Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Broken door

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just kicked a hole in the bathroom door, wrongly assuming it was made of wood when its actually made of this weird spongy fake wood stuff. We're having an inspection on monday so I'm a bit worried now. Any idea if I can fix it, or what to tell the landlord? Also how much do new doors cost?

Comments

• Options
    If it's a basic hollow-frame wood door then it wouldn't cost that much, though fitting it would probably be a pain in the arse unless your replacement was the exact right size.

More fancy doors cost more, obviously. Some of them are expensive.

Some examples

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp;jsessionid=FHCBPWXNAICH0CSTHZOSFFQ?cId=102114&ts=62744
  • Options
    Can you get someone to fit it for you?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Can you get someone to fit it for you?

I guess you can get people to do most things, but they'd probably want paying.
  • Options
    how and why did you kick a hole in the door?
  • Options
    Umm got in a bit of a huff. I didn't kick it that hard, just kind of kicked it open. Its not made of wood so it just caved in
  • Options
    Ah right. I did similar t'other day- made a (tiny) hole in the bloomin wall by throwing a phone at it...
  • Options
    mine is about 1 inch deep and 5 inches wide :o

SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Unless your good with wood get a chippy. Hanging doors can be a fucking nightmare for somebody with no experience.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Does it cost a lot? Is there any way to repair the damage? Its near the bottom so it doesn'tr have to be perfect, just so the landlady doesn't notice!! :lol:
  • Options
    Wood aint easy to repair, especially if it's poor quality wood and has been splintered.
    Chippy's aint cheap, but it's only to hang a door. Get a quote on a door and fitting.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Depending on what your door is like, you could put a piece of thick paper over the hole and then paint over it, that would probably disguise it well enough.

Another option is a nice big poster, just add a few more so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Or depending on which side of the door it is, prop it open.
  • Options
    I've done "budget repairs" on doors in the past for holes as follows: Stuff the hole as much as possible with newspaper, cover over the surface of the hole with polyfiller, smooth it carefully, allow to dry, paint.
  • Options
    Ok I'm having a bash with polyfiller tomorrow, but we have a plan to swap the door with the spare room one (hoping its the right size) because then the hole will be on the inside and the landlord will never see because the door has to be open at all times for ventilation :) At least not until we're gone with our bond tucked safely in our pockets :D
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Ok I'm having a bash with polyfiller tomorrow, but we have a plan to swap the door with the spare room one (hoping its the right size)

I doubt that will work. Still worth giving it a go.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why won't it work?
  • Options
    Almost all doors have to be trmimed to fit the frame they're going into. Even in the same house frames are rarely the same size, so in effect it would proabbly be as much of, if not more of a work up, than putting in a new door.

Good luck though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ahhh damn, well polyfiller it is