Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing Pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last week I changed from Yasmin to Loestrin which has lower eostrogen levels and a different type of progesterone. I did this for a couple of reasons. Anyway i'm having a hard time because of it. i thought i'd adjusted to it because i was a complete bitch/really irritable at the beginning of last week but then that passed and i felt really happy. But now the slightest thing gets me upset and I can't cope with thing I normally can.

Whats everyones experiences of changing a brand of pill? And have any of you ever been on Loestrin? My friend was on it and she bled constantly - I've had a bit of spotting but thats gone now. I guess I just need to hear about other people.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I changed not so long ago from microgynon to femodette because I was getting soooo moody and had constant boob ache. Sexy. Didn't really have any problems changing. A couple of my friends have changed brands of pill with no worries, but I know it is quite common to experience some problems. It does sound like what you're experiencing is due to the change in hormones, if I were you I'd give it a couple of weeks to see if it settles, and if not go back and try another brand :)
    I was originally on Microgynon - it gave me really bad period pains and made me really moody. Then I switched to Loestrin and all that went away. I'm no longer moody, and I barely get periods anymore which is a bonus!

I'd at least give it a month and see how you feel, but if you don't feel comfortable, then it might be an idea to change the type of pill again. It's all about what works best for you.
    I changed from microgynon 30 to loestrin 20 because it was giving me unexplained chest pains. I'm still on loestrin 20 and have been for about 9 months/ish. My mood didn't really change but i don't bleed anymore on my breaks because it's so light. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but i'd try at least 1 pack first, if it really doesnt sort itself out then you may have to change again.
    i swapped from microgynon to cerazete

thought it was great for the first 3 months, didnt have a bleed, then i was on for 5 weeks! not seen anythin this month tho *touch wood*

my skin got worse too
    Littleali wrote:
    i swapped from microgynon to cerazete

thought it was great for the first 3 months, didnt have a bleed, then i was on for 5 weeks! not seen anythin this month tho *touch wood*

my skin got worse too

that happened to me too it was fine for months then i bled for about 2 months i think after that it was fine again but then at xmas it was 6weeks so i just changed onto femodette so far no problems but its only been a week and a half.
    sometimes though you can get really bad mood swings because of the hormones, if your not happy with it after a couplea weeks or the first pack go back and ask to try something else it can take awhile to find a pill that agrees with you
    I tried millions of brands of pill. The main swap I remember was from Microgynon to Mercilon (I think). They swapped me because I'd gained a ridiculous amount of weight while on it, I kept a food diary to prove I wasn't over eating and everything. They put me on Mercilon and I was evil. I cried at anything going, and the weight crept on even more (1 stone in about a month, when eating very little since it made me ill)

It's one of those things where you have to be prepared to wait it out, or chop and change. Me, I gave up :D
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i cant believe how many people have been on Microgynon and then come off it. Im on it, and I think it is a bit shit, but they just keep telling me to 'see how things go, see if they improve'.

Lipsy, I think you need to give it a couple of months till you know 100% everything is ok, so Id not worry just yet me dear!
    Bunnie wrote:
    i cant believe how many people have been on Microgynon and then come off it. Im on it, and I think it is a bit shit, but they just keep telling me to 'see how things go, see if they improve'.

Microgynon made me moody as hell, achey and generally feeling very unwell.
    How long have you been on Microgynon Bunnie? If it's not improved after 3 months it probably won't so it's worth being a little more forceful about trying something else.

Lots of people have been on Microgynon and changed off it because it's almost always the first one they put people on, and you don't hear from the ones that go on it and have no problems.
    How long have you been on Microgynon Bunnie? If it's not improved after 3 months it probably won't so it's worth being a little more forceful about trying something else.

Lots of people have been on Microgynon and changed off it because it's almost always the first one they put people on, and you don't hear from the ones that go on it and have no problems.
    nearly 8 months or so. I might just have another try when Im next in there. Im very good at taking it though *gushes pride* never thought I would be.
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Microgynon made me moody as hell, achey and generally feeling very unwell.
    moody is the problem, and the whole, "Ive broken my nail, the world has ended" and crying for an hour.

I also have period pains with them, which I thought I wasnt supposed to get, and my periods (although shorter) are much heavier, so much so, that I have had to go up to the green tampax. (oh what a pleasant post)
    Whinge more when you go back, which I'd guess is pretty soon. When they say 'any problems' say yes and list them all and ask if there's anything that might help or if you could try something else.
    Whinge more when you go back, which I'd guess is pretty soon. When they say 'any problems' say yes and list them all and ask if there's anything that might help or if you could try something else.
    cheers love, and if I still dont get swapped, you can come with me and fight my corner :thumb:
    All you have to do is ask and I'll be there!
    ;)
    One of the GPs at my surgery at home is a twat, I pretty much mastered the art of fighting my own corner. He made it pretty clear he thought I was a complete slut for wanting to go on the pill and that if I was so desperate for it I should put up with the side effects. Handily a nice nurse told me otherwise and all is good now.
    i was on microgynon for just over a year and a half, decided to come off it a few weeks ago. i only went on it for contraceptive reasons when i was with my ex (also to make periods a little less painful) and we split up just over a year ago so i decided to give it a go without. hoping i won't turn into a spotty teenager!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I was on microgynon for about 3 years and then they decided to take me off it for something completely unrelated. Then I ended up chopping and changing pills until I ended up on cerazette and I love it. Been on it about 18 months, not had a period for 17 of them and I am not as moody and it just suits me better.
    Cerazette freaked me out, didn't have a single period, which seemed fine at initially but I kinda like the reassurance.
    well i think my mood has gone back to normal although i have a feeling im a bit more sensitive to things than i used to be. my sex drive has gone sky high though :thumb:
    you don't hear from the ones that go on it and have no problems.

*waves hand* At least, I'm pretty sure I've had no problems with it but I've been on it for so long that I do wonder what I'd be like without it :chin:

I've been on it for nearly 6 years and not had any problems. I used to have the most irregular periods, with excruciating pain to boot. So i started it partly for that and partly for contraception. I have since been pain free, and bar the odd *minor* (tho im sure my other half would disagree!!) bouts of PMT and several episodes of missed periods, i have been fine on it...no probs :thumb:
    I was having this convo last week.

Changing bills has been the bane of my existence in the past.
    But I managed to stumble onto an absolute godsend called triphasil 28
    I had the most ridulous side-effects and reactions to all the other pills I tried, but triphasil is amazing.
    I've been on it for 6 years now.

Just google it.

Luck!