Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Periods and bleeding gums

I'm due to start my period this week. Is there any reason why last night and this morning my gums bled after I'd brushed them? Before anyone says anything, I haven't brushed them too hard.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, you probably did, or just caught the gum funny. Why would you think they're connected?
    Or didn't brush them very well over the last week or so.

Don't think it's related to your period somehow.
    I dont see how it would be connected, you probably did just brush your teeth too hard or you may have a gum infection, if it carries on go to the dentists :thumb:
    :lol: what do they teach kids in school these days?

strangely enough, your gums are not connected to your menstrual system (thank god :crazyeyes)

bleeding of the gums can be a sign of gum disease so if it carries on you should visit a dentist. or it may just be that you brushed too hard
    or, it is actually a symptom of pregnancy if u think that cud b possible.
    Yes that is what i was thinking - you get free dental care on the NHS whilst your pregnant because the baby takes away all your calcuim and other vital teath keeping healthy nutrients.
    Well, at least I think it was to do with that anyway. I only said it because I know my mum has/had the same thing happen to her.

I do brush my teeth properly and I can't be pregnant.
    Sofie, it's not a stupid connection to make at all. I think your gums can bleed around your period because of hormone changes. I've heard of that before anyway.