Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vaccuum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Our vaccuum is up the creek.

It's been up the creek for ages.

When it goes for a while and then cuts out and is really hot.

Our landlord has taken it apart seventytenmillionsquillion times and then turns it on.

Obviously because it's not hot it seems fine.

He refuses to replace it and thinks we're just being a pain.

We can't vaccuum because of it and he's complaining about it.

We thought about buying a new one but can't really afford it.

What are our rights?

Comments

• Options
    Your rights depend on the contract.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

What are our rights?

You're in luck, someone has asked about this on askTheSite and here is the archived Q&A: Vacuum vex

Hope it helps :)
  • Options
    I would've thought that if it was provided with the flat then he would have to maintain it.. It was like that at uni anyway, but you'd have to see your tenancy agreement.

If all else fails push it down the stairs and deliver the peices to him :)
  • Options
    Reasonable wear and tear means that you don't have to fix it, really.

I seriously doubt that you can't afford a new one, though- my vac cost me £20 from Asda.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Kermit wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that you can't afford a new one, though- my vac cost me £20 from Asda.

:yes: they are quite the bargains nowadays!

I would recommend seeing your tenancy agreement, but to be honest, ill be very suprised if it states they will replace it. Student landlords arent daft and take advantage of the fact you have about 2 days to find somewhere to live, and you are more concerned about your property rather than any formal agreement.
    They have bigger overheads than ordinary landlords, students make much more mess...spillages galore!
  • Options
    If the vacuum is part of the landlords obligations, and it continues to play up, put a blown fuse in there a couple of times when calling him out. People are more likely to believe there is a fault :).

How to blow a fuse - I don't recommend doing it, but either put it in a higher-wattage device than it is capable of handling(microwave, tumble dryer, etc), or place a wire from live to neutral in the plug, and stand well back. Though I'd seriously not recommend the latter!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Reasonable wear and tear means that you don't have to fix it, really.

Indeed