Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Vista thread...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    anyone know if vista comes with WMP11 built in? im struggled to get it installed on my xp pro at the moment and want WMP11 to stream video to my xbox360...

if its included i might just install vista now.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I think it does. Have a look on this page.
    It does, only difference to me is the colour

4 Days to go!
    I'm still trying to decide about this. I've got a Windows XP x64 Edition for my computer (which I haven't built yet). And I have 110 quid to spend at a particular scummy retailer (who I'm refusing to buy any more hardware off in case it has to be returned and it's another 6 month until I hear from them again). I've heard people have issues with x64 when installing certain things, so I'm thinking about a dual boot with either 32-bit XP pro, or 32-bit Vista. I might just buy a printer or an iPod or something though. Anyone got any experiences with XP x64 Edition? Any good, or a pain in the arse? Incidentally, if you've previously bought hardware off a company in the past, will they sell you OEM software even if you aren't actually buying any components off them at the time?
    not usually, but you can buy a cheap mouse for 1.50 and they will sell you the software.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    not usually, but you can buy a cheap mouse for 1.50 and they will sell you the software.

I've heard that. But that seems a bit pointless, since the actual rules on the Microsoft website state that it can only be sold with a piece of hardware crucial to the running of a computer (i.e. motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, PSU).
    Ever attempted to use Windows without a mouse? ;)

Lol!

And yes :p

Ha-Ha It was very hard, had to keep using the Tab key to move around

Not been very well so aint posted in MY thread so here we go!

2 Days!
    Apparently Microsoft have changed the OEM rules so you don't necessarily have to buy a mouse now.

OEM - designed for a system builder, can only be used on one system, if you want to reinstall then you can as many times as you like but you cannot transfer the licence to a new machine. If your motherboard breaks and you replace it with an identical one you can contact microsoft who will reset it for you. Who knows, maybe this could be abused so you could use it to change computer?

Retail - designed for us lot, ridiculously overpriced but you can install it on multiple systems

Microsoft are actually in trouble actually, they want to make some profit on Vista and so are hiking up the charges, but with viable alternatives like OS X and Linux then by increasing charges they are just going to reduce their customer base, which will then be impossible to get back. Once a company decides it wants to go open source, goes to the expense of training everyone to use openoffice and linux, it's not going to shovel out £200 a licence for windows for 50 computers.
    but with viable alternatives like OS X

:heart:
    noog wrote: »
    :heart:

Hehehe.

How am I going to play:
    - supreme commander
    - c&c 3
    - spore
    - arma

on OS X though :(
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hehehe.

How am I going to play:
    - supreme commander
    - c&c 3
    - spore
    - arma

on OS X though :(
    I heard about something like an emulator that has come out recently. I don't remember the name, but it translates the windows API calls to whatever OS's you're using, and also has a directx driver they made themselves. Apparently it can play most games with no problem.
    I heard about something like an emulator that has come out recently. I don't remember the name, but it translates the windows API calls to whatever OS's you're using, and also has a directx driver they made themselves. Apparently it can play most games with no problem.

The only ones I've heard of are WINE and cedega, neither of which are perfect :(. If there is more info on this I may well be converting! :D
    The only ones I've heard of are WINE and cedega, neither of which are perfect :(. If there is more info on this I may well be converting! :D
    No, that's a new one. It's wine-based, but the big difference is directx. I don't remember what it's called though...
    And I've never tried it myself, I'm just saying what I heard.
    No, that's a new one. It's wine-based, but the big difference is directx. I don't remember what it's called though...
    And I've never tried it myself, I'm just saying what I heard.

There's Parallels, which is really funky :). Or there's Crossover which let's you run windoze apps in os x (I think this might be what Ingrid was talking about) Or if all else fails, you can just boot XP :-P. Although I've barely booted XP since november now
    Microsoft are actually in trouble actually, they want to make some profit on Vista and so are hiking up the charges, but with viable alternatives like OS X and Linux then by increasing charges they are just going to reduce their customer base, which will then be impossible to get back. Once a company decides it wants to go open source, goes to the expense of training everyone to use openoffice and linux, it's not going to shovel out £200 a licence for windows for 50 computers.

Indeed. Vista is rather late, rather over-budget, and rather unappealing to many corporate customers. Everything 'revolutionary' has been stripped, it is now little more than a glorified XP - which was overkill for business.

I can't see many businesses migrating until support for XP is going to be dropped. Even then, I'm not confident they'll go for Microsoft...
    Yes, crossover it is.
    Its really intresting reading all this!:)
    I tried crossover on my ubuntu earlier, not nearly as good as I'd been told. :(
    Indeed. Vista is rather late, rather over-budget...

Just like the PS3. But lets not discuss that here as we have another thread.

Vista would be find its just the fact it eats rescources like my schools behaviour manager eats his burgers :eek2:
    what isn't late and over budget nowadays?
    If im right it should be released today!:)

Edit: I'm having a look around websites like amazon, ebay, dabs and ebuyer and it does not say "buy this and get vista bla bla"

I know there was lots of talk about it but i never thought about it.

edit again: Never mind about all that found both of the products for 142

My question is whats the difference between 32bit and 64? and how do you tell which your computer is?
    32bit and 64bit is the type of information your processor deals with. 64bit has more information is a smaller segment so is more efficient. If you have a 64 bit processor you can use either, otherwise you can use 32bit. There are many 64 bit processors around now, so find out what your processer is and you should be able to find out. Many processors the clue is in the name (athlon 64 ;) etc.)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    AHAHAHA ITS DELAYED AGAIN.

God Vista has had nearly as many delayes as Half Life 2, with about ooh... 1/4 of the problems?

Duke Nukem Forever: The OS. ;) Well, it ain't THAT bad.

Still pants.
    Hm that explains what the differences are shyboy but not how i find out which one i have all i know is that i have Intel centrino intside my laptop
    Vista OEM can be reinstalled onto another system

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=352&type=expert&pid=4
    So, I called the automated phone line and tried to activate that way. After giving the system my 54-digit installation ID, it told me it was not able to activate my software and was going to transfer me to a representative to help. Oh boy.

After talking with a very much out-sourced representative, who simply asked me if I was "using this software on any other system any more" and I said 'no', they supplied me with the corresponding 54-digit confirmation ID.

So, I was able to transfer this copy of Windows Vista Ultimate OEM from one PC to another, but I had to jump through a few hoops to make it all happen. Is that worth the price discount of the OEM Vista versions? That's up to you!

:thumb:

However, trying to find out now what the terms are of buying OEM software, as it now needs to be an 'integral part of the operating system' although I'm sure you can find many a eBay trader who are willing to waive this...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6313981.stm
    Windows Vista is "dramatically more secure than any other operating system released", Microsoft founder Bill Gates has told BBC News.

:lol::lol::lol:
    aww leave him alone!

Your all be very 'Happy' to know that i've brought Vista Home Prem!:hyper:
    Oh cool, Oem? If so, where from and what hardware did you need to buy with it?