Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Page cannot be displayed

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
My computer keeps going a bit funny. I have a wireless connection, my ISP is NTL (?! i think?) and far too often it is not letting me onto webpages, and is just coming up with the 'page cannot be displayed - refresh' page.
I must still be connected to the internet as I am able to continue using MSN, but not access any websites.
Rebooting can sometimes help, however, I have done this a few times, and after 5 minutes it will start playing up again.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to reslove it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like you're with NTL alright. Last night I had the same problem. Have had it in the past but it's not very often TBH.

But dont worry, it's not a problem with your system, it's their fault. :banghead:
    If you're saturating your upload bandwidth it might happen, are you downloading anything at the same time? Is your wireless connection being leeched? :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    not downloading anything, what do you mean by leeched?
    someone could use your wireless network if its not secured or they bothered cracking the WEP key

as for the problem.. i have ntl myself and it has a tendancy to play up every once in a while.. powercycle modem, turn it off at mains for 30 secs! generally first troubleshooting step
    No i think dad did something so noone else could use ours. I do the whole unplugging the boxes and waiting and replugging. We thinking its just something that happens? Nowt I can do?
    lol its still pretty easily crackable ;)

and yea it does seem to happen from time to time, give it a day or two then start giving ntl some abuse! :thumb:
    z- wrote: »
    lol its still pretty easily crackable ;)

and yea it does seem to happen from time to time, give it a day or two then start giving ntl some abuse! :thumb:

nooo...I dont want some dirty bastard using my wireless! :grump: I will do the abuse, sounds like fun! Cheers me dears!
    My gut instinct was NTL's DNS server or caching proxy. But when I sent her the IP address for google.co.uk, she still couldn't access the site, which rules out any DNS issues.

I gave up after that, I'm not fluent enough with Windows these days to be much use :).
    Bunnie wrote: »
    No i think dad did something so noone else could use ours.

I'm outside your house posting this! haha :P

z0- wrote:
    lol its still pretty easily crackable
    even WPA?, assuming it has a decent key it's fairly difficult no?

I've used kissmac/kissmet etc and i know 64bit WEP is easy, but WPA?
    Glad you posted this, I was going to post the exact same thing. I've been having this problem for ages now,grrr but I'm with Telewest!