Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

question aout how abortions work

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote: »

Sterilisation and vasectomy is not 100% effective either. We had a patient who had become pregnant twice after a tubal ligation.

:yes: My uncle had three vasectomies One after each kid.
    Yikes :eek:
    he hasnt had one for a while though. The last one must have worked.
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Another question, is there a legal time limit for abortions to take place in the UK, or can it be done up to 9 months?

I don't mean to sound rude but who would let someone terminate a 9 month old baby!?

How would you get rid of it? Give birth and do god knows what to the poor little thing. That's a fully grown baby you'd be killing, surely it'd be common sense to know that you couldn't abort a pregnancy that late on or am i the only one to think that?
    squeal wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound rude but who would let someone terminate a 9 month old baby!?

How would you get rid of it? Give birth and do god knows what to the poor little thing. That's a fully grown baby you'd be killing, surely it'd be common sense to know that you couldn't abort a pregnancy that late on or am i the only one to think that?

As with later teminations, an injection of digoxin into the foetal heart to stop it so 'god knows what' wouldn't happen to the 'poor little thing' then misoprostol would be administered in a large enough dose to bring on labour, and the woman would 'give birth' to the foetus, which is already dead.

Regarding 'who' would let a woman terminate at a late stage, it would be between the healthcare professionals and the woman. When my cousin had serious problems with her pregnancy and the twins she was carrying, she was offered a termination right up until the day she gave birth prematurely.

Terminations at such a late stage are so rare anyway, normally problems with the foetus or problems with the woman would be detected early enough. It's normally the media and anti-abortion side that push the picture of a woman tra-la-laing through her pregnancy then deciding she wants rid right at the last minute because it's ever so fun.
    As with later teminations, an injection of digoxin into the foetal heart to stop it so 'god knows what' wouldn't happen to the 'poor little thing' then misoprostol would be administered in a large enough dose to bring on labour, and the woman would 'give birth' to the foetus, which is already dead.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
    Thanks everyone for the info. :)
    yeah well thats RC schools for ya!

The most common I think is a D&C which stands for dilation and curratege(sp?)
    They dilate the cervix, and remove everything thats in the womb - the womb lining and the embryo with it. Its the same procedure they use to empty any retained products after an incomplete miscarriage too or sometimes even for very heavy periods.

I'm confused.

A few years back, I was bleeding quite heavily and it was weird so went to the hospital, when I arrived at the hospital, they told me I was miscarrying. I was around 6 weeks pregnant (I think, I'm still not completely sure) but they offered me that D & C shit but I didn't want it.

Why offer me that if its a form of abortion if I was miscarrying anyways? I was still bleeding and bled for 2 weeks, it wasn't incomplete (well it was, but it carried on naturally)
    Janjan wrote: »
    this may be abit graphic and alot of you might not want to know, so i apologise in advanced.. being at a roman catholic school, they thought it would scare the life out of us to show us an abortion taking place, via the scan things u usually see the baby on when having a check up etc.

Basically, from what I saw.. they have this tube, works like a hoover I guess, it's suction is so strong that it pulls the tiny baby apart, literally, until the 'bits' are small enough to come out. Meanwhile, on this scan you can physically see the baby, at such an early stage, struggle to stay away from the suction.
    thinking about it now, this is probably an extremely late on abortion, but never the less it was nasty to see.
    That's just made me cry, I've never regretted the abortion I had so much.
    Why offer me that if its a form of abortion if I was miscarrying anyways? I was still bleeding and bled for 2 weeks, it wasn't incomplete (well it was, but it carried on naturally)

D&C isn't just used for abortions. It's used for missed miscarriages if people don't/can't manage it by conservative means i.e. bleeding, and also for diagnostic procedures to investigate women who may be having heavy periods etc.

Please don't be upset :( The film talked about is called the 'Silent Scream' and it is a common scare tactic from the antis. It has also been frequently debunked. For the record, I have assisted in 2nd trimester terminations using ultrasound as visual guidance, and there has been none of this 'struggling' or 'moving' nonsense given that the foetus is knocked out by the general anaesthetic that the woman has. And as the website says, at 12 weeks, any movement the foetus makes is purely reflex movement as it lacks the cognition to know what's going on.
    VinylVicky wrote: »

:crying: hugs Vicky. We all do what is right for us at the time (((hugs))) :heart:
    I'm confused.

A few years back, I was bleeding quite heavily and it was weird so went to the hospital, when I arrived at the hospital, they told me I was miscarrying. I was around 6 weeks pregnant (I think, I'm still not completely sure) but they offered me that D & C shit but I didn't want it.

It is often used as it means you dont have to go through a long drawn out, possibly painful miscarriage, or if the miscarriage doesnt complete naturally, it can cause infection, so some people need a D&C even after miscarrying naturally.
    D&C isn't just used for abortions. It's used for missed miscarriages if people don't/can't manage it by conservative means i.e. bleeding, and also for diagnostic procedures to investigate women who may be having heavy periods etc.

Please don't be upset :( The film talked about is called the 'Silent Scream' and it is a common scare tactic from the antis. It has also been frequently debunked. For the record, I have assisted in 2nd trimester terminations using ultrasound as visual guidance, and there has been none of this 'struggling' or 'moving' nonsense given that the foetus is knocked out by the general anaesthetic that the woman has. And as the website says, at 12 weeks, any movement the foetus makes is purely reflex movement as it lacks the cognition to know what's going on.
    It was the thought of the foetus moving away from the suction that did it, if I'd have thought that happened then I would have thought twice. Its reassuring to know that it's not true.

:crying: hugs Vicky. We all do what is right for us at the time (((hugs))) :heart:
    Thanks chick, I know you're right.
    satehen wrote: »
    after all no method (apart from abstinance or sterilisation) is 100% fail proof.

I agree with abstinence...but my mum's friend had a baby after having been sterilised for 5 years!! :crazyeyes I think they say there is something like a 1% failure risk
    I agree with abstinence...but my mum's friend had a baby after having been sterilised for 5 years!! :crazyeyes I think they say there is something like a 1% failure risk

Like everything in life, nothing is perfect. I feel for you vicky, a good friend of mine had an abortion last year and she was inconsolable. It was the only thing she could have done in the situation though, and definitely was better than bringing a child into the world who she couldnt support. Don't listen to all the lies about the foetus' experience of abortion hunny.
    It is often used as it means you dont have to go through a long drawn out, possibly painful miscarriage, or if the miscarriage doesnt complete naturally, it can cause infection, so some people need a D&C even after miscarrying naturally.

Oh.

Well, I was given the option. I wasn't told I needed it or anything. I said no because I didn't want to be put under, I was on my own and scared (ex bf - twat - didn't give a fuck that I was losing his fucking baby and left me on my own as he was with a girl he was cheating on me with:mad:)

Thanks for clearing that up for me though, it had me confused.