Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Strange things dad's say..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When i was younger my dad used to say the wierdest things. I've only just thought about them tbh, but i wanted to see if all dads were like this?
Like when he'd pass wind (what we used to call a "wombar" I really don't know why!!), he'd wave his hand and say "ooh spiders".
I used to imagine that the spiders were running away from the smell. Is my dad wierd or has anyone elses' made such wierd comments? :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it wierd when he phones me, when he asks me how I've been... It's especially wierd when he pays some sort of attention to me or an interest in my life.

I know it's asking a lot, I mean it's not like parents have responsibilities is it. :yeees:
    My dad still says weird things, and does weird stuff. But hes funny with it so i let him off.
    My dad always did and still does lie down on the sofa, TV on sports lying on the remote and then falls asleep. I say to him give me the remote and he says Im only resting my eyes! and insists on keeping the remote. But I bet most dads are remote hoggers anyway, shitty sports channels!
    My dad basically says everything that is in Peter Kay's standup. I don't know if it's a northern dad thing. But I've been hearing most of that stuff for years.
    Yep if we see a police car my dad will grab me and say "I've got her, I've got her". Hence why I don't go out with him anymore. Im like fuck off dad! Say in the car hehe but IWS-could easily be a northern thing because Im northern too so...
    Lol or "she's over here!". Dad's eh? Think they're the first one to say it. Though i think with the whole spiders thing mine was! :shocking:
    I was helping my dad with shopping at ASDA and he sees this bloke with a girl, the blokes wearing an army jacket, skinny jeans, converse and has really spiked hair and he turns to me and says "thats an eastern european rock star look".
    ashlee wrote: »
    My dad always did and still does lie down on the sofa, TV on sports lying on the remote and then falls asleep. I say to him give me the remote and he says Im only resting my eyes! and insists on keeping the remote. But I bet most dads are remote hoggers anyway, shitty sports channels!

My dad is like that. He'll insist on watching a programme and il miss what i want but after 5 minutes he'll be snoring.

Then as soon as i turn over the channel he instandly wakes up and is like what are you doing i was watching that ... err you had your eyes closed and you was snoring, i don't think so.
    squeal wrote: »
    My dad is like that. He'll insist on watching a programme and il miss what i want but after 5 minutes he'll be snoring.

Then as soon as i turn over the channel he instandly wakes up and is like what are you doing i was watching that ... err you had your eyes closed and you was snoring, i don't think so.

exactly! Are you sure we aren't sisters :razz:
    I'm sure my dad does and says weird stuff... But I'm so used to it that it just washes over me so I can't actually think of any examples.

Most of my family have a weird habit of suddenly singing strange songs... Like 'I just dropped dead pig on the floor' and general made up ones for any occasion throughout the day.
    hmm.. i think my dads actually relatively normal!! he'll have the odd day when he'll say or do something odd, but thats not often really!

my mum on the other hand.. shes crazy :crazyeyes
    its particularly embarassing when im out with her - she spots some particularly "ugly" man and will say really loudly to me YOURS!!! generally when she does it she looks at him too so most of the time im sure they know what shes going on about :rolleyes:
    well, my dad used to sent me up regularly back in the days.
    Like there are those short holidays in austria called "pfingsten", and my dad came home, "boy oh boy! Matt, this year we both have pfingst-monday off!"

and I was like "heck yea! that's so cool."

until my mother told me that every year the pfingstmonday is off :S

Or when I was youger and there was that Michael Jackson "Billy Jean" song in the radio, and I turned it up (hey! he was cool back then) and my father announced, "Don't turn it too far up, it's already falling apart."
    "what? Your stereo is brand new?"
    "not the stereo, michael jackson that is."

and rubbish like that.
    Remember when tartan trousers were in fashion? (yes it was along time ago like 1994 era). My Dad asked me why I was going out in my pyjamas.
    I remember a parents evening at school and the headmaster asked my Dad 'How far have you come this evening?' and my dad replies in a nonchalant kind of way 'Oh just from the Carpark'

Needless to say the headmater moved swiftly on and avoided him ever since.
    this always struck me as weird, but whenever we had to go out to a store or something, me and my brother would go one way, and hed go the other (most the time). and in the event that we split up, hed make this really loud "PSSSST" sound, and he coul be heard from across the store. then wed make it back and thats how we found eachother. hahah we still do it too.
    my dad used to say "kill the white man"
    ashlee wrote: »

:yes: My Dad is awful for that.

He never lets me have the remote.

My sister is just as bad too with the music channels flick flick flick bet she hasn't seen adverts on the telly for months and months, It's like she will die if she see's them! But I can put up with seeing the music because we have similar tastes its when he fucking lies there with the footy or cricket or something equally as shitty on as well as falls asleep and doesn't let me turn over.

:grump:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Remember when tartan trousers were in fashion? (yes it was along time ago like 1994 era). My Dad asked me why I was going out in my pyjamas.

I so remember that trend! I had black and white ones and my Dad called me Rupert :blush:

Did you have a lumberjack shirt too PK?

Urgh me too. Very annoying

He also says "cow fodder" when talking about pumpkin, and "chooks" for chicken, all the time.

And whenever he moves to go loo or whatever, and comes back, he ALWAYS says "ooh its cool when you move"

SOOOO annoying
    My Dad's just starting to learn to use the computer, and the other day he managed to get on the Auto Trader website without any help. Since then, he's been telling us all how he's going to be a web designer, haha.

He says loads of stupid stuff, but he's hilarious so I can't grumble.
    My dad has a habit of stating the obvious.
    He always want to have a look at my phone. No chance, not with the photos/texts I have on there.
    My Dad is just odd in general. It doesn't have to be anything he says, though he does say some weird things.

Like yesterday, I asked mum to order us a chicken curry (she was going to the Chinese) and he stood at the top of the stairs ranting to me about bird flu. When I (correctly) pointed out, I wasn't a bird, he announced "Yes you are, how do I know? I WATCH YOU FLY". I mean :eek:??

His classic line is though, on his days off, he'll get up and announce "I'm not doing [insert something he's supposed to do for my mum here], I'm going into town to buy [something normally very random]." My father hasn't been into our town centre, other than to give me a lift for about 6 or 7 years. He sits and does bloody Sudoku puzzles instead.
    my dad isnt strange, just cringeworthy
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    melanie wrote: »
    my dad isnt strange, just cringeworthy
    Hey, not seen you in some time!
    Nikki* wrote: »
    My Dad is just odd in general. It doesn't have to be anything he says, though he does say some weird things.

Ditto. For some reason, he has the lovely habit of embarrassing me; but never does it to my brother or sister.:confused: *makes mental note to not LOL whilst sat at PC talking on MSN*
    My dad is hilarous. Hes always saying weird stuff. He told me a story the other day, he was unloading the dishwasher, grabbed some big knives and went to my sister, hey, want to watch me jugle knives? Then one slipped out of his hand and went flying across the kitchen. He always has a good story to share.
    once, my dad locked the keys in the house, while it was raining. so, in all the excitement, he just shouts "RAT FUCK"

it was hilarious at the time
    Heyoka wrote: »
    once, my dad locked the keys in the house, while it was raining. so, in all the excitement, he just shouts "RAT FUCK"

it was hilarious at the time

:lol: Random. I like that one.