Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Phobias

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Inspired by the Pickle Phobia video, what are you all afraid of?

i believe we should all councel eachother through these fears :razz:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only thing I fear is the dentist. I literally shake and cry when I go.
    Phones. Get panic attacks if the phone rings... Or if I have to answer it or make a phone-call. :blush:

Doesn't seem to have the same affect with my mobile... :confused:
    vomit
    Flying spiders... whatever they're called. Bunch of nasties who should be exterminated this instant!
    Heights. I have major panic attacks, even when I'm not that high. Escalators are a no no and I can't even go upstairs in our local shopping centre. Also, open spaces. I get very nervous. Palms sweating, teeth chattering. The whole KABBALAH
    puking, or other people puking near me.

I really fucking hate dentists too, but i wouldn't say that's a phobia cause it's not irrational, my dentist actually is a mean bastard.
    Oh I forgot the puking one too.

It's why I can't drink too much alcohol and hence why I've never been very drunk. Only tipsy.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Graphical glitches. :o
    puking yes, eugh, used to be really bad with that when I was younger.

now I often get afraid of situations that I can't get out of, that whether I like it or not I'm stuck in, like on a ferry, on a plane or in exams :(
    Wasps. And it seems to be getting worse, not better-there was one in my seminars last semester and I had to leave because I had a panic attack :(
    Random industrial things. like big gas pipes going overground. urgh

Used to be scared of lifts-- am only slightly better now, if they're new and mirrored im fine, if they're old i cant stand them.
    I dont like wrists ... yes those things that attach to your arms. I always think if anyone touches mine they are going to tear through the skin and cut an artery. mellow dramatic I know but it makes me feel ill even thinking about it!:yuck:
    Jellyfish, and that's about it.
    can't go anywhere near Broken Glass. Brings up bad memories and makes me have a panic attack. There's some places I can't go now coz there's always loads of broken glass outside.
    Spiders scare me. Not too long ago I was trapped downstairs becasue there was a spider by the stiars and nobody to make it go away. Pretty much all insects I don't like, though I would hardly consider it to be an actual phobia, just a dislike.
    Nope just lucky!
    I'm VERY claustrophobic, I can't stand small confined spaces without much air, or room, or a way out. I really freak out at the thought of being stuck somewhere small, like when I was younger I went pot-holeing (think that's what it's called) and I got like 5 metres into the tunnel and really freaked out and everyone had to move back to let me out lol.
    I'm also quite bad with heights, although I do love being on top of mountains looking at the view.
    I hate people touching my neck too.
    I didn't think I had any but then looking at this thread brought it all back. I have a serious puking phobia - I just don't deal with it - though I am getting much better but it took years before i could leave the house without an armful of medicines to combat any random bouts of sickness I might have - not that i ever was actually sick I just used to think I would be sick. I'm down to just mints and a bottle of water at the moment but I think thats not tooooooo bad. I too also cant' drink that much through fear of puking - but i've definately been drunk - but only once got to the almost puking stadge and that wasn't very pretty for all involved - I didn't puke though but went to extreme lenghts to not puke.

Oh also randomly the underside of boats - when they are in the water - i'm petrified of them - but once they are out of the water i'm OK - this is an occupational hazard if you like sailing.

My best friend however has a phobia of buttons - to the extent that we are not even allowed to use the word in front of her...........
    I've remembered my other one:
    people touching my neck.
    When I was a small child a family friend was joking around and pretended to strangle me with both hands around my neck.

Since then I don't like to have my neck touched, I have to really trust someone and will go mad if someone puts their hands round my neck in a strangle type position.
    Wyetry wrote: »

My best friend however has a phobia of buttons - to the extent that we are not even allowed to use the word in front of her...........

I know someone who has a phobia of buttons. I mean what the fuck is up with that? Seriously, I thought they were joking when they first told me.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I know someone who has a phobia of buttons. I mean what the fuck is up with that? Seriously, I thought they were joking when they first told me.

Apparently its not that uncommon and often people have related phobias of other small things in particular 1p and 5p's.

But it totally dominates her life - she cant' wear anything with buttons on it and even banns her husband from wearing clothes without buttons (except when he really cant' get away with out a suit and tie) - plus when they have children she has already refused to dress them if they go to a school which requires them to wear a shirt or even to wash the shirts presumably. And the other day I asked her opinoion on a dress and she couldnt' tell me if it looked good or not because it had buttons on it.............
    needles and pigeons
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Apparently its not that uncommon and often people have related phobias of other small things in particular 1p and 5p's.

But it totally dominates her life - she cant' wear anything with buttons on it and even banns her husband from wearing clothes without buttons (except when he really cant' get away with out a suit and tie) - plus when they have children she has already refused to dress them if they go to a school which requires them to wear a shirt or even to wash the shirts presumably. And the other day I asked her opinoion on a dress and she couldnt' tell me if it looked good or not because it had buttons on it.............

It's strange though, I mean fair enough we all have different fears and some people don't find things scary that other people do, but I just can't see what's so scary about buttons?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Other strange fears I have (but not phobias) are partly deflated balloons and mushrooms. I just can't stand looking at them and shiver at the thought, but I wouldn't scream or run away or anything.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    It's strange though, I mean fair enough we all have different fears and some people don't find things scary that other people do, but I just can't see what's so scary about buttons?

Me neither and apparently she doesnt' even want to like them because they are so horrible. Therfore i have no problem in using the b word in front of her.

I also have another friend who has a phobia of rubber and hates baloons and stuff but has learnt to get over it now she is a midwife and needs to wear rubber gloves all the time
    I have a phobia of being sick, and others being sick. Didn't really realise how common it seems to be!

One of my neighbours has a serious phobia of wooden lolly sticks. Bit of an odd one!
    Spiders, daddy long legs, any other insects with long legs, some heights, fast glass lifts.
    Actually no phobias... I defeated my arachnaphobia by handing a Chilean Rose tarantula and learning about spiders. Now I love them.

I don't like fish though, they gross me out. Also not fond of eyeballs... I hate the touch of leather too, just because I think it's gross.
    Being sick - yes, it is a very common one!

Also spiders.
    I never used to be scared of anything except wasps/bees, but now theres more things :(
    crowded places or being somewhere where i cant see a way to get out i start getting panicy and have to get out so now i just avoid anywhere crowded
    having my wrists exposed when im sleeping, i cant sleep with the inside of my wrist up or not under a cover because i feel like someone will come and chop it off
    Also dogs, but thats partly because when i was in town once a drunk mans dog started chasing me and i ran away so it chased me round the whole of a green, though also cos they always seem to be hyper and jump up on you