Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wireless network??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, iv just brought a laptop off ebay that is not wifi. Iv not received the laptop yet but in the description it says it has a PCMCIA card slot to enable wireless networking, what card is best for this and do i need a specific one for specific model of laptop?

Also another question-if i get my laptop wireless i want to have wifi in my house as apposed to normal broadband. What do i need for this? i know i need a router but will i also need a card to make my pc wireless or does the router connect to the pc. Im not bothered bout the pc being wire free as it is right next to the phone line but im guessing that if i have wireless broadband it will need to be and therefore require a wireless card??

Sorry about the long post but im pretty clueless on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    You'll need a router for wireless, although check with your ISP, some will replace your modem with a wireless modem at no extra charge.

As for a PCMCIA card, you cant go really go wrong. No specific one, but best makes are belkin, linksys, etc. (basically names you've heard of before) - others will work but may be tempremental. Make sure to get wireless 'g' or 54g, well you can't really get a or b anymore but always double check :).

A wireless router will usually have ethernet ports to plug it into things like your pc as well so you wont need an extra wireless card :)
  • Options
    Really? it sounds quite simple when you explain it. I was quite worried it would cost me a fortune buying equipment but that doesnt seem to be the case, especially if i don't need extra wireless card for my pc (don't even think my pc has a wireless card slot).
  • Options
    You can a wireless 'card' that you can plug in via USB :).

What I might recommend if you have just the two computers (because routers can cost £50+ :() is get your PCMCIA wireless G card, then get a USB wireless G dongle thing for your PC, plug the internet in as you do now, then set up your main computer to 'route' the internet to your laptop.

This may be cheaper, but the problem is the main computer will have to be turned on in order to use the internet on the laptop. Check with your ISP though, I know AOL give people free wireless routers, and my brother got a wireless modem from BT as well :)
  • Options
    Thanks, i'm with orange broadband at the moment and they give you a free router if you change to wireless but hopefully changing to sky broadband soon and they also give you a free router so either way that isn't a problem. :)

Can't wait to get it up and running so i don't have to have wires trailing along the floor.
  • Options
    OMG, Sky Broadband are sposed to be the worst ISP in the world, they really fuck you about... let me know how you get on.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    OMG, Sky Broadband are sposed to be the worst ISP in the world, they really fuck you about... let me know how you get on.

haha :D
  • Options

Nice words of encrouragement there :razz:
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    Saw a poster for sky broadband today and i remembered this thread instantly.
  • Options
    Not completely decided yet anyway but all i use the net for is surfing and checking emails so figured it would be ok for that.