Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving an automatic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I'm looking for a used car at the moment and we've come accross a great deal - 1992 ford fiesta, good condition, MOT and taxed for £340. Only problem is its an automatic. Having learned to drive a manual, slogged my GUTS out to get to grips with a manual gearbox, I kinda feel like this is a bit of a step down and that I wouldn't feel like I was driving in an automatic! But it is a great deal. I know it will probably be easier to drive an automatic too, so I don't know what my problem is. Am I being silly?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how long is left on the MOT, cos that seems quite old for a fiesta. a lot of older ones can be quite tatty. how many miles has it done?

i personally wouldnt get a automatic, but thats just me, i find it boring and a bit shitty.
    54,000 miles and MOT ends in august.

:crying:

Everyone wants me to get it but I want a manual, even though its silly!!
    to be perfectly honest you will probably be able to get a manual fiesta of that age for not much more money.

54,000 aint much tho, which is a bonus.
    The other fiestas are going for like £500 :( And they're well over 100,000 miles
    Automatics are fine, I think you're being silly tbh. I used to drive an automatic and for city driving they are infinitely better- no hill starts, no clutch control in slow traffic, etc etc. The auto gearboxes change when you would in a manual. I really do think autos are better, unless you're buying a sports car to rag down country lanes.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I loved driving my mum's automatic. No rolling backwards, thinking you will bump into the car behind. Just pulling off from traffic lights almost stalling, with a bit of a red face.

However, I would recommed you were to get a manual as you have just passed. Its better to get the experience of driving with a gear box now, and then in the future get an automatic when you could easily swap between the two.

I dont know if that makes any sense, but I am cold, and stressed, and cant think of any other way to put it! :p
    Yeah I'd rather keep driving a manual to build up my skill

I just feel like I've spent so long learning hill starts and clutch control in traffic etc it would be a bit of a let down if I didn't actually get to do any of it!!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Keep looking, something will come up.

check www.autotrader.co.uk and similar sites as well as your local paper's car ads.

Good luck
    Thanks, autotrader has some but every time I ring up they're sold! I can't go until tomorrow either I'm having a STRESS OMG
    I'd go for the automatic, if it's in good condition and it's what you want then the type of gear box doesn't really matter (unless you need the manual for a special reason). They are much simpler to drive but you won't forget all your manual skills.
    They are much simpler to drive but you won't forget all your manual skills.

:yes:

And, not that I have any experience of driving either as an actual passed driver :crying:, surely, even if you do go back to manual and find it a bit of a stuggle, it's not going to be as hard to pick up, because you're not learning to pass a test, you're learning your way. So as long as you remember the basics (which I'm sure most people will), I can't imagine it'd be a problem to get the automatic if you wanted to.
    I think you should get a manual if you ever plan on buying a manual car ever again - my best friend got an automatic directly after she past and has never been able to drive a manual ever again.

If on the other hand you don't have any intention of buying a manual ever again or renting a car (because most rental cars in europe and the UK are manual) then you will be fine - but I think if you struggled to learn how to use a manual then you'll probably forget it - get out of practice - and become nervos about driving another one unless you get some practice in right after your test.
    lol people are telling me two different things. My parents advised against buying an automatic incase I had trouble picking up a manual in the future. To be honest I have no wish to drive an automatic, I've learned to use a manual and I feel I would benefit from driving one as I'm still getting to grips with using the higher gears. It's just it was a load cheaper! It will have gone now anyway so I don't need to worry, hurrah!
    Ask yourself why it was lots cheaper. Automatics are not normally a cheap option.
    Kind of true.

Automatics usually attract a premium in the larger cars as 'executives' want the auto option... in smaller cars, there is less of a demand and so are usually cheaper.
    Secondhand autos are cheaper because no-one wants them.

Kermit is correct, my auto was fantastic. But I'm a bit lazy.
    I can imagine a small car (with a small engine) being a bit naff as an auto, though.
    kangoo wrote: »
    Yeah I'd rather keep driving a manual to build up my skill

I just feel like I've spent so long learning hill starts and clutch control in traffic etc it would be a bit of a let down if I didn't actually get to do any of it!!

Each time you drive a new car you need to learn it again.

I drove an old automatic after passing my test and it hasn't done my driving ability any harm at all.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Auto's make for comfortable driving but that also makes them boring.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit wrote: »
    Each time you drive a new car you need to learn it again.

I've driven 3 cars (all diesel) and I've had no problem swapping between them. Changing cars is easy because the same rules apply, but I do feel like I'd be out of practice if I drove an automatic for a year. But thats a different point althogether. I do think I'd find an automatic boring, and I'd be missing a lot of the things that I like about driving a car! This is what bothered me originally, although I think the fact that I've just passed my test and need a bit of work on the higher gears is more important now

In conclusion I definatly won't be buying an automatic! Mainly because a lot of people have said it would benefit my driving abilities to have a manual. But also because I don't want one haha
    I can't drive yet.

I had five lessons a few years a go and stopped coz I 'd have to pay for them myself but th elast one didnt go so well either.

in the meantime I have been diagnosied with dyspraxia, which affects coordination and can make driving difficult. The info about dysprxai says driving can be difficult and recomments automatic cars.

I wold be ok with this coz I see automatics as easier to learn in and superior to manual cars in my opinion.

However as it has been noted, people dont see automatics as better and nearly everyone drives a manual. I dont know if driving schools even have automatci cars to learn in and my mate says they are hard o insure plus I know they are usualy more expensive.

what should I do?
    Doomsday wrote:
    However as it has been noted, people dont see automatics as better and nearly everyone drives a manual. I dont know if driving schools even have automatci cars to learn in and my mate says they are hard o insure plus I know they are usualy more expensive.

what should I do?

It's what you see as better that counts. If it suits your needs, that that's what is important.

Some driving schools do have autos.

They're more expensive to buy new (about a grand or so usually), but secondhand they're no more than expensive really. Not as many about, though, unless you're after a big car.
    Automatics are great for town use. No changing gear or aching left foot. However... they are vastly more complicated, and will easily end up writing the car off if anything goes wrong. They give worse economy and are - depending on the car and typical market - harder to sell on

Manual gearboxes are more involving, often more desireable(unless it's a Jaguar, BMW, etc - or even top of the range Mondeo), and believe it or not, generally cheaper to insure.

But it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. For a first car, does it really matter? You're likely to only keep it for a year. So long as the car itself is good, I wouldn't worry too much on the transmission. If you're often stuck in traffic, I'd consider an automatic to be a bonus :).
    If you're thinking about going out to play in a new car to you to get more practise on high gears then I'd rethink. Until you're fairly confident with what you're doing, take an experienced driver with you.

Passing your test doesn't instantly make you a good and safe driver who can take on anything. Until you're happy and confident with what you are doing and feel you have had enough practise think really hard about where/when you drive.
    Automatics are great for town use. No changing gear or aching left foot. However... they are vastly more complicated, and will easily end up writing the car off if anything goes wrong. They give worse economy and are - depending on the car and typical market - harder to sell on

:yes:

My mum got an automatic and it was great. But today something has gone wrong on it and it's cheaper to get a new car than repair it, even though it's a pretty nice Ford with a computer, CD player, a/c and stuff. It's only the radiator that's gone this time - but it does have problems quite often, but the car's not worth a lot because for one thing, automatics aren't very saleable, and for another, it's a Ford Scorpio :p (but I think it's a nice car!)
    ^Ugly, but nice. Sometimes it's the cars we often overlook which happen to be the best deals - nobody wants the Scorpio, because it looks rather horrible. But they're well made, have some lovely engines, are good to drive, and are generally very well equipped.
    If you're thinking about going out to play in a new car to you to get more practise on high gears then I'd rethink. Until you're fairly confident with what you're doing, take an experienced driver with you.

I would hardly say I'm going out to 'play' in it. I know what I'm comfortable with, and I don't intend going out on my own for a while - even though my driving instructor said I'm one of the best and safest drivers he's taught. I can drive the car perfectly well, its just confidence I lack because I haven't done much dual carriageway driving. I'm starting my pass plus in a week or 2 to get a bit more practice with high speed driving anyway, but if I can't practice what I've been taught in a manual then there doesn't seem much point
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    They give worse economy and are - depending on the car and typical market

I never knew this until I recently began running an auto to get me to and from work. Horrendous really.
    A very important thing to consider.
    Weekender Offender 
    That's cool then Kangoo, if you don't feel you've got the experience of everything then doing pass plus is a really good idea. Good luck with it.

:)
    Skive wrote: »
    I never knew this until I recently began running an auto to get me to and from work. Horrendous really.
    A very important thing to consider.

It does vary wildly - some are far worse, some are hardly noticeable. My Dad's T5 is an automatic, and he generally gets 24mpg or thereabouts. Can't see a manual being much more than 2mpg better in average use. Stepmothers Mondeo is an auto too, and she generally sees fairly similar economy.

Generally, budget on losing 5mpg over a manual and it'll be about right. I tend to think that driving 'swiftly' is far more economical in a manual than an automatic, but overall the difference isn't so bad. On long journeys, the difference will likely be miniscule.

But, look at it this way - most cars will cost £400 or so for a decent clutch replacement. A 5mpg drop in economy will take a lot of miles to use £400 extra of fuel... so assuming the gearbox doesn't break, it's pretty even overall.
    Skive wrote: »
    Auto's make for comfortable driving but that also makes them boring.

Oh definitely, the car I have now is quite a sporty Fiesta and I'd cry it it was an auto. An auto is not anywhere near as much fun when driving fast down country roads. Around cities, though, and on long motorway drives, automatics are much better.

I also think autos tend to be a bit more economical for most drivers- certainly the ones I've driven have been set up to short-shift upwards when you gently accelerate, when most manual drivers won't do that.

If the OP is trying to find reasons not to get an auto then its not a good idea to get an auto.