Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shall we change the world today?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I think it's entirely possible to change the world for the better, starting today :)

First we must decide on an aim, whether it be world peace, freedom from persecution and prejudice for everyone, happiness and love for every child - etc.

Then, as a collective group we probably have more power than we give ourselves credit. We can influence others to join the 'make the world better' movement, we can contribute spare time and money, it doesn't seem so impossible anymore does it? :)

Perhaps this newfound mood is the SAD wearing off :chin: or perhaps we should all be a little more charitable in our lives. Maybe if everyone from thesite boards did one extra good deed today it would make a difference.

Comments

• Options
    Bloody do-gooder you!! I liked you more when you were miserable. Much more on my wavelength then. ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think we're all doing what you're thinking of, already.
    Unless we're ones not to speak when someone says something we disagree with and (s)he or others assume we agree.
  • Options
    Have a gander at this - http://wearewhatwedo.org/index.php
  • Options
    Peace and equality are impossible.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Peace and equality are impossible.
    Theoretically possible, in practice far from possible imo.
  • Options
    The world would be a safer place if everyone gave just a little less of a shit about things.
  • Options
    I think we're all doing what you're thinking of, already.
    Unless we're ones not to speak when someone says something we disagree with and (s)he or others assume we agree.
    eh?
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    eh?
    He said to change the world by influencing people around.
    But if we went around and declared our opinion on stuff just because we want to declare them, we'd be dickheads and no one would pay attention.
    The way to do that is to say what our opinion is when somebody asks us, or when it's an opinion on the topic that we're already discussing. In that way, we're influencing others.
    However, some people don't even speak when they're asked their opinion, and when someone else expresses a different one they don't say anything, and this makes them look like they're agreeing, even when they're not. These people aren't influencing others.

I've written the same thing I wrote in my previous post, with many more words. I hope you understood it this time.
  • Options
    I like the car thats coming out that will stop people from driving drunk but refusing to turn on if the user if drunk. Needs to become a standard, unfortunate for me and many other people its laready too late but if that pulls through and becomes a standard by law I can only imagine how many lives will be saved by it.

If you really want to change the world though, try running for government office or get your ideas known. Majority wins if your idea is big enough to be supported by the mainstream. Always write to your government if you feel somethings in awry, and in the US I mean your state senators. Believe it or not they probally do scim through issues and if enough people write or e-mail their letters on a specific issue the more likely they are to support it.
  • Options
    Ideals are impossible. Just like communism.
  • Options
    Indrid - Thanks for clearing that up. I was very confused and didn't really follow initially. I see your point but surely there are other ways to influence people rather than just speaking out.
  • Options
    Nice idea, but i just dont care enough to put the effort in
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote: »
    The world would be a safer place if everyone gave just a little less of a shit about things.

Sorry, If people cared less about things?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well, I think it's entirely possible to change the world for the better, starting today :)

First we must decide on an aim, whether it be world peace, freedom from persecution and prejudice for everyone, happiness and love for every child - etc.

Then, as a collective group we probably have more power than we give ourselves credit. We can influence others to join the 'make the world better' movement, we can contribute spare time and money, it doesn't seem so impossible anymore does it? :)

Perhaps this newfound mood is the SAD wearing off :chin: or perhaps we should all be a little more charitable in our lives. Maybe if everyone from thesite boards did one extra good deed today it would make a difference.

Wise up ya big tree hugging hippy.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Sorry, If people cared less about things?

Chilled out like.
  • Options
    Why don't We just take it over instead??

Newsreader: Today a 100 strong gang of internet geeks aged between 15 and 38 atempted to overthrow the Govenment with a view to taking over the world, They were apprehended.... easily.

Their spokesmen a Mr. Jim v tried to explain His actions using a series of dots, brackets, and "smileys".

He was sectioned under the mental health act....
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Chilled out like.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Indrid - Thanks for clearing that up. I was very confused and didn't really follow initially. I see your point but surely there are other ways to influence people rather than just speaking out.
    Definitely -but my point was, that even if we're just saying what we think, we do influence others. :)
  • Options
    its hard to change people nowadyas though isnt it?

they rarely listen anymore
  • Options
    We should set up some kind of tally in the health section, everytime a site member donates a pint of blood, email helen or jim, and it adds up.

ie; 230 pints donated by thesite.org

or 340 of us are organ donors or something
  • Options

:)

I'm already trying to 'change the world', I have been for a while. There's a lot I'd like to see happen (personally), although whilst you're fighting one cause there are always others to be fought for. Which cause is most important? Women's rights in Jamaica? Gay rights in Iran? The Brazillian rainforests? Poverty in Russia? Animal rights? Disability rights? The abuse of children?

I think that people look too much at the supposed bigger picture, you know? Like "we'll never be able to help people in the global south"... I mean are we thinking collectively, or in affecting the lives of individuals?

If you donate to Amnesty you're making a difference, if you volunteer with children you're making a difference, if you participate in a march you're making a difference, if you buy fairtrade you're making a difference, if you give somebody you day travel card you're making a difference... We don't always see the progress we make...

But that donation to Amnesty will go towards paying a lawyer to get a person out of prison. He returns home to his family who missed him dearly and this makes them feel amazing. People's lives have been touched.

You could volunteer with children, some of who may be welcomed home by the smell of whiskey and a fist to the jaw. But when that kid is around you she feels safe, you are proof to her that good people do exist.

By going on a march you build a solidarity for a cause and the more people who attend, the more encouragement it is for people fighting a cause. Sure the government may not listen, but you are showing them and other people you are unhappy enough at something to give a few hours to share your voice.

By buying Fairtrade you are giving some money to people in the global south who are trying to make something of them. Again, the more people who buy, the better the profit. Because of that support you increase the chance of a better future for their kids.

The last example I use is personal... I wasn't having the best of days, but a lady leaving Surbiton station stopped to give me her travelcard. The fact that she thought to give me her travel card and stopped me to talk to me really touched me and kept me smiling for the rest of the day. An act of kindness is something which can affect your minute, hour or even the rest of your life... I think it is something which is underrated and yeah, some people won't appreciate it.

I don't see myself as an exceptional person, I haven't done anymore good for the world than the next lass or lad... But I am certainly not so pessimistic as tosay we can't change the world because we do, every day.
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]
    By buying Fairtrade you are giving some money to people in the global south who are trying to make something of them. Again, the more people who buy, the better the profit. Because of that support you increase the chance of a better future for their kids[/QUOTE]

Tbh, buying fairtrade goods do fuck all for farmers in Africa/wherever. The extra money they get is miniscule and nowhere what they should. I think's it very bad that a lot of companies pride themselves on selling "fairtrade" goods as if they give a fuck when in reality they don't.

I give money to charity boxes and do the odd bit of volunteering here and there. Other than that, I'm pretty apathetic which is sad really.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Tbh, buying fairtrade goods do fuck all for farmers in Africa/wherever. The extra money they get is miniscule and nowhere what they should. I think's it very bad that a lot of companies pride themselves on selling "fairtrade" goods as if they give a fuck when in reality they don't.

I give money to charity boxes and do the odd bit of volunteering here and there. Other than that, I'm pretty apathetic which is sad really.

Got a link on the Fairtrade?

I'm pretty optomistic about Fairtrade and even if the amount of money they get is small (and let's face it, it is a business) compared to what we'd earn.

I mean what would you rather buy, something ehich is sustainably produced where the farmers are given a better wage or something like Nestle, who have been known to buy cocoa from plantations which use chid slaves?
  • Options
    Small fact about Fairtrade bananas, you can buy any Caribbean bananas and they are effectively fair trade because they can not get workers there for less than a living wage. However, because they are technically not 'fairtrade' they are cheaper.
  • Options
    i would like to walk down oxford street giving people hugs without being arrested
  • Options
    i would like to walk down oxford street giving people hugs without being arrested

Well you might upset someone if you hugged them without their permission.

What about a free hugs sign though? :)
  • Options
    What about a free hugs sign though? :)
    Didnt Dave England already do that? :hyper:
  • Options
    its hard to hug someone whilst wearing a sandwich board
  • Options
    its hard to hug someone whilst wearing a sandwich board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

:) Best of luck
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    BIBA LA REVOLUTIONO!

REVOLT, MY PEOPLE!

Let us change the world. Let us take back power from the zionist capitalists running this world. The world is ours, it belongs to the people. Let us take what is ours back, and run it for us!

Onwards, to victory!