Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weddings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i just got engaged , i havnt got a clue where, what , when and how much!!!

where do you begin!!!
  • Options
    oh i just found a website about having a your wedding in an ice chapel! which sounds different,
    castle would be nice but i havnt got a large amount of guests. :-(
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I got married in Dubai and had a "traditional" Arabic wedding. We had it in the Grand Hyatt in Dubai (for an idea what an Arabic wedding is like Summary of my wedding)

That is absoutly amazing! So beautiful and extravagent. I loved the gold place where you sat and the four colorful girls dancing, and that cake! Lucky you!!
  • Options
    Amira, that is definitely an amazing wedding! Very colourful :)
  • Options
    i just got engaged , i havnt got a clue where, what , when and how much!!!

where do you begin!!!

There are lots of websites available to look at, just use google!

I'll be getting married next year, hence the thread, so I've been doing quite a lot of research recently. As my boyfriend and I will be paying for it all ourselves we have set ourselves a budget and we will be sticking to it. I don't want a traditional dress and the ones I'm looking at are more 'prom dresses' and cost less than £100. I'd rather eat well than spend £1000 on a dress I'll wear once.

Personally I'm going to choose a venue for the wedding and reception and then take it from there. Since I'll not be setting a date until later in the year I've started a scrapbook for business cards, samples, venue information etc.
  • Options
    the day of...

Have your wits about you on the big day.

I didn't eat all day...and it all hit me just before the ceremony kicked in.
    I got all dizzy and vaguely remember my brother force feeding me grapes minutes before I hadda walk down the aisle.
    And have your game face on...I was so jittery even the simplest of tasks was beyond me. Not cold feet jittery, just jittery.
    And I couldn't sit still! As a result when I was getting my hair curled I sustained a cluster fuck of burns on my neck from the curling iron.
    I have those scars to this day.

I also can't remember much of the ceremony.
    I was so nervous.
    I couldn't walk in a straight line down to the altar to save my life.
    I just clung to my brother with everything I had as we walked.
    LOL...and then I forgot to let go when he was passing me off
    to my husband to be.
    He had to pry my fingers loose from his arm.

Then my fiancee and I both stood there looking completely bewildered.
    So much so that when the time came to turn to one another to recite our vows, my man started sayin em to the pastor.
    The pastor smiled and said "Um...don't you think you should be sayin that to her" and took my fiancee by the shoulders and turned him towards me. Everyone laughed hysterically.
    I think after that everyone was a little less wound up.

The best part was..."you may kiss your bride"
    Even though we'd practiced the night before...an appropriate "church tongue" kiss...it all went out the window with the sheer relief and joy of the moment. We mauled eachother.

Don't worry :)
    After the ceremony...it'll all be good.
    The reception will be a cake walk by comparison.
    Just don't hit the sauce too hard.

All the best babe :)
  • Options
    I am getting married at the end of February - eeeekkkk!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    You'll be ok, I was scared...but i wasn't nervous until i had to walk in. I went into a fit of telling my best mate i needed to pee.

But you'll have fond memories :)
  • Options
    Getting married is wonderful. The nerves make it more exciting.

Ellie cried during the vows:)
  • Options
    I know I am quite likely going to cry but I don't want to... I don't want to say my vows through tears, sniffs, snots and snorts!

Any tips on not crying? I have told my fiance that he needs to make me laugh, hopefully that will do the trick!
  • Options
    I don't rembember being that nervos at all - though i think my nerves were calmed by the fact that a) when I got to the venue my mother wasnt' waiting to give me a lecture before going down the isle and b) I had one friend who's entire job was to keep me calm all day - I even got him insured on my car so that i didn't have to worry about traffic etc
  • Options
    I would love to get married in australia but my parents are really old i dont think they could stand the traveling or afford it. anyone know of any good beachs in uk to get married and i guess the summer is the most expensive time.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Where did you get married?
    We got married in a hotel back home in the Highlands. I wanted a religious ceremony but he wasn't religious at all, so our compromise was a religious ceremony on neutral ground. We had an organist there and it was a very simple ceremony.

What kind of 'reception' and 'evening party' did you have? (if any!) How many guests did you invite to each?
    We had a really nice meal in the hotel. We had a private room to ourselves. Our wedding was teeny as there were only 9 guests - only our close family. It was a very intimate affair. Afterwards, we went to the bar next door but linked with the hotel as there was live entertainment.

How much did it cost, overall?
    Overall, it was just over £1000. That includes all the food, hiring the room for the actual wedding, my dress (not David's outfit as his gran bought his suit for him), hairdresser, photographer and all the flowers. My aunt made our cake. As it was at home I got married, it was a friend who did the photographs and we just paid for the developing.

What was the best bit of the day?
    Best bit was the actual ceremony. It was just so simple and beautiful.

And the worst?
    The waiting. We got married at 4pm. I was up at 8am as I couldn't sleep anymore. It was a long day.

Our wedding was a really beautiful, elegant affair. The hotel that we got married in bent over backwards to help us and their food was just amazing. They cleared areas and were extremely accommodating to everything that we wanted. It wouldn't have been half as wonderful if it was in our second choice venue, methinks. My main piece of advice is to make sure you are 110% happy with the venue as, in my opinion, it can make or break it.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I know I am quite likely going to cry but I don't want to... I don't want to say my vows through tears, sniffs, snots and snorts!

It's a very emotional thing to do, I don't think that there is a way of not crying. Hell, even I cried!
  • Options
    thanks that helps s lot.
    a small wedding isnt too bad is it.
  • Options
    I'm getting married at the parish church of my wife to be at the time. So I don't know yet!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    thanks that helps s lot.

I had a very small wedding (9 guests) and it was amazing. I much prefered to have it that way rather than with 200 guests. I shared my day with the people I loved the most. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • Options

It depends on what you want- the wedding should be about what you want, not about what your Aunt Mabel and Uncle Frank want.

We had a medium-sized wedding (there were about 65 people there for the Church and breakfast) and a big reception, over 200. I loved it, we had a ceilidh and more really is merrier. We wanted our families there, and our friends there, and we've both got big families and a wide circle of friends. I would have hated a wedding with ten people, because there would have been people missing who I would have wanted there.

Others love the small wedding, a simple ceremony and a slap-up meal at the best restaurant in town. If you want that then a small wedding will be fantastic for you.
  • Options
    Ok, sorry to bring this up again, but:

How long did it take you to plan your wedding?

Ideally I would like to set a date and get a venue etc booked well in advance so that I know I don't have it to contend with.

Is this ok? Are venues likely to take bookings 18 months in advance?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »

Ideally I would like to set a date and get a venue etc booked well in advance so that I know I don't have it to contend with.

Like I said in the other thread, we have been planning our wedding since May '05 - well I say planning, thats when we got engaged and once the venue and date were sorted everything else got done in its own time.

I would say 18 months is absolutely fine for booking a venue and date, in fact if you are planning on either a summer wedding or your venue is a popular one then I would suggest getting onto it asap - some people book years in advance for certain dates/places!
  • Options
    We planned my wedding in 6months, although some places require you to book up to 12months in advance. Although i know people who have organised weddings in a month and even in 2weeks!

So maybe look at venues and decide where you want to have the wedding, then based on how much in advance you need to book the place choose a date.

As long as you have other people (family or friends) helping you plan the wedding, it shouldnt be too stressful. Oh and I found having a checklist of what needs to be done really helps, dont depend on your memory...becausr that way, you WILL forget something

Good Luck
  • Options

Yes my sister in law looked at venues last may and the first date at her favourite one was this september so thats 18 months - and she ended up with no choice on the date - so I would get on the case ASAP.

I set the date the day after I got engaged (for two years hence) and had booked the venue after about 3 months - therefore I think around 2 years in advance. However I didn't think about anything else for about a year and did most of the planning in the last 6 months.

Most wedding dress shops like you to buy the dress around 6 months in advance so they have time to to make it (ditto bridesmaids dresses).

Also somethig that I really didnt' think about is that florists can only do one wedding at a time and they get booked up as well. Luckaly i had a winter wedding and my first choice florist was avaliable!
  • Options
    For a popular venue you need to be booking the date about two years in advance, if you intend to marry any time between May and September. You won't get the date you want otherwise. Good photographers get booked up a year in advance for the best dates too (e.g. any Friday or Saturday in June, July or August).

That said, we planned our wedding in about a year, and we just about blundered through. We were lucky we had a venue which was trying to establish itself, we had a Church in a quiet parish with a more impressive and imposing church down the road, but we got married in April and we wouldn't have been able to get away with it with a spring or summer date.
  • Options
    I would love to get married in australia but my parents are really old i dont think they could stand the traveling or afford it. anyone know of any good beachs in uk to get married and i guess the summer is the most expensive time.

At the moment you cant' get married actually on the beach in the UK - which is really crap but they are planning on changeing the law. But it is possible to get a venue overlooking the beach or something. Though being the UK you can't always guarentee the weather.

I have always rather fancied here

But this is also quite a good place to start searching
  • Options
    The dress is pretty much sorted. :D

The date has been set too - 6th Dec 2008.

I have a very good feeling about where I would like to get married, but I would have to make an appointment to view it again before making a final decision (plus I think my boyfriend has his heart set on getting hitched in a castle and might just agree to increasing the budget, hehe)

I want to have the date and place out of the way so that I don't have to think about it for another year or so!
  • Options
    The dress is pretty much sorted. :D

The date has been set too - 6th Dec 2008.

I have a very good feeling about where I would like to get married, but I would have to make an appointment to view it again before making a final decision (plus I think my boyfriend has his heart set on getting hitched in a castle and might just agree to increasing the budget, hehe)

I want to have the date and place out of the way so that I don't have to think about it for another year or so!

Eeeh! I don't have any practical input as I think when we get hitched it will be as low-key and unplanned as it gets. But I just wanted to say congratulations, how exciting :D
  • Options
    Ooer, all this wedding talk....

A couple of months or so back, my boyfriend told me for the first time categorically (rather than in hypothetical questions) that he'd like us to get engaged, and said on Christmas Eve that 'sooner or later' he was going to propose :) I don't think the engagement is likely to happen before we move out from his Mum's (it would be great to have a flat sorted before we need to start thinking about wedding arrangements) - which will hopefully be in about a year's time, if not before - but I think in a weird way, just talking about it properly has moved us up a level. We were talking about mortgages the other day (we're probably going to go for an interest only one until I finish my PhD and get a 'proper job') and Dunc said that maybe instead of just swapping mortgages, it will make sense to get a get a bigger flat then, if we can afford it, as I'll be about 28 by then and it won't be too long after that that we'll be thinking about starting a family :eek: