Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

We Should All Act, apparently...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was intrigued by an event that was added to a community I am in (facebook.com). The event was entitled Lights Out. A group of students are trying to get as many as possible to turn everything off for 5mins at a set date/time, "not just to save electricity, but to raise awareness that ALL of us should be responsive to the effects of climate change".

I am sorry, but what a complete load of tosh. Yes we all have to act, that would help, but look how our economy is growing. If you consider that and our usage of energy, then look at China, think about their usage of energy, which will make our usage look very,very minor in comparison.

Then think about politicians, who won't do anything until they have to act as well as sitting in the benefits from consumption. Bush even has ties with the oil industry.

I just have to say, lets be real.

Comments

• Options
    Bush has ties to the oil industry because his dad is one of the directors of an oil company.
    He also used to run an oil company, which he run into the ground. Then someone decided he'd make a good leader. I'd like to meet the person that did that so I could knock some sense into them.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    I was intrigued by an event that was added to a community I am in (facebook.com). The event was entitled Lights Out. A group of students are trying to get as many as possible to turn everything off for 5mins at a set date/time, "not just to save electricity, but to raise awareness that ALL of us should be responsive to the effects of climate change".

I am sorry, but what a complete load of tosh. Yes we all have to act, that would help, but look how our economy is growing. If you consider that and our usage of energy, then look at China, think about their usage of energy, which will make our usage look very,very minor in comparison.

Then think about politicians, who won't do anything until they have to act as well as sitting in the benefits from consumption. Bush even has ties with the oil industry.

I just have to say, lets be real.

erm person, we outdo china easily, china outdoes us overall from sheer size

also, ever thought of leading by example
  • Options
    erm person, we outdo china easily, china outdoes us overall from sheer size

also, ever thought of leading by example

We do lose a shitload of energy...

What's wrong with turning everything off for a few minutes?
  • Options
    We do lose a shitload of energy...

Whats the point?
  • Options
    I agree. So I turned everything off and sat here in complete silence. I tried to read a book but there was no light and I couldn't find any candles. I decided to cook something but, damnit, the microwave was off. Taking a piss was a nightmare in the dark and I couldn't play with Miss Palm and her five daughters because there was no way of accessing movies.

But I felt proud of myself and after five minutes, I turned on my computer to chat to friends, the TV to watch a movie, all the lights because I'm afraid of the dark, the fire because I'm cold, every kitchen appliance because I'm hungry, my alarm clock otherwise I won't wake up, my hair straighteners to do my hair, my phone charger to charge my phone and the radio to listen to some tunes.

I like to think I do my bit :)
  • Options
    Rolly suggested such a thing a wee while back.

China is just an emerging economy, America and Europe waste far more than it does. Society will have to wake up some day to the problems it's causing and guess what? It's our generation...oh shit. :nervous: :D
  • Options
    pah1986 wrote: »
    I agree. So I turned everything off and sat here in complete silence. I tried to read a book but there was no light and I couldn't find any candles. I decided to cook something but, damnit, the microwave was off. Taking a piss was a nightmare in the dark and I couldn't play with Miss Palm and her five daughters because there was no way of accessing movies.

But I felt proud of myself and after five minutes, I turned on my computer to chat to friends, the TV to watch a movie, all the lights because I'm afraid of the dark, the fire because I'm cold, every kitchen appliance because I'm hungry, my alarm clock otherwise I won't wake up, my hair straighteners to do my hair, my phone charger to charge my phone and the radio to listen to some tunes.

I like to think I do my bit :)

Lol

In Nepal it was Monsoon season, so we had frequent powercuts... You can imagine what it was like when we were close to the Terai (lower regions, a lot of Nepal is of high altitude) and the air conditioning turned off. It was in the high 30's in that town and my roomate had it hard, she couldn't sleep.

But Nepal is different. A television is a luxiary as are radios and nobody seems to fussed when the power cuts out, they're used to it.

You know you can get wind up torches and phone chargers though.
  • Options

Apparently turning things off then on again uses more energy than leaving them on. I'm trying to find a source, but my Mum has been telling me for ages now. Still not sure I'm convinced.
  • Options
    Apparently turning things off then on again uses more energy than leaving them on. I'm trying to find a source, but my Mum has been telling me for ages now. Still not sure I'm convinced.

Yeh I heard the power used just switching on a light bulb is the same as something like an hour leaving it on. Maybe I'm just a gullible twat but it could make sense.
  • Options

Really? I didn't know that (will check it)... Bit lame for an E&E officer not to know.
  • Options
    I don't know if that's true, but I know that electrical equipment is far more likely to break when you first turn it on than at any other time. That's why it's a stupid idea to turn your VCR off at the wall every night like people always seem to recommend.
  • Options
    I take it that the OP doesn't have to pay his own electricity bill?

Simple things like turning lights off, turning the TV off instead of on standby and unplugging your mobile charger when you're done will save you £100s a year. Even before the whole climate change issue, that should be a good enough reason to do it. It's why I do it, I don't have £200 a year to burn.

Certain items (such as fluorescent and energy-saver lights) do use more energy at the beginning as they warm up, but unless you turn the damn things on and off every two minutes then the amount you waste by leaving them on is much much higher.

The thing that amuses me is how everyone buys these plasma TVs (they use five times as much energy as a CRT TV), fancy spotlights and George Foreman grills and leave all their lights on, and then they get pissed off when the Government tells them that the only way we can generate the required electricity is to build a huge nuclear power plant in their back yard.