Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NOT a date

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This might be a really simple thing for others, but given that 3 years ago I practically had zero social skills, I think I'm excused if it's not simple for me. :p

There is this girl I know, I met her in a party but knew her from a forum from before. I like her as a person, but not in a way that you could say I fancy her or anything (although I don't know her well enough for that). We've been chatting over MSN since the party, at first it was almost an everyday thing but after a while it went more rare. We still find things to talk about though, when we do message.

Anyway, I digress -that's the background. Lately I've been thinking of asking her to meet somewhere, just as a friendly thing. However I'm afraid that she'd think I'm asking her on a date, and that would be awkward.
One idea would be to invite her along somewhere that I'm not going alone and make this clear, but it would have to be with people she doesn't know and I don't know how well they'd get along. Not to mention that she'd probably be the only girl in the group. It was that way when we met, but she didn't seem to mind much.
The only friends of mine that she knows are the two who also were at that party, but when I'm out with them it's mostly for computer games and talk about computers or our computer science university etc (you get the idea) which as far as I know isn't a great interest of hers.

I probably said too much for a small issue, sorry for that. The bottom line is, I don't know how to ask her if she'd like to meet again without making it sound like a date. Or, should I even bother? I don't know how "normal" this kind of thing is.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you just say something like "It would be cool to meet up for coffee of something sometime, not as a date or anything, just as a friendly thing." That way you're both clear about the other's expectations.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    wildchild wrote: »
    Why don't you just say something like "It would be cool to meet up for coffee of something sometime, not as a date or anything, just as a friendly thing." That way you're both clear about the other's expectations.

:yes: makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That simple huh? I guess so. I'm not sure why, but when I thought that it sounded kind of rude... :chin:
    Thanks, though.
  • Options
    Kinda say it jokingly... I would.

Like I say to some of my friends jokingly "I fricken love you, not in a gay way or anything".
  • Options
    That simple huh? I guess so. I'm not sure why, but when I thought that it sounded kind of rude... :chin:
    Thanks, though.

Yeah, know what you mean about the rude thing (well maybe I do) - don't wanna kinda go "not as a date" incase she's hoping it might be?

Maybe, that's why I'd think it was rude :p