Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

quitting uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
its been on my mind for a good few weeks and ive decided uni isn't for me, i dont understand the work and when i ask a question it seems every one thinks im stupid, my essay marks are terrible and i cant be doing with the stress any more, does any one know how i go about informing my uni etc ?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    K.N.S wrote:
    its been on my mind for a good few weeks and ive decided uni isn't for me, i dont understand the work and when i ask a question it seems every one thinks im stupid, my essay marks are terrible and i cant be doing with the stress any more, does any one know how i go about informing my uni etc ?
    you need to fill out a withdrawal from studies form and also make your reasons clear in writing to the university.
    The best starting point will be going to talk to your tutor. These things vary from uni to uni but they will know how to go about it.

They may well try and talk you out of it, try not to dismiss that out of hand but listen to them. Even if you think you've made you mind up listen to their ideas and your various options.

Another thing to bear in mind would be sticking out the rest of the year, which in reality probably only means making it to Easter as a lot of courses wind up then. That will give you time to plan what you're going to do instead, give the relevant notice on accomodation and means that for your CV you will have completed one year of uni education rather than giving up half way through.
  • TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear you're so unhappy at uni. Life as a university student can get very stressful. Have you spoken to your tutor or student counsellor about how you feel? I would recommend talking to one or both of these people before making a final decision to leave uni. Maybe you could get extra help from your tutor or someone else on the course, or perhaps you could transfer onto another course more suitable for you. And maybe there are other things you could do to improve your uni expereince.
    Talk it over and then see how you feel. :)
  • TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    I forgot to add this link too, about your course or uni not being right for you, and how to go about changing your course, if this is what you decide to do. :thumb:
    TammyG wrote: »
    I forgot to add this link too, about your course or uni not being right for you, and how to go about changing your course, if this is what you decide to do. :thumb:

Yes, I would say you should speak to your tutor and ask for help first. If your attendance is satisfactory the lectures and tutors should be very helpful towards giving you support because there is obviously a reason why your not understanding it. You are obviously capable of doing so otherwise you wouldn't be there..

Otherwise maybe a change of course?

Quitting will make you regret it for a long time
    Thanks Guys, I've spoke to my student support manager about it and ive decided to leave, maybe i might go back later in life, but i think ive been in education far too long and i've had enough of the stress, so im off to find a full time job (fingers crossed) so i can start clearing some of my student debt lol :)
    give the relevant notice on accomodation and means that for your CV you will have completed one year of uni education rather than giving up half way through.

That's something I actually wondered about... what looks better on the CV; got through the year but failed exams and dropped out, or left half way through because of "xxxxxx"
    muse- wrote: »
    That's something I actually wondered about... what looks better on the CV; got through the year but failed exams and dropped out, or left half way through because of "xxxxxx"

if you can make it to the end of the year, it can be a good step to take, you could also then get a university certificate of higher education provided you've completed 120 credits at level 1, rather than leave with nothing. having said that you can get credits for any modules / courses you do complete at university and if ever you go back or decide to return to study, you can keep those credits as already completed meaning you wouldn't have to take them again whethr its the same or a different univerity. provided the course is relatively similar and you do it within an 8 year period. having said that, knowing your own mind, not sticking it out in a rut you don't like and doing something else that you feel you would be better could show a number of personal qualities. - it works both ways. dropping out does not in any way mean faliure and its important to rememebr that. but good luck with whatever you do.