Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Travel Agents vs The Net

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What do people think?

For holidays, for travelling, for prices, accom, flights....

who wins?

Travel agents do it all for you but the net is cheaper supposedly.

what are your experiences?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I am booking holidays then online but I will save all the money up then spend hours surfing for the best possible deal and then buy it there on the spot.
    If you are needing to do more than that then travel agents is good, pay so much a week etc but really it is up to the individual.

Both have advantages and disadvantages
    I think if you have no idea where to go then Travel agents can be quite good - I have also on a couple of occasions got better priced flights through a travel agent than online.

We used to book all our travel at work through a travel agent who had negotiated charity discounts with lots of airlines but increasingly they are the same price if not more expensive than booking directly with the airline yourself.

So I would say in general if you have the time then then the internet is better.
    It also depends on how old you are. If you happen to be a student or under the age of 26 you are eligible for a youth travel card. With this you can go to an STA travel shop and get very cheap deals.

Generally as well, if you were going to book through travel agents I would visit about 4 of them. Some travel shops have direct deals with the airlines(or travel companies) that brings the prices down alot. So a holiday in one shop could be 1/3 cheaper in another which is alot of cash if your dishing up a grand or more.
    Talk to me more about this STA and youth travel card?
    aye.

don't u have to be a student for STA?
    Doomsday wrote: »
    aye.

don't u have to be a student for STA?

No idea, but what is STA?
    ashlee wrote: »
    Talk to me more about this STA and youth travel card?

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0A536D8D-BF938C29/uk_division_web_live/hs.xsl/318.htm

An IYTC card gives you discounts (age 12-26) and I believe there is also a card for teachers to be eligible for discount.

The link takes you to STA travel website which you can browse. You can book online, via telesales or search for a branch. If you want advice I suggest you call telesales or visit a local branh

Hope that helps...