Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Apple crumble.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
K, so.

I'm making (well, me and Rich are making :o) my mother a big birthday dinner on Sunday (because I am leskint and can't afford to get her a present, and this is what she wanted), and for dessert I am making apple crumble. For 8 people.

I have never made apple crumble before, and therein lies my problem.

I know I have to use cooking apples (I'm not that stupid :p), but I don't know how to go about doing any of the rest of it :|.

So if any of you have any recipes for the perfect apple crumble for dummies, that would be superb :D.

I will love you forever if you help me :heart:.

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have one... I'll dig it out, and post it in a sec :)
    OK, it's actually a "Fruit Crumble", including mango, and lemon, but it also says you can add loads of different ones, as long as there's 500G of fruit altogether (which must be what we did haha, because the mate I made it with is allergic to mangoes :))

Right, see if this helps:

Serves 4.

Ingredients:

2 large cooking apples
    1 Mango (or, more apples if you didn't want the mango)
    Juice of 1 lemon
    125g Sugar
    200g Plain Flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    75g butter
    25-50g porridge oats

1. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (180 celsius, 350 farenheit)

2. Peel core and slice the apples. (If using) Peel and slice the mango, chucking out the stone. Mix the fruit with the lemon juice and 25g of the sugar in a oven proof dish

3. Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add the butter and rub in until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the rest of the sugar, plus the oats.

4. Tip the crumble over the fruit, level it out and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve with custard, vanilla ice cream or creamy yoghurt

We managed it easy enough (and I struggle with pancakes :D)
    Hurray :D.

I assume (really, not a culinary type here) that I just double everything to make it for 8...yus.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, just double everything.

I normally stew the apples a bit in a pan for a few minutes, until just before turning mushy. Then I use a wholegrain flour, butter and brown sugar for the crumble. It's really easy. Then, a sprinkle of brown sugar on top, bang it in the oven for 15 / 20 minutes and it's ready.

Oooooh, and a bit of cinnamon is extremely tasty with it :yum:
    and make some custard to poor over the top. The best thing about apple crumble is eating the topping with custard...
    I will of course have custard and double cream. In case people don't like custard :p.
    mmm crumble! the crumble and the custard is the best bit. :yum::yum:
    I'd offer to make extra foryou, but the chances of me fucking it up completely are far too high :p.
    the last time my mum made crumble, she cheated with the crumble and bought packet stuff. it wasn't at all crumbley, it was just like flour sprinkled on the top. :(

so get the crumble right - it's crucial!
    I'll get Rich to do that bit :o.
    I love it with extra sugar in it.

Best of luck!
    You'll want a fair bit of sugar for the apples as they can sometimes go a bit sour and ruin the whole thing..
    Also, dont forget that apples when cooked will stew down so you will need to start out by using more than you would expect to
    I'd put some Ground Cinnamon in/on it.

mmm I love it! :yum: