Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just started running again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey all,
wanted some friendly advice about how to ease myself into training again.
Just went for a run and my fitness is absolutly shocking, I managed 6 minutes jog after nearly a year of no training and smoking. How can I get my fitness up really quick? I would appreciate in door methods as well to and the gym is too far.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure how useful this is but I found interval training really helped me. I started off with jogging for a minute, then walking for a minute, and repeated it ten times. Took a day off then moved on to jogging for 2 mins, walking for 3, and repeated it 5 times. I slowly built up the jogging time and at the end of about 5 weeks I was able to jog for over 30 mins quite easily.

Check out the training section on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/
  • Options
    Intensive training always works for me. Take long runs (about 10km +-) and give it a few days rest in between, to really put a huge effort in.

I've tried interval training, it improves your time quite significantly. You start running at a slow pace and then give it all you got for as long as you can. Then you maintain an medium pace and repeat.

I guess you've already taking a step by starting to train again. I can't run because i'd be freezing my balls off, which i happen to value :o - unfortunately :p
  • Options
    Running long distances to soon is a bad idea.

What works best for me is some interval training combined with hill running. After long periods of no running this type of training gets me where I want to be fast.
  • Options
    Nash wrote: »
    Running long distances to soon is a bad idea.

I'd say it's best to get to know your body and gradually run longer and longer distances... Has always worked for me :) Try to find hilly landscapes and avoid tarmac. Terrain running is awesome, And i started out at very short distances and slowly made the course longer.