Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well if you've read my post in anything goes you'll know I passed my driving test yesterday- YAY! Got my eye on a little 1.1 ford fiesta. Anyone know a good insurance company to go with for a new driver? I'm 21

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Feels great doesn't it. I passed in summer and use Quinn Direct- they deal mainly with new or young drivers and their prices reflect that. I drive a 1.4 car and their quote was the best by far. Definitely get a quote.
    I use Diamond, they were the best for me.

Ring around and get a few quotes, then try playing them off against each other.
    i got insured with tesco when i was a learner and i'm still with them over 3 years on.
    try doing a search on here, you should find a few threads on it though i'm sure prices etc have changed.
    swiftcover...cheapest by miles for me, been with them 2 years now.

www.moneysupermarket.co.uk

saves a lot of hassle
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    When I passed my driving test back in October, I got a Yaris. I got zillions of quotes and the cheapest for me was Marks and Spencers. Got a very good deal and it was the cheapest by a long shot.
    i've looked at insurance through confused.com. I know they have a really terrible advert, but they are useful!
    The cheapest I can find is tesco. I was going to do pass plus but none of them give me the option to say I have it when I get a quote. It doesnt really seem worth it :(
    Not worth doing Pass Plus in my experience. And the only way to get the cheapest insurance is to phone every company you can think of. A few things to remember:-

Estimated mileage can increase/decrease your premium by quite a margin.
    Adding an older relative to your policy can make a big difference.
    Parking in a garage can make a difference.
    If you're at uni, try getting a quote at your parents but with allowances in the policy to park it overnight at either location.

Elephant.co.uk always worked out good for me with cars :).
    i was going to suggest confused.com but it looks like Life_of_kate beat me to it =]
    kangoo wrote: »
    The cheapest I can find is tesco. I was going to do pass plus but none of them give me the option to say I have it when I get a quote. It doesnt really seem worth it :(

I've been with tescos for nearly 3 years and they've always been the cheapest (for me anyway), and i've never had any problems with them.
    pass plus saved me money with Endsleigh
    Endsleigh quoted me well over £1000 with pass plus on a 1.1 engine! Fuck that! Think I'm gonna go with tesco and forget the pass plus
    Congratulations on passing!! You should try www.confused.com, then you can get lots of quotes at once- its really handy. I'm insured with Elephant but seems like everyone got the best deal with a different company so I guess it is whatever works for you. :)
    Confused.com didn't give me the cheapest! There was nothing under £900 and I've had at least 3 quotes lower than that :( I think tesco is the way forward
    Admiral are good!
    Admiral ( and their various offshoots) are fantastic if you ever need to deal with them.

You need to check the details of what you're getting with each one, what's covered, what's not, whether any work done is guarenteed and what the excess is.

To get the benefit from pass plus you need to ring them up, get a quote and then ask what the reduction would be for pass plus.

Even if it's no significant benefit for your insurance, if you're not that confident in driving in all conditions/road types then pass plus or a couple of lessons towards it os well worth doing.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm with Admiral at the moment.
    To be honest the last time I shopped around the was very little difference in the quotes I was given.
    Insurance is pretty cheap no I'm 25. :thumb: A couple of hundred quid year. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm with Adrian Flux, they beat all my quotes - They beat my tesco quote by a good £300

I'm a convicted driver though with a crash too - but in my eyes that just made them even better
    I can get tesco insurance for £470 if I have pass plus (which is £100) so that's £570 really, and I get clubcard points. The nearest quote I've had after that is £850!! I swear I've tried everywhere!! :heart: Tesco
    Tesco is really good (although I use Diamond, but that's because they were cheapest for me, they seem to be brilliant for some, but shit for others) alot of people I know use Tesco, including my parents.
    I phoned up Bell, and they put me on to Admiral, who put me on to the broker QuoteA, who got me a quote at NIG. Consider whether it's worth it to get fully comp, because if you're car isn't worth much money, then there's no point paying the extra for it.
    I wouldn't bother with fully-comp unless the car was worth £3k or over. Best to have a £500 car with TPO or TPFT - it'll be a lot cheaper. :)
    I go with tesco, I've had a ban, points and a crash and they've done me a good deal the last few years.
    Ah just seen tesco has 19%apr on monthly payments, virgin has 0%! And cheaper quote on comprehensive cover than tesco has on 3rd party fire and theft. Looks like we have a winner!!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Confused.com didn't give me the cheapest! There was nothing under £900 and I've had at least 3 quotes lower than that :( I think tesco is the way forward

the aa does a good comparison of insurance co.'s :yes:
    direct line is pretty good imo. use to think endsleigh was good but ... changed my opinion on that one.
    Its all so confusing! I shouldn't get comprehensive cover then is it not worth it? My car is worth maybe £500
    I wouldn't bother. From when I was shopping around, you're usually looking at a excess of about £300 on fully comp insurance compared to £100 on third party fire and theft. Your car's only worth £500, so you've got to think what damage you could possibly do to it that would be more than your excess, but less than your car is worth (and then bear in mind that you'd have to pay the £300 excess towards that anyway). For me, I was looking at £200 more for fully comp so there was no way it was worth it.

Oh, and never ever ever pay for your car insurance in monthly installments unless you can't get credit any other way. Use your bank overdraft and use a low interest credit card (with a direct debit set up to pay it off in full over the next year) because almost all car insurance companies will rip you off when it comes to paying in installments, and there are far cheaper ways to do it.
    Virgin don't charge me extra for monthly payments, and they're the cheapest quote anyway. Comprehensive cover is with £150 excess. I can't decide :(
    Whether or not you need comp cover depends on your circumstances, and what the differences are in the quotes.

For my brother and I, we'd be stuffed if the car got written off (or seriously damaged) and wouldn't be able to afford to replace it, so it's worth paying the bit extra for fully comp.
    Whether or not you need comp cover depends on your circumstances, and what the differences are in the quotes.

For my brother and I, we'd be stuffed if the car got written off (or seriously damaged) and wouldn't be able to afford to replace it, so it's worth paying the bit extra for fully comp.

I'm the same. Although to get my car fully comp cost me a fortune, it was worth it as its worth too much just to get third party or third party fire and theft.