Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shocking Films/Cinema

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Requiem for a Dream.

Highly disturbing climax.
    :yes:
    Anomie wrote: »
    Requiem for a Dream.

Highly disturbing climax.
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't find gore shoching really - more amusing than anything.

Things like Shindlers List, Scum and Romper Stomper are shocking because you know they're real or could be real.

Horror movies are generally jank.

same here. you should really check out cannibal holocaust mate! you might enjoy that one. most of it is real.
    8MM - Very disturbing, it's about a snuf movie staring Nicolas Cage.
    go seeeeee sympathy for lady vengence pleeeeeeeeeeeeease :p
    I found Betty Blue shocking.
    Irreversible- extreme rape. That's the most shocking movie I've seen.
    Try Almodovar, the spanish director, he's not shocking in a gory way, but with relation to spanish culture, his films are incredibly controversial. Mala Educación- Bad education- for one.
    If it doesn't have to be a movie -

My goth brother brought home a DVD set called "Faces of Death" once. Quite possibly the most shocking thing I have ever seen. It's supposed to be a documentary that focusses on people dying, most in really shocking ways. Some you can tell are fake, but I don't know if the whole thing is. It's made in the 70s I think and the doctor/narrator guy is a ridiculously poor actor but despite all these criticisms (even if it is fake - so are the fictional movies, I suppose) it is just phenomenally shocking. I couldn't watch it all.

I don't even know where you can get it apart from the official website or whether it's legal. But I just went with the title of the thread.
    I found Wolf Creek pretty shocking, for anyone who has seen it the "head on a stick" part was one of the single most disturbing sentances/scenes I think I have ever seen.
    August Undergrounds Mordum really is disturbing. It's commonly known amongst the gore/explotation underground as being the most sick, twisted and fucked up film ever made. Some delights you can expect to see in it include;

Having 2 female captives cutting each others nipples off with scissors

Vomiting, pissing and shitting on said captives

Cutting off a blokes penis and forcing him to eat it

And, IMO, the best of all, foetus eating.
    pah1986 wrote: »
    If it doesn't have to be a movie -

My goth brother brought home a DVD set called "Faces of Death" once. Quite possibly the most shocking thing I have ever seen. It's supposed to be a documentary that focusses on people dying, most in really shocking ways. Some you can tell are fake, but I don't know if the whole thing is. It's made in the 70s I think and the doctor/narrator guy is a ridiculously poor actor but despite all these criticisms (even if it is fake - so are the fictional movies, I suppose) it is just phenomenally shocking. I couldn't watch it all.

I don't even know where you can get it apart from the official website or whether it's legal. But I just went with the title of the thread.

There's a shit load of volumes of FOD out now. And aye, it's legal. I'm pretty sure they even sell it in HMV...

Most of the clips on it are fake, but there's a few that are real. Usually the animal maulings and aftermath shots of people being burnt alive or hit by a train are real. But ther's nothing in FOD that can't be seen on ogrish.com or something.
    Ichi The Killer
    Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
    August Underground's Mordum
    Salo: 120 Days of Sodom

These will be unlke ANYTHING you have seen. US actor Charlie Sheen actually took the Guinea Pig video to the FBI because he thought it was a genuine snuff film. It's pretty grim stuff. You have been warned...

you seen that man, thats one fucked up film
    you seen that man, thats one fucked up film

Yup, very fucked up.
    I know the rape was the masterpiece of Irreverisble, but the whole film was pretty shocking, really. It was quite good cinema, I thought the two men entering the subway, seeing the woman getting raped, and walking away and leaving her to it was a deft touch.
    Scrapbook is the most shocknig film I have ever seen.
    I have it on pirate DVD and I've never heard of it until I got hold of a copy. It's about a twisted serial killer that has a scrapbook of all the women he's raped and murdered. He was sexually abused as a kid. He has one last page in his scrapbook to fullfill and this film is about the story of the last page being filled. Very graffic and quite traumatic.
    i thought of another one, Strangeland.

thats a fucked up one
    Lolita...material was shocking when first released?
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    My Film Studies A2 exam in the summer is on 'Shocking Cinema' so in preparation we have to watch one film that we find shocking every week and write up about it. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas for good shocking films that I could try and get hold of?

I'm thinking...
    -Hostel
    -Saw (1,2 & 3)
    -American Werewolf in London
    -Scum
    -Schindlers List
    -The Ring
    -Train Spotting
    -Clockwork Orange
    -Battle Royale
    -Alien
    -Aliens
    The #1 most shocking film (as agreed on by almost all shock film critics) is a movie called Mordum. It's a fake snuff film with actors made to look real. Highlight scene, dude dressed as a chick, humping a rotting baby whose head has been ducktaped back on, while the dude's sister cheers him on and eats maggots. Sick, Sick stuff.
    The #1 most shocking film (as agreed on by almost all shock film critics) is a movie called Mordum. It's a fake snuff film with actors made to look real. Highlight scene, dude dressed as a chick, humping a rotting baby whose head has been ducktaped back on, while the dude's sister cheers him on and eats maggots. Sick, Sick stuff.

I've mentioned that like 4 times :p

Rise&Shine already mentioned that one. August Underground's Mordum.
    I think gore is not the true mark of a "shocking" film.

give me a clockwork orange over any horror flick any day. that isnt to say i dont love those films and dont think that theyre not brilliant, i do.
    i just think that from an academic point of view, your going to find clockwork orange, requiem for a dream and the other titles in this list that arent gore/horror more thematically viable.

im currently watching, the doom generation.....generation x waffle? or interesting film? anyone?
    I've mentioned that like 4 times :p

And I clearly didn't read the thread....;)
    The idea of the A2 paper isn't horror as a shock as such, more how it affected audiences at the time and in the present, so little known films won't help that much.

Stick with the obvious ones to start; Clockwork Orange, The Exorcist, Evil Dead

Then find articles on shocking cinema, see which films caused media hype so that you can refer back to it in your exam.
    If that's the point the I'd focus on the different reaction between Psycho and Peeping Tom - both shocking, bith twisted genre perceptions - one ended the director's career, the other made the director famous forever. And both were almost the same year.
    Jim V wrote: »
    If that's the point the I'd focus on the different reaction between Psycho and Peeping Tom - both shocking, bith twisted genre perceptions - one ended the director's career, the other made the director famous forever. And both were almost the same year.

We're watching Physcho in class so I'll try and watch Peeping Tom, I've found a few of the films you've mentioned in the library so I'll get them out soon.
    i'd agree with requiem for a dream, esp on the big screen at glastonbury when you're on every drug under the sun, lucky i'd seen it before and knew what was coming...first time i watched it my sister started crying, i had to pause halfway through for a joint it was too stressful lol.
    what's the film where a writer gets his feet cut up by an obsessive fan? Can't remember the name....
    Misery. The writer gets his ankles broken with a sledge hammer so he can't escape from her house. Kathy Bates is fucking scary in that. Never been able to see her in the same way since.
    Addict wrote: »
    Misery. The writer gets his ankles broken with a sledge hammer so he can't escape from her house. Kathy Bates is fucking scary in that. Never been able to see her in the same way since.

that's the one