couple secumbing to the anatolian charms and mostly due to wearing not enough clothes) and the boys for being drunk - both of which are obviously not really acceptable in a predominatly muslim country. Dont' let that put you off though its a really amazingly beautiful country and 99% of the people are really lovely.

however I agree with was suziecreamcheese said - that you should choose where you want to go as children will fit in most places - especially as he isnt' probably old enough to appreciate things like kids clubs etc.
    I just want to go somewhere with the best beach possible and a fancy hotel.. me and my kid make our own fun!! especially when we go to the seaside - yeah baby!!!
    I'd recommend Cyprus as well, it's a lovely warm place (it was nice and sunny - although not overly warm for us and we went one January) and it's not too bad a flight. The beaches I saw looked lovely too if that's what you're after! (too cold for me to play on them) :)

But yeah, Butlins is just as (if not more) ace :thumb:
    I know you said you didnt fancy the balearics but if i was taking my two year old (not got one like but if i did!) i'd definitely consider menorca as one of the choices.

I'm probably a bit biased because I worked there for like 9 months but its SO pretty, you can choose from a resort thats really touristy but nice or one thats a bit more out of it, the flight time is really short (1 and a half hours) in September it'll still be hot but not as roasting as it would be in july or august, the beaches are GORGEOUS, and its basically just a really family orientated island so there'll always be loads for your little un to do.

I didn't like Tunisia when i went!

just thought i'd add my two p worth :D
    Yeah Menorca is one of the few I think stand out from the rest down that way.

I am probably going to go with Tunisia I think, just because I want to avoid the mainstream and lager louts.

I have been reading up and Sousse is meant to be OK but a little rough, and Hammamet is meant to be the number 1 spot for holiday makers, so I'm assuming the location and town etc will be nice to go out in.

Plus I found some lovely places/pics - will try and post some in a bit.

I quite like the look of this Hotel, right on the beach - http://www.vinccitunisia.com/en/tajsultan/diapos/0.jpg
    Alcudia in Majorca is good for families.