Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

This is totally gay

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote: »
    You are not being hateful.

However, by using words like 'gay' in a negative context - albeit quite innocently in your eyes - you are entrenching a negative word for something that ought not to have negative connotations.
    Hear hear
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You are not being hateful.

However, by using words like 'gay' in a negative context - albeit quite innocently in your eyes - you are entrenching a negative word for something that ought not to have negative connotations.

I guess so. The thing is, society often changes word meanings like this. I just wonder what the slangs will be when I have kids, so I can be out of tune with the times.

Hell, I have used words like Rad an Ace alot. I AM out of touch as it is.

Rad as it gets.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    IHell, I have used words like Rad an Ace alot.

That's so 80's :D Do you have a Bon Jovi perm?
  • Options
    Isn't this the same as the name Dick? My mum calls me Dick :(. Dick is a loving affectionate name, yet people use it in a negative way. Can't say it has ever bothered me once, but if the word gay shouldn't be used as it's offensive to gay people, then is my name the same, or not? :chin:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Isn't this the same as the name Dick? My mum calls me Dick :(. Dick is a loving affectionate name, yet people use it in a negative way. Can't say it has ever bothered me once, but if the word gay shouldn't be used as it's offensive to gay people, then is my name the same, or not? :chin:

That's an odd one, because using Dick as an insult is the same as calling someone a nob or a cock. It's insulting someone based on the meaning of the word referring to a penis, rather than the meaning of the word referring to the name, or the door handle, or the rooster. I think calling something gay however, is using the homosexual meaning of the word as an insult, especially among teenage boys.
  • Options
    Whenever I used it, it wasn't that I was referring to anyone as 'gay', more just picked up language. As far as I recall the only time it was ever used as an insult was against me in primary school (people thought I was gay, and used to bully me :confused: - though I don't know if gay was the reason they were bullying me or more used as an insult to try to upset me!).

Whenever I used it, it would be "Oh that's so GAY, we missed the bus!!". Though now, a subtle 'bollocks.' is just lovely! :D Language has a nice way of evolving, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    That's so 80's :D Do you have a Bon Jovi perm?

No.

But I am tempted to get a mullet.
  • Options
    calling things gay is still common. its not limited to 13yr olds.

ive said 'get of me, u bummer!' before. (though thats more of a reference to the series 'spaced'.)
    to me its a private joke between friends. i have no gay best friends. i dont say it in public, i wouldnt say it to a gay bloke unless we were good mates, i wouldnt say it to anyone unless we were good mates. it wont offend anyone cos i dont say it around people who would be offended. but i can still say to someone i know to 'stop being a queer'. is it any different that saying 'stop being such a girl'? no! and people always say that.

i take the piss out of lads who drink blue WKD by calling it a 'pint of girl'. is that really offensive?

i also tell racist jokes. so what? everyone does. doesn't make us all racists or homophobes. im sure there are many jokes for gay people aimed at straight people and there are many white jokes common among other races. i have an indian mate who takes the piss out of me for not being brown!

if people are getting offended by them its because they are too sensitive.

if i heard 2 gay guys telling a joke about straight men, or saying 'ooh dont be so straight', would i be bothered?
    would i heck as like....

this topic is as pathetic as that 'jade goody is a racist' thread. everyones so friggin sensitive.

it not as if there arn't real nasty bastard homophobe and racist gangs going around beating and murdering people every fucking day. theres more things to be worried about that the occasional use (or mis-use) of the word 'bummer', imo.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    i also tell racist jokes. so what? everyone does.

No, they don't.
  • Options
    you trying to say that you've never told or laughed at an 'english scotsman and an irishman' joke? or said northern monkey/southern fairy (or similar)? or impersonated an accent?

i'd find it very hard to believe you if you said no.
  • Options
    I am not racist at all, but I do find most racist jokes funny, and I am known to repeat them.

So what? It's a joke. I think the thing with jokes is they are all the same, everyone has a line. If you cross mine I will punch you in the face.

Whether it be race/age/sexuality/weight - it could be anything.. jokes are jokes, some are close to the bone etc but there we go.

Anyway, I think using this word in a negative term is definately not on. I don't agree with it, although I do think it's easy to pick up these terms when so many people use them, it takes a while to consciously stop yourself doing it..
  • Options
    they are too sensitive.

if i heard 2 gay guys telling a joke about straight men, or saying 'ooh dont be so straight', would i be bothered?
    would i heck as like....

Yeah but I'm sure heterosexuals have not been discriminated against for the sexuality as gay people have.
  • Options
    Yeah but I'm sure heterosexuals have not been discriminated against for the sexuality as gay people have.

and i bet a lot have put up with a lot worse than someone saying 'thats gay'. little throwaway comments should be insignificant.

anyway, im aware people get offended by stuff, so i dont say 'get of me, u bummer!' to anyone but my friends, who all take the mick out of each other and are used to it.
    I'm With Stupid.

ETA: Whilst the majority of people don't say "a black" plenty of people have no problem saying "an asian" or "an afro-caribbean." Personally, I don't tend to refer to many groups as "a" but I'm sure I do do it on occasion. Why all the P.C. questions lately incidentally?

saying 'a black' differs from saying 'an asian' in they way that asia is where that person is from, whereas black is the colour of that persons skin, and could in theory be from anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    you trying to say that you've never told or laughed at an 'english scotsman and an irishman' joke? or said northern monkey/southern fairy (or similar)? or impersonated an accent?

i'd find it very hard to believe you if you said no.

How is impersonating a nothern accent racist?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »

It depends what someone means by "race".

As you are probably aware, even the academic "experts" can`t agree, if indeed they accept there is such a thing.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    It depends what someone means by "race".

As you are probably aware, even the academic "experts" can`t agree, if indeed they accept there is such a thing.

Good point.

So in conclusion, it offends some gay people, but then should gay people be more tolerant of the word? Well, they shouldn't have to be, and if it's something that offends them then we should try not to use it. N*gger used to be a perfectly used word, it was just slang for negro, which means black (literally), then it became derogatory, insulting.

I think it's in the mind of every good person that they want to use their language so it least offends the most amount of people, even if people are being overly sensitive, the English language has lots of words so why risk it?
  • Options
    N*gger used to be a perfectly used word, it was just slang for negro, which means black (literally), then it became derogatory, insulting.

Errmmm...
  • Options
    saying 'a black' differs from saying 'an asian' in they way that asia is where that person is from, whereas black is the colour of that persons skin, and could in theory be from anywhere in the world.

What about all the "British asians" who've never set foot in Asia?
  • Options
    . N*gger used to be a perfectly used word, it was just slang for negro, which means black (literally), then it became derogatory, insulting.
    My gran remembers buying a carpert called n*gger brown.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    My gran remembers buying a carpert called n*gger brown.

It used to be a common term for a shade of brown. It related, i think, to the river Niger as it's brown due to all the mud/sand that's in it.
  • Options
    Errmmm...

I take that as you're not sure you believe me?
    The Spanish word negro originates from the Latin word niger, meaning black. In English, negro or neger became negar and finally nigger, most likely under influence of French nègre (also derived from the Latin niger).

In the United States, the word nigger was not always considered derogatory, but was used by some as merely denotative of black, as it was in other parts of the English-speaking world. In nineteenth-century literature, there are many uses of the word nigger with no intended negative connotation.

In the 1800s, as nigger began to acquire the pejorative connotation it holds today, the term "Colored" gained popularity as a kinder alternative to negro and associated terms. For example, abolitionists in Boston, Massachusetts posted warnings to "Colored People of Boston and vicinity." The name of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People reflects the preference for this term at the time of the NAACP's founding in 1909.

- Wikipedia Article

:)

It is the case with most insults that they don't begin as insulting, more descriptive, and an emotional attatchment to that word is made. Even many English swearwords are just the literal words from saxon for something - fuck, means to have sex, shit means to defecate, etc. etc. Just like how now where 'gay' may be considered offensive in some cases, whereas before it was just a descriptive word.
  • Options
    It is the case with most insults that they don't begin as insulting, more descriptive, and an emotional attatchment to that word is made. Even many English swearwords are just the literal words from saxon for something - fuck, means to have sex, shit means to defecate, etc. etc. Just like how now where 'gay' may be considered offensive in some cases, whereas before it was just a descriptive word.
    However, once the n-word began to be used to describe people, it was targeted specifically at people who were different from those who said it. Therefore from the start of people using the n-word to describe people with dark skin, it has been associated with discrimination and thus has had derogatory connotations.

The n-word has for several years meant only one thing, and pretty much to one group of people. Recently it's been reclaimed by black people, but mostly it's still a derogatory term. 'Gay' seems to mean very different things in a variety of contexts to different people. I think a lot of the kids who use the word 'gay' as an insult don't directly link it to homosexuality. They just use it because their friends do, and in that sense it has been removed slightly from the negative portrayal of homosexuality.

Of course that isn't always the case, and as long as any word describing a group of people is also used as an insult that word will be offensive to some people. It also reinforces negative stereotypes: if a child has never met a gay person, and their only contact with any reference to gay people has been in a negative manner, then it's probable they will have a negative view on gay people purely because of that association.
  • Options

how is it different from impersonating a gay or an indian?
  • Options
    What about all the "British asians" who've never set foot in Asia?

well that means they have asian origin or families. whats your point? or are you just picking? being 'asian' implies a lot more than skin colour.
  • Options
    how is it different from impersonating a gay or an indian?

How does one impersonate "a gay"? :confused:
  • Options

Bent wrist, overly camp voice... use your imagination! 'OOoh DARLING! I'm so GAY today!' or something to that effect I'd think!
  • Options
    this topic is as pathetic as that 'jade goody is a racist' thread. everyones so friggin sensitive.

So why do you only use those words and phrases around your 'best mates'? It seems to display a degree of sensitivity on your part - which contradicts the above. :confused:
  • Options

by playing to the stereotype, acting feminine if their a guy or masculine if they're a chick.
  • Options
    So why do you only use those words and phrases around your 'best mates'? It seems to display a degree of sensitivity on your part - which contradicts the above. :confused:

dont play dumb. and dont twist my words.

definitions of sensitivity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitivity_%28human%29
    Sensitivity
    2) Reacting appropriately to the emotions or situation of other people, tactful.
    3) Readily getting hurt or upset.

i show number 2, i feel a lot of people show number 3.

is that still confusing?
  • Options
    Bent wrist, overly camp voice... use your imagination! 'OOoh DARLING! I'm so GAY today!' or something to that effect I'd think!

That's impersonating a camp person. Not all camp people are gay, not all gay people are camp.