Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Digital Camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, wonder if i could pick your brains here :wave:

i'm looking for a new digital camera, i have 3 requirements in my new camera-

-that it's compact, slimline style, i want it to be small enough to fit in my handbag no problem (even a small handbag ;) )
-that it has 6-7 millon mega pixels (i have a 5 at the moment so want more than the camera i have)
-that it has a lithium battery specifically for the camera with it.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, i'm having a real nightmare because theres so many different makes and specs!

Comments

• Options
    how much you have to spend is also an important point to consider. :)
  • Options
    I can't say enough positive things about the Pentax Optio range; my s5z is a very good compact camera with a very impressive battery life. So good i've recently recomended the upgraded version the S7 to my dad, although I was tempted to push him towards the touch screen T10.

Pentax Optio S7...
    http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/products/index.php?cameras&gruppe=digital%20compact&produkt=18872&id=uebersicht
  • Options
    sorry, meant to say i'm looking at prices under around £150.

thanks for the recommendation mich, i'm definitely gonna look into that one!

if anyone else has any others i'd appreciate opinions :)
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks addict, that is a nice one too.

i'm maybe looking into the camera thing too much, every time i see a bad review it puts me off! having said that, in the expert reviews i dont understand most of the spec info! i just want one that takes a decent photo, i was reading lots of reviews about 'noise' and i was soooo confused, until my dad explained it to me!
  • Options
    i found this one

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=1131756&source=996&engine=froogle&keyword=Casio+Exilim+EX-Z70+Digital+Camera+(Silver)

if anyone has a second i'd appreciate a second opinion from someone who knows better than lil ole me :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Canon's are normally the best!
  • Options
    unless you plan on printing them out really big, you don't really need over 6mp.
  • Options
    That camera looks like a really good deal. It's on amazon.co.uk quite cheap as well - £122 for the black one. I'd say go for it, you probably don't need that many megapixels (unless you want to print up to A2 size :p) but the rest of the features are handy! And it's always better to have more megapixels because then you can crop images and get good photos :)
  • Options
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=casio_exz70

It seems to be rated ok by owners.

You can pretty much ignore the number of megapixels these days. For compact cameras it is used as a marketing gimmick, because people are conditioned to think that bigger number = better camera, which is hardly ever simply the case. Digital cameras have been able to produce prints at "normal" size (say 6x4 or 7x5) for a number of years now that, to most people, would be indistinguishable from a film camera. So just find one you like and go with it.
  • Options
    I have a digital camera that has 4 megapixels and my friend has the same camera but the next model up which has 6 megapixels, she always wants to use mine cause we found that my camera produces better pictures.

I don't beleive in having loads of megapixels because the picture quality from my camera is supurb.
  • Options
    ok, i've taken on board what you guys have said about megapixels not being all that and about canon's being the best and i think i have decided, i hope :)

i think i'm going to get the canon powershot sd600, it seems to get a really good write up and have everything i am looking for, any last advice from you guys?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd600.html

ps i really appreciate you taking the time to help :blush:

ETA: I just realised the powershot sd600 is the same one addict put on the link for, but with a different name! *confused*
  • Options
    I can't be too much help, as I don't understand much about cameras, but me and my dad both have Canon digital cameras, and the image quality is always good, and they're both reliable. I'd recommend Canon anyday :)
  • Options
    Canon PowerShot SD600 is also known as the Digital IXUS 60, it probably has a different name for European and US or Japanese markets.

Reading through a few reviews, it seems that most users like this camera. It seems a little lacking in manual control if that is really important to you.

Some people in their user reviews have said that this camera produces "very noisy" pictures, but many others said it produced excellent shots, so my guess is that the people complaining about noise are shooting in low-light either without the flash or a subject that's too far away for the flash, and so the camera is bumping up ISO to compensate, which will give you some noise. Certainly on Steve's site the images aren't noisy.

I'd probably go for it, though I'd try to find one in a shop to hold it, just to make sure that it wasn't too small, and that your fingers don't cover up the flash when you shoot.

There is an SD700 IS and an SD800 IS that were later models and much the same, but with image stabilization.
  • Options
    thanks guys, i had a look at the sd700 and i didnt think it was worth the extra money for a camera pretty much the same. i'm gonna go and have a look at it in a shop today to make sure i like it but i'll order it online cos according to currys website its about £50 more expensive there!

Every camera i've looked at has had at least some bad bits in reviews so i guess you can't please everyone. I think i need to get a camera before my mind explodes from looking! lol.

thanks for your help :)