Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lunch Breaks

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I work for 6 hours and 15 minutes. When I started, I got told that I was only entitled to 20 minutes lunch break, but someone else there was doing 45 minutes less than me and was entitled to the same amount of break as me.

Was talking to a few of the staff there today. They both asked me when I work from and when I work until. They both said that I should be entitled 30 minutes break.

Who's right?:confused:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well that would depend entirely on the company you work for.
    At my place the length of break you get is split into sections for example:
    work less than 5 hours - no break
    work 5 hours or up to 5.5 hours and get 15 minutes
    work 6 hours or upto 6.5 hours and get 30 minutes
    work over 7 hours and get 1 hour unpaid break and 30 mins paid.

I'm not sure of the exact working and break times but its somthing similar.
    There is a certain law, something to do with 15 minutes break for every four hours worked? Someone else might know better.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    There is a certain law, something to do with 15 minutes break for every four hours worked? Someone else might know better.

Which is what I'm sure I overheard a woker saying a while back but I can't remember now.
    Your statutory rights are that, as an adult, you are entitled to a 20 minute break if you work more than 6 hours. Under 18s are entitled to a 30 minute break if they work more than 4.5 hours.
    Which is what my dad told me earlier when I asked him about it.
    Where i work it depends if you work over a meal time.
    Your lucky to get anything, i spend my whole dinner hour marking books and preparing for the afternoon.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I get 30mins unpaid for a ten hour shift and sod all for 5 hours. I can also have two 5-minute coffee breaks if I wish, and they wonder why I'm never at my desk... :rolleyes:
    20mins is fine legal wise. surely thats enough anyway? how long can it take to eat lunch?

i get 15mins in a morning, 30 for dinner and 15 in the afternoon.

thats working 8:30 till 5;15 as standard.

its too much time usually. i generally have a fag and grab a brew then back to work. aint complaining tho, its free money
    Nikki* wrote: »

I may be wrong but i thought that was only for under 18s
    I work 7.15 - 1.15 pm... or 1pm - 9pm, and I get a 30 minute break on each shift. Fine by me, like.
    i think you have to have 15 minutes break during 4 hours no matter how old you are but then after that if you're over 18 it's your choice how much of your entitled break you take. i'm probably wrong though!
    i work at tesco and we get 15 minutes for 4 hours, then when you work 6-8 hours you get 30 minutes then over 8 you get an hour..or is it 9. you get the idea anyway. :)
    At my work you get:

15 minutes for 4 hours work.
    30 minutes for 5 hours work.
    45 minutes for 6+ hours work.

Even if you're working 9-6 and they give you your break at 10:45, you have to take it then and you aren't meant to have another break for the rest of your shift. You can't split it up, either.

It's why I like being a smoker where I work.
    I get an hour for lunch (doesnt count as paid hours though).

and we are supposed to get about 3 10-15 minute breaks though, well I dont know the guys on my team do, I take breaks as when I see fit and as my schedule allows.

Which is nice, on a quiet day I get a break in the morning, a good lunch and then maybe another good 30+ minuter late afternoon hehe :D
    Tweety wrote: »
    Where i work it depends if you work over a meal time.

That makes no difference with where I work - I've had to stay behind and help the staff with the children at lunch time and still only get 20 minutes. TBH, it's not long enough - I only just have enough time to eat my lunch and have a quick drink. Last week, I didn't have any time to have a drink.
    20 minutes is the minimum by law. Although like you said it sucks.

I work at asda as some of you know.

I work a 8 & 1/2 hour shift and in that i get 1/2hr unpaid lunch and a 15 minute break.
    If i worked 8 hours i would only get 30mins dinner nothing else.

If i did 5 hours over either dinner or tea time i would still get 30 mins dinner instead of the 15 mins i would get doing the same hours but not over a meal time.
    Which sucks as you still need a break regardless of the time of day i think.
    I work 6 hours a day and by law I'm not entitled to a break.
    You are entitled to 15 mins every 4 hours over an 8 hour period
    You are getting what you are entitled to by law, 20 mins is enough time for most people to eat a meal if you don't prat about (or want 3 courses). I you're really struggling you could try asking your employer if you could have 10 or 15 minutes more break and then finish that much time later. They may say no but it's worth asking.

Failing that, become a Lifeguard, we get shed loads of breaks thanks to HSE.
    You are getting what you are entitled to by law, 20 mins is enough time for most people to eat a meal if you don't prat about (or want 3 courses). I you're really struggling you could try asking your employer if you could have 10 or 15 minutes more break and then finish that much time later. They may say no but it's worth asking.

I come in early enough as it is. Due to the bus service, I get to work at 8.30 but am meant to start at 9. (If I was to get the later bus, then I'll be 15 minutes late)

If I was to leave 10 minutes later, then I'd have to spend ages waiting around for the bus. Either that or get another bus, walk about amile home and not get home until 5pm...
    when my mum works a full day 8-6.30 i think, they get half an hour

but the rest of the time when its 7.30-2.30 she doesn't get anything - but they get ripped off cause she's a dental nurse, bloody nhs.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    As everyone has said you are getting what you are entitled to by law, however, if you have a feeling other people are getting more than you, speak to a supervisor/manager and ask to see what their policies are regarding rest breaks.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    when my mum works a full day 8-6.30 i think, they get half an hour

but the rest of the time when its 7.30-2.30 she doesn't get anything - but they get ripped off cause she's a dental nurse, bloody nhs.

thats too long without a break. She is entitled to a break if she works over 6 hours by law. You sure thats the right times? Its unlikely a big institution like the NHS would get something like that wrong.
    Bunnie wrote: »
    thats too long without a break. She is entitled to a break if she works over 6 hours by law. You sure thats the right times? Its unlikely a big institution like the NHS would get something like that wrong.

yes they are the times, also depending if they run over which they usually do. Well, the practice is owned by oasis, but they still do nhs work and also private work there.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    yes they are the times, also depending if they run over which they usually do. Well, the practice is owned by oasis, but they still do nhs work and also private work there.

I would ask your mum to look up the working time regulations. She shouldnt be working that shift without a break.
    Bunnie wrote: »

I got told it was 4 and not 6? (15 minute break for 4 hours work or something)
    Sofie wrote: »
    I got told it was 4 and not 6? (15 minute break for 4 hours work or something)

It depends on your age, but you are over 18 arent you?
    No. I'm not 18 until April.
    aah i see, well then, thats different. :D

You are entitled to a 30 minute uninterrupted break for every 4 and half hours you are working. It may be a case that they arent aware of this or your age, it depends where it is. However, just have a quick word and say, 'Ive been doing a bit of research, and I think that I am entitled to longer due to my age.

ETA: You are also entitled to have a 12 hour rest period between shifts, this can often be a problem in a supermarket when you have done a late shift on the Friday, and in at the crack of dawn on the Saturday. They cant force you to work these shifts. However, that was just a bit of rather random info :thumb:
    Doesn't rest period apply to everyone though? Doesn't affect me though as I only work there on a Monday and a Wednesday.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Doesn't rest period apply to everyone though? Doesn't affect me though as I only work there on a Monday and a Wednesday.

nah its only 11 for over 18s and even that isnt as strict.