Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Family meals.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so, I'm making dinner for what is now 9 people on Sunday for my mum's birthday. I have the dessert sorted, thanks to Nikki (:heart: ), however, I don't want to do a Sunday roast, I want to do something special. But I have limiting factors such as my stepdad doesn't like pasta and my sister doesn't like rice and I don't like mushrooms or tuna....etc. I've been thinking really hard about it and it's just useless :(. So if anyone has any suggestions I will be very grateful! It's my mum's birthday and I want to make her something nice as I can't afford a present.

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about boeuf borginion - or a lamb tajine - both are quite easy you just need to brown the meat an onions and stick them in the oven for a couple of hours et voila.
    How about fish in a white wine sauce? That was the first meal I cooked for a large number of people, I served it with lemon rice but it would be fine with some kind of potatoes instead.

Another really nice meal is chicken stuffed with pesto and wrapped in bacon, but that's a bit more difficult to do for a large number of people as each chicken breast needs to be done individually. Depends how confident you are with cooking, I guess.

Or you could do something is a sauce and cook both pasta and rice, to cater for both your stepdad and your sister.
    Maybe do a Pork ratatouile(?) With Cous cous. easy peasy
    Chicken puff pastry pie, or that mediterranian one in another thread, with boiled potatoes and veg
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Some sort of casserole. Get it all ready. Bung it in the oven and forget about it for an hour and a half. In the meantime, boil some potatoes.
    Franki wrote: »
    I have the dessert sorted, thanks to Nikki (:heart: ),

:D

All the above suggestions sound good... but if you get stuck I can whip my student cookbook out again haha. :) But to be fair, most of the meals I've tried and tested in there will include rice, pasta or tuna, as I tend to live on those :not mushrooms though... :no: :yuck: ). But there's plenty of stuff in there, or www.sparkpeople.com do some nice recipes, even though it is a diet site, there's some nice stuff on there.
    As 9 people is quite a lot to be cooking for I would definately try to keep it simple, you don't want to be fussing around getting stressed out about the food.

As the weather has been much cooler lately I would definately cook something in the oven like a stew which you could make dumplings to go with. You could do roast/mash/boiled/new potatoes whatever you prefer and some nice vegetables to accompany the meal.

I know its not the most imaginative of all foods but if any unexpected visitors turn up you can make it stretch and I don't know anyone who doesn't like it! Most importantly you won't have to worry about it too much, but it should taste great and go down a treat!
    Chilli con carne! :thumb:
    Packet of chilli mix
    packet of mince beef
    chopped onion
    tin of baked beans

jobs a good un'!
    I think I'm either gonna go for the chicken pie, or stew and dumplings (because I haven't had dumplings in SO long).

:chin:

How easy are they to make? And is the possibility of getting them completely wrong quite high?
    Dumplings are dead easy and you couldn't possibly get them wrong, they are just made of shredded suet, self raising flour and water! Thats it! All you need to do is put them into the stew about 30 minutes before you want to dish up!
    I think I love you :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Stew with dumplings.
    Can't go wrong.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Stew with dumplings.
    Can't go wrong.
    I think that's what I'm going to do :yes:.

It doesn't look in any way hard, and it is guaranteed to be liked by all. And it will satisfy my need for dumplings :yes:.
    icey wrote: »
    Chilli con carne! :thumb:
    Packet of chilli mix
    packet of mince beef
    chopped onion
    tin of baked beans

jobs a good un'!

lol

pie n mash??!!
    Did you see Rachel Allen's cookery programme this morning? She was doing a "big family meal" theme and did a chicken, ham and pea pie - looked really easy and quick. Also did a toffee apple crumble.

The recipes should be on the BBC website..
    The only problem with the dumples is they're ming :(
    oh no, dumplings are super!
    How about shepherds pie? yyou can just do mountain of veg for people to help themself to then as well? :yum:
    ewww stewed meat and veg. :yuck: