Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So today I was meant to go out with one of my friends?trouble is that he?s 18 and I?m 15. The age gap doesn?t bother us at all, and we?ve been good friends for almost 2 years now. Our age difference never bothered my mum either, but today she decided that she doesn?t want me hanging out with him based solely on his age. I spoke to her about it and I can see where she?s coming from on the matter. But I trust him above anyone else I?ve ever met and know nothing bad will happen to me when I?m with him. I want her to know that he?s not some shady old guy and he does really care about my well-being. I think she thinks that all boys his age are only after one thing, and I want her to see that it?s not the case with us. I?d like some advice on what to say to her to make her see reason, since it?s getting us both down.

Thanks

EDIT: Oh, i should probably mention we met online first.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Suggest that she meets him if she hasn't done already. When i first started going out with my boyfriend i was 15 and he was 20, i wouldn't tell my mum his age until she had met him because like yours she thinks that way too.

The more she meets him the more she'll gain his trust. If you go out together somewhere and he does something sweet to show he cares or pays for you, tell her so she knows that he is a decent guy.

It's all about proving to her that he will look after you and that he isn't after sex. Be mature about it tell her you know where she is coming from and that if worst comes to worst you have to learn from your mistakes, but of course that won't happen.

Either way have a chat with her and hopefully she'll come around :)
    Yeah, i think i might invite him over to my house sometime soon while she's home.
    Anyway thanks for your reply, you've been helpful.
    No problem :)

I don't know why all mothers seem to think it's the guys that are all after one thing. In some cases it's true, but they never think maybe it's their daughter that wants the sex :p
    hahahaha
    so very true :D
    Yeah id say just dont reveal the age just yet. and not for a while. make sure he has everyones aproval, then come out with it
    they know his age already. it was never an issue for her until today and i dont know why
    sarabi wrote: »
    they know his age already. it was never an issue for her until today and i dont know why

Why don't you ask her?
    yeah i will when i finally talk to her. it's 4.21 am here so i will when she wakes up before work i guess
    My girlfriend was 16 and i was 19 when we got together. I think you'd be surprised how much of a difference that year makes in peoples opinions.