Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tomato Puree

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Just a quickie...I assume I can make a simple tomato sauce from tomato puree. Can this be done with just water? and if so, how much? Ive got a few herbs to chuck in a make it tasty :yum:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you planning on cooking? Are you just having a meal of tomato sauce or is it an accompaniment to something?

*is really hoping it's the latter*
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    What are you planning on cooking? Are you just having a meal of tomato sauce or is it an accompaniment to something?

*is really hoping it's the latter*

:lol: luckily the latter, I am having quorn meatballs and spaghetti, but I have no sauce :(
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, obviously it's not ideal but you can use puree - got any red wine? That's always a massive bonus to add to the flavour - reduced down with some sugar. Onions would be a massive bonus if you have any, then yeah water and herbs - but don't add too much puree as it might be a bit strong and be sure to season really well.

Alternatively, if you've got a tin of tomato soup knocking about you can add the puree to that to make a sauce.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Yeah, obviously it's not ideal but you can use puree - got any red wine? That's always a massive bonus to add to the flavour - reduced down with some sugar. Onions would be a massive bonus if you have any, then yeah water and herbs - but don't add too much puree as it might be a bit strong and be sure to season really well.

Alternatively, if you've got a tin of tomato soup knocking about you can add the puree to that to make a sauce.

Hope that helps. :)

I have all the above ingredients, except onions...how much of each do i need? and when do i add?

In other words, **Helen** can I have a recipe please? :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Bunnie wrote: »

In other words, **Helen** can I have a recipe please? :thumb:

Sure :)

We did this over christmas - it's called making a sauce with minimum ingredients ;)

Ok, you're gonna need two pans - one to reduce the wine and sugar and one for puree mixed with a bit of water, soup, and herbs. You're then going to combine the two.

So heat a pan with about one and a half/two tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you like things) and a tiny bit of water and then when the pan's hot add a glass (or maybe two :p) of red wine. Let that simmer. At the same time get a pan of puree and water and some of the soup (just helps to thicken a bit so obviously not a whole can!) - put that to simmer at the same time. When the sugar is dissolved in the wine, add it to the puree. Then add the herbs, season well - and serve.

It's worth bearing in mind that this 'emergency' sauce is quite sweet, but much tastier than puree on it's own in my experience - but if you've got cheese to grate over the top - all the better :yum:

That sound ok?
  • Options
    sounds fabulous!! Thanks, I shall go armed with cheese :)

You are a star!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Tinned chopped tomatoes
    tomato puree
    Ketchup - good for the sugar content
    Red Wine
    Garlic
    Basil
    Oragano
    Chili

Simmer those ingrients together and you have a pretty tasty tomato sauce. A base sauce I use for things such as chili, bolognese, enchilladas, pasta bakes etc.

Never tried it on it's own but I imagine it would be alright.
    Weekender Offender