Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

care leavers entitlements to housing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
can someone please clarify exactly what a care leaver at 18 is entitled to reguarding housing?

i've just put my name up for regitration with the council housing list, but because i'm on my own and don't have kids, i won't be a prority. but once i leave where i'm living (i can only stay here until i'm 18), i would be classed as homeless. i know that they can put me up in whats called "shared housing" which is basicly a hostel, which i don't really want to do because a lot of dodgy types end up there...and i don't want to live in a hostel long term.

tbh, the leaving care act makes no sense to me, it's very contradictory, if anyone can actually tell me what i'm entitled to in plain (non-lets fobb you off with political jargon) language than that would be great.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    You ever come across the 'Who Cares' magazine?

The autumn edition of that had a great article about leaving care and housing etc, with loads of sourves of info and help. I know the foster carer I babysit for has a copy, I'm not round there again 'til next week but if you need it I can pop round sooner and ask to borrow it.
  • Options
    thats a really big help thanks!

i just need to find out exactly what they class as acceptable housing for someone continuing their education i.e going to uni...cos, if they just leave you in halls, in holidays you have nowhere to go. but that leaves me feeling more hopefully, and i just have even more questions to ask the social now... thanks
  • Options
    Are you not allowed to stay in uni halls during the holidays? I always thought that you were...
  • Options
    thats a really big help thanks!

i just need to find out exactly what they class as acceptable housing for someone continuing their education i.e going to uni...cos, if they just leave you in halls, in holidays you have nowhere to go. but that leaves me feeling more hopefully, and i just have even more questions to ask the social now... thanks

I think the summer holiday scenario is why care leavers who go to university get an additional "care leavers grant" which will pay for rent over the summer holidays.
  • Options
    Heya. Have a look at this link:

http://www.buttletrust.org/

The Frank Buttle Trust gives grants to 'young people in need' and offers among other things a "Grant Scheme for Students and Trainees".

Good luck :)