Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Parecetemol Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have had really bad toothache for the last few days and in the last 4 days or so i have been taking 2 doses of 2 parecetemol a day.

Will this be doing me any harm?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt it, your not taking high enough doses for it to do any harm. I wouldn't recommend using paracetamol on a prolonged basis say of over a week, but you should be ok.
    Have been taking 500mg
    Thanks, hope i will be ok
    Take up to what it says on the packet and it will all be fine!
    You might find ibuprofen (Nurofen) works better. It has anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce any swelling.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    You might find ibuprofen (Nurofen) works better. It has anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce any swelling.

:yes:

It can be taken with paracetamol if needed, but you can only take one 3 times a day.
    None of that will stop the cause of the toothache though (which is the real problem here), I presume that you are heading off to the Dentist too...?
    satehen wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend using paracetamol on a prolonged basis say of over a week, but you should be ok.

Why? You can take 1000mg of paracetamol upto four times a day for as long as you need it. Obviously it isn't recommended if you don't know what the cause of the pain is but for diagnosed problems there is nothing wrong with taking it for as long as necessary.
    I saw a woman who was addicted to painkillers on jeremy kyle the other day. Urm OK that has nothing to do with the thread!
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Exactly what I was gunna say.
    ashlee wrote: »
    I saw a woman who was addicted to painkillers on jeremy kyle the other day. Urm OK that has nothing to do with the thread!

I used to take a lot of painkillers, so my doc had to change which ones I was taking because he didn't want me to get addicted.

Netty... Had you been to a dentist about your toothache by the way? Cos if it's something they can treat then you won't need to be taking painkillers...
    But I guess it might be a molar or something? In which case maybe there's something else which could help, like a gel or something rather than taking oral meds.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Why? You can take 1000mg of paracetamol upto four times a day for as long as you need it. Obviously it isn't recommended if you don't know what the cause of the pain is but for diagnosed problems there is nothing wrong with taking it for as long as necessary.
    Exactly. I take 1000mg of paracetamol a day, permanently. Along with codiene and ibuprofen. As long as you don't go over the recommended doses, long term, it's fine.
    You shouldn't take painkillers long term if the problem is fixable, like a bad tooth.

It's all good if there's no alternative, and the benefits of taking them outweighs the risks of taking them, but all drugs have side effects, even the seemingly harmless everyday ones like paracetamol and ibuprofen. I ended up with a stomach ulcer and gastritis after taking less than the recommended daily dose of ibuprofen every day for about 2 months.

Taking paracetamol for a week for a bad tooth is all well and good, but a much better idea would just be to get the tooth fixed so you don't have to.
    But were you taking it with meals?

That's the big one with ibuprofen.
    But were you taking it with meals?

That's the big one with ibuprofen.

Aye, without fail! I can't swallow tablets other than with a mouth full of food.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Aye, without fail! I can't swallow tablets other than with a mouth full of food.

Finally, I've found someone who is as freaky as I am! I can't swallow tablets without food either. :hyper:
    kaffrin wrote: »

I used to be the same - either that or it had to be crushed and given to me with a spoonful of milk.:yuck:
    Well i went to the dentist yesterday and got the dodgy tooth yanked out, it was awful and i ended up fainting :no:

He has given me antibitotics because another one of my teeth is infected to and he is going to have to take that one out aswell :crying: