Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cold / flu blues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ach, aren't they horrid? This week I've been ill, especially Tues, Weds and today. Dosing myself up with paracetemol and lemsip (alternating between them cos the lemsip treats everything whereas the paracetemol is cheaper). And ugh.

Here's a question: should I get a sicknote? I've been letting my seminar leaders know if I was going to miss them or not, except today I hadn't made my mind up whether I felt well enough and then I fell asleep for a few hours! (at 3pm!) :( So am quite worried now. But seeing as I've missed the lectures for that, it wasn't too bad.

I've got assignments due in tomorrow and should get on with them but I do feel wretched. So yea, when you feel ill and there's nothing to take your mind of it, what do you do?

p.s. I knew I should have got some ibuprofen too :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol no i don't think you need a sicknote for having a cold. uni is different to school, just e-mail your tutors saying you're not very well.

i have cold - though it's more of a virus really 'cause i have bad ear ache, a sore chest and headache too.
    I still have a cold. Once I get rid of them, they always comes back. Odd thing is, for 3 of the 4 colds I've had since September, they've all been from people on my course. (and none have been from the children at nursery)
    Flu and cold are quite similar, the differences mainly are:
    - cold gives you a runny nose more often
    - flu gives you sudden severe headaches more often

but a lot of the symptoms are interchangable. I don't normally get ill and it's really getting to me now. :( Especially with this assignment I've got due in for tomorrow. Bleugh.
    honey - eat it
    It's hardly worth going to the shop to buy a tub of honey when it'll be gone by tomorrow or saturday at the latest, unfortunately. :( But it's just that 'ewww I'm sick' feeling, waiting for it to wear off.

Just eating some chicken sandwiches with salad cream, with a nice cup of tea too.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Flu and cold are quite similar, the differences mainly are

If £50 notes were falling on your bed -

If you had a cold you'd pick them up

If you had flu you wouldn't bother :D
    RubberSkin wrote: »

:D
    mate if you had flu you'd know about it.

trust me i feel like shit at the minute but i know it'll just be a run of the mill virus.
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Yup.

Even with a sick note it's unlikely that you'll get an extension. Uni lecturers will probably just point out that they set the assignment in September or whenever and so you should have started earlier.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. Just going on my experience.
    You've got a cold mate, you've dragged your arse out of bed to the computer, you've not got flu!

You need to try and keep on top of your work as much as possible, do it in short chunks and try your best to get to some lectures. If you're well enough to leave the house then you should get to a lecture.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Colds can be really bad, but flu is always evil.
    As others have said if you had the flu, you'd be in bed for days, tripping your nuts off.
    Weekender Offender 
    Loopi wrote: »
    Yup.

Even with a sick note it's unlikely that you'll get an extension. Uni lecturers will probably just point out that they set the assignment in September or whenever and so you should have started earlier.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. Just going on my experience.

Oh they're only mini assignments, normally set for about 2 weeks. I'm feeling a bit better so will make a go on it tomorrow. (by mini they only take an hour or so)