Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Chlorine in rizlas?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay well I like to use silver rizlas but as far as i'm aware these contain chlorine, as unlike blues they don't state they are chlorine free.

I've searched on the web but I can't find any explanation of the dangers of smoking rizla with chlorine in although lots of people mention it is dangerous..... Well can anyone help me out in what it actually does? I've just had a blue rizla spliff and I don't like it!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The silver ones always used to say they were clorine free, they may well still be, you could ask Rizla.

As for the harm, that's probably towards the bottom of the list of worries, most people dont put a proper filter in and cannabis is quite high in tar. At least try not to use cig baccy, its even more loaded with unpleasant bits than rolling stuff.
    The silver rizlas definately don't say they are chlorine free. And from what I know they use it strengthen the paper because it's so thin, and they definately need something to strengthen the paper.

I really want to know if it is actually at the bottom of my worries, because if it isn't I will stop using silvers. But no one seems to know.

I never use cig baccy, always rolling. Cig baccys nasty (to me anyways as i dont smoke fags) and rolling baccys loads cheaper and loads easier to roll with!
    The silver rizlas definately don't say they are chlorine free. And from what I know they use it strengthen the paper because it's so thin, and they definately need something to strengthen the paper.

Why, or more importantly how would they use it to strengthen the papers?

Its used to make the paper white.
    But the paper isn't white it's completely see through.

They would strengthen the paper so it doesn't rip when your rolling. As I would imagine silvers would do if there wasn't something making the paper strong. I don't know how they use it, as far as I know chlorines a liquid so I just imagine they'd coat the paper in it.
    Well sort of, its like tracing paper, and thats just as tough as a silver rizla.

As for what they use the chlorine for, I've only ever heard of it being used to bleach the paper to make it nice and white (which this is). Where did you read that its used to strengthen the paper?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I am fairly certain the chlorine is there only to bleach the paper white. The transparency is all to do with how thick the paper is. If the paper is white, rather than brownish, it has been bleached.
    Well theres some talk of it being used to strengthen the paper here http://forum.everyonedoesit.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61444

And i've always heard, and thought myself that it was being used to strengthen because without some added ingredient paper that thin would surely just rip.

If they use it to make the paper white, howcome blue rizlas are very white but they don't contain it?

And the traciing paper, that's how I would compare silver rizlas and I had assumed tracing paper probably using the same method of strengthening.
    Well theres some talk of it being used to strengthen the paper here http://forum.everyonedoesit.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61444

And i've always heard, and thought myself that it was being used to strengthen because without some added ingredient paper that thin would surely just rip.

If they use it to make the paper white, howcome blue rizlas are very white but they don't contain it?

And the traciing paper, that's how I would compare silver rizlas and I had assumed tracing paper probably using the same method of strengthening.

No offense, but there doesnt seem to be anyone on there presenting any evidence at all, its just a rumour. And as someone rightly points out, chlorine is a gas a room temp, a scary green one which does nasty things to you.

Your best option is to email Rizla, they must have a customer service email you can contact. But given all the fertilisers and pesticides that are probably on your grass and are definitely on your tobacco I wouldnt give it a massive amount of thought.
    budda wrote: »
    No offense, but there doesnt seem to be anyone on there presenting any evidence at all, its just a rumour. And as someone rightly points out, chlorine is a gas a room temp, a scary green one which does nasty things to you.

Your best option is to email Rizla, they must have a customer service email you can contact. But given all the fertilisers and pesticides that are probably on your grass and are definitely on your tobacco I wouldnt give it a massive amount of thought.

I know theres no evidence but thats the problem, there isn't any actual information on chlorine and why it's there or what the dangers are.
    I guess i will email rizla. Thanks for your help :)
    There is a bit of information indirectly about chlorine in papers from Roll Your Own magazine. Safest bet is to change your brand and used unbleached , if it is of concern.
    Okay well I like to use silver rizlas but as far as i'm aware these contain chlorine, as unlike blues they don't state they are chlorine free.

I've searched on the web but I can't find any explanation of the dangers of smoking rizla with chlorine in although lots of people mention it is dangerous..... Well can anyone help me out in what it actually does? I've just had a blue rizla spliff and I don't like it!

Your worried about a bit of chlorine in skins when you putting all that other shit in your lungs?
    Makoto wrote: »
    Your worried about a bit of chlorine in skins when you putting all that other shit in your lungs?

I knew someone would say that.
    Yes I'm worried about it because it's another extra thing that can be avoided if need be by switching rizlas. I'm not willing to stop smoking weed but if some aspect of it is doing more damage than it needs to then I can change that.
    If your smoking it with baccy then chlorine is the least of your worries, you got stuff like formaldehyde, arsenic, nickel, lead, cobalt and more cool chemicals in baccy. Arsenic is the best one though :thumb:.

Take a bong or smoke a pipe instead, itwill get you more mashed... or eat it :)
    Makoto wrote: »
    Take a bong or smoke a pipe instead, itwill get you more mashed... or eat it :)

There's nothing quite like a fatty reefer though :love:

The Chlorine is used to bleach the paper (in the form of a chloride, a liquid) but most companies no longer use it to do this as chlorine gas (when burned) has nasty effects on the lungs. As to how they strengthen the paper, I haven't got the foggiest but I'd guess they'd use a carbon compound of some sort as carbon can be extremely strong.
    Why do they need to strengthen the paper at all? The cellulose in the wood or the gluten (I think) in the rice helps hold quite fine paper together very nicely. They sometimes add glue to the fibres I think, but not generally to smoking papers because of the toxicity.
    how bizarre

i think its very trivial and as pointed out by several other people.. the least of your concerns!

kinda interesting tho!
    Try asking over on the EDIT forum, their all stoners and will probably know what you need answered - http://forum.everyonedoesit.co.uk/
    re:

I have recently been using Hemp Rips and will definately not be switching back to Rizla for the very reson that they feel and taste un-natural.... If you are worried about the chemicals in the papers you are using I would recommend trying these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-4-Rolls-of-HEMP-flavour-King-Size-RIPS_W0QQitemZ140080760075QQihZ004QQcategoryZ112484QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

(not my shop)
    If you've still not found anything you like you should have a look at these, I'm gonna buy some on my next purchase

Their transparent skins
    The cellulose used does not contain the chemical compounds found in the production of many white paper rolls, such as lead or arsenic. The product manufacturing process of these Aledinha – Mini Size Transparent Cigarette Papers is finished before that of white paper rolls, and thus does not use the chemical compounds that the white paper does. Their consistency also allows for a slower combustion than most other papers, and each paper when burned with tobacco or legal smoking herbs is completely tasteless

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Aledinha__Mini_Size_Transparent_Papers.cfm?iProductID=3857

Might also be interested in a book of Chlorine free roach card.

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Quintessential_smoking_tips.cfm?iProductID=147
    tried them transparent ones.. they're cool but i wouldnt use them on a regular basis.. bit mad to roll with the the skin itself can go a bit brown and yucky
    What are they like to touch, I feel they may be a bit to smooth and you might not be able to grip them like paper?
    aye they can be a bit weird to roll with.. takes a bit of gettin used to! you can lick em whenever too!
    Chlorine in Rizla

Hello,

I was searching around on the web for an answer to this question and ended up contacting Rizla directly. They don't use chlorine in the production of any of their papers and haven't done for many years. So happy smoking one and all, I guess it's down to your preference of paper from now on.
    Hi Otis
    Thanks for your reply but this thread is very old so it's probably best to start a new one if you want to discuss this topic more - I'm going to close it to stop any confusion.
    :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.