Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting router to work with modem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone i know went and bought themselves a "Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gateway router" and they cant get it to work with there Bt voyager 190 adsl modem they got with there aol.

I had a go at doing and followed the setup instruction but it gets to a certain point in the installation and says it cannot set-up the router.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem

Comments

• Options
    The router would replace the modem.

Whether or not you can do that with AOL is another question.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    The router would replace the modem.

Whether or not you can do that with AOL is another question.

in the instruction manual it says about hooking the modem and router together and into the computer
  • Options
    Someone i know went and bought themselves a "Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gateway router" and they cant get it to work with there Bt voyager 190 adsl modem they got with there aol.

I had a go at doing and followed the setup instruction but it gets to a certain point in the installation and says it cannot set-up the router.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem

You need a router that is compatible with adsl for a start - a cable modem is usually provided by NTL and the router for this won't be compatible with the BT connection. All ISPs that use BT phone lines use ADSL. I haven't set one up myself but I imagine if you get one it is as simple as connecting the router, modem and pc (instructions on this setup should be provided). Then the PC or laptop your routing the signal too needs an adapter (built in or card).
  • Options
    Is the modem connected by USB or Ethernet to the PC? If it is USB then you will need a router with a built in modem.

I've seen routers in PC World that are labelled 'cable/dsl' router. But they don't have built in modems, just an ethernet port 'in'. Some guy who worked there told me that ISPs are moving away from USB and on to ethernet modems now. I hate PC World and their advice and I reckon he was talking crap, cos I'm yet to see anybody recieve an ethernet modem from their ISP.

But I'm sure someone will tell me different now...?

Edited to say: Did he buy it off Ebay, cos I've seen ones on there labelled 'cable/dsl' too.
  • Options
    Ants wrote: »
    Is the modem connected by USB or Ethernet to the PC? If it is USB then you will need a router with a built in modem.

I've seen routers in PC World that are labelled 'cable/dsl' router. But they don't have built in modems, just an ethernet port 'in'. Some guy who worked there told me that ISPs are moving away from USB and on to ethernet modems now. I hate PC World and their advice and I reckon he was talking crap, cos I'm yet to see anybody recieve an ethernet modem from their ISP.

But I'm sure someone will tell me different now...?

Edited to say: Did he buy it off Ebay, cos I've seen ones on there labelled 'cable/dsl' too.

the modem that he got with his isp is an ethernet one and aye he did buy the router off of ebay, (i cringed when he said he gone ahead and bought one tbh), i would of told him to buy an all in one job but since he's gone ahead and bought i told him i'd have ago at installing it for him which as as i thought been a complete pain in the haw maws.
    i hope some lovely person will be able to tell a way to get this to work as it'll be a pain explaining to him why it wont:yes:
  • Options
    Ants wrote: »
    I hate PC World and their advice and I reckon he was talking crap

90% chance says that the salesperson was.

I like it when the salesperson tells you this "fantastic" notebook has 700Mhz FSB. So I ask, intrigued and pretending to be computer illiterate like many are, what is fsb?

I can put my money on it that he wont tell you it is the speed of the frontside bus(FSB). Frontside bus being the bus that interlinks the CPU, RAM, chipset, motherboard,etc.