Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spanish blackmail UEFA into blocking Gibraltar membership

Story.

An absolute disgrace, but typical of the Spanish government's hypocritical stance on the whole issue.

What a shame that the people of Gibraltar can't get the right that they democratically want.

And what a shame that the pathetic UEFA delegates let them get away with it- Spain, and Spanish clubs, should be kicked out of UEFA IMHO.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »

Thoughts?

Not really, couldn't give a shit...Aladin on the other hand. :chin: :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Story.

An absolute disgrace, but typical of the Spanish government's hypocritical stance on the whole issue.

What a shame that the people of Gibraltar can't get the right that they democratically want.

And what a shame that the pathetic UEFA delegates let them get away with it- Spain, and Spanish clubs, should be kicked out of UEFA IMHO.

Thoughts?
    Spanish government? I was under the impression that it was the Spanish FA (along with 51 others) that would've been voting here, not the Spanish parliament? The way I see it, if teams like the Faroe Islands, San Marino and that other one beginning in A exist, I don't see why Gibraltar shouldn't be allowed. But then I don't really know how this sort of thing normally works.
  • Options
    And the Spanish wonder why the prospect of joint (or Spanish) sovereignty over Gibraltar disgusts and angers almost every single Gibraltarian.
  • Options
    I love the copycat thread title Kermit... Something bothering you? :D

With regard to the actual subject at hand, well I don't know the rules in full but I would imagine you'd have to be a nation to qualify for your own association?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    With regard to the actual subject at hand, well I don't know the rules in full but I would imagine you'd have to be a nation to qualify for your own association?
    Nah, Wales has a football team. :p
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    NI has it's own team, how is that different than Gib having it's own team.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    sophia wrote: »
    Wales is a nation, it just isn't a nation-state.

Surely Gib should be as well - its got more control over its own affairs than Wales does

That said p'haps they should drop football and start a cricket team - they might stand a chance against England.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    NI has it's own team, how is that different than Gib having it's own team.

Exactly, as do Wales and Scotland.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Exactly, as do Wales and Scotland.

and England
  • Options
    Isn't Wales a Principality?
  • Options
    Isn't Wales a Principality?

Yes, but it' still a country, its just a Principality compared to the Kingdom's of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

If I remember a 'country' is a geographical place eg Scotland. A 'nation' is the people eg the Scottish. And the 'state' is the government (in its widest sense including things like education, local council). Most countries are 'nation states' (eg they are one people under one Government system - comprising the landmass of one country).

The UK throws out all the rules by consisting of one state - but with three countries (Scotland, England and Wales) and part of a fouth (Ireland).

There's a couple of other exceptions (eg Korea - two states, one country)