Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diet but still going on nights out?

Ok, so I started a diet on Sunday and so far its going really well. I'm eating really sensibly and exercising lots. I've lost 4lbs since Sunday so its a start (I thought it was 2lb but I've just weighed myself :D)

Thing is, I like to go out. I'm out on Saturday for my birthday. For me, going out means LOTS of drinking followed by a takeaway on the way home. Question being, would me going out wreck all I've achieved this week?

Obviously I can cut the takeaway out and stick to diet mixers and stuff but yeah :blush:

Just worried that I'm gonna put on all the weight I've lost in one night. I still want to go out and have a good time (and yes, I like to drink). Will my diet get in the way?

Will going out for example, one a week make all dieting pointless?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know with the weightwatchers diet all alcoholic drinks are given points, maybe u can work out a point system so u don't go over ur limit?
    if i said "yes drinking large amount of alcohol followed by takeaways will mess up your diet" would you actually stop going out? :confused:

just let your hair down when you want and be good the rest of the time! if you're really concerned then drink less and forget the takeaways. if you need to eat when you get home then just have some toast.
    1) You can't really judge weight loss by weighing yourself every day.
    2) One night shouldn't make a difference if you're serious about it.
    Lipsy- No, I wouldn't stop going out. I suppose I'd be more concerned about what I was drinking though. I'd like to just go out for my birthday and enjoy myself though. I get the munchies at the end of the night big time so usually end up having a takeaway with my friends. I will probably opt for the toast instead though.

Franki- I don't weigh myself everyday. I weighed myself today and hadn't done so since Sunday which is fair enough, I've been on this diet for 4 days :p When I see that I've lost weight, it motivates me to carry on dieting. Also, I'm heavier in the evening that I am in the morning so it may well be more I've lost. Heh. I do realise weighing yourself everyday though is a waste of time. I'm not stupid :p

And of course one night shouldn't make a difference to me dieting, what I'm asking is, would one night a week really fuck up my diet as I drink alot. Meaning, would going on a diet be a complete waste of time if I went out once a week because if that was the case, I'd change the way I drink, not my diet.
    Drink diet coke! Once you've recovered do a load of exercise to burn it all off and you'll be fine!
    Well it depends on what the point of your diet is. If it's to lose as much weight as possible, then yes, going out drinking once a week will mess it up, because alcohol contains quite a lot of calories. But if it's to make your lifestyle more healthy, then no, because you're going to be going out the same amount as you would anyway, but eating more healthily and exercising more than you would normally. So obviously you'll be doing yourself a favour, regardless of whether you go out or not.
    Have a look at the weightwatchers thing. It is done on points per week. I think you are allowed to save points up to use on the weekend. Drinks like vodka and diet coke have less points in them, alcopops have more...

And meh! even if it were to cock up your diet and you had a curry on the way home- it's your birthday! And, sod it, I'm sure you're only loosing weight for cosmetic reasons- you look slim in pics I've seen of you, so one blip won't make any difference if you go back to healthy eating after your hangover recovery food.
    I go out about once a week :(
    Alcohol isn't overly great for dieters. I'm desprate to go out this Saturday, but I gurantee once I'd got a few of my "diet coke and vodka" (lowest calorie drink I could find) down my neck, I'd forget about it and go crazy. It won't stop me going though (that's if someone actually agrees to come with me!)

Just try to limit yourself, as hard as it can be. Maybe, still go out once a week, but only drink (or drink excessively) every other week?
    I took dieting very seriously when I was doing it and completely cut out alcohol. Lost quite a bit of weight. But I was bored and miserable.

The best things to drink are vodka and diet mixers, or white wine spritzers. If you are dieting you will probably find drink affects you more as there is less food to soak it up.

I don't think you really need to lose much weight, if any to be honest from pics I have seen of you, but I would concentrate more on toning up and exercise than 'dieting'.

Or try going out and not drinking. I can't do it and just feel bored but some people are okay.
    alcohol is really high in calories - going on a night out doesn't mean you have to drink LOADS, just drink and have a good time. it's not a competition!

and personally i don't believe in diets as such - that implies that it's only a short term measure. what i think you should aim for is more of a change in life style i.e. in your diet and regular exercise. that way you can treat yourself.

and yes, it doesn't take much to realise that being good all week and then going crazy on a night out will ruin your efforts for the rest of the week.
    just go for it

just be extra good the next few days

alcohol is like chocolate/crisps/burgers...if you cut it out completely, you`ll crave it, it`ll make u miserable and you`ll end up binging on it

dont deprive yourself....just dont be daft n drink blue wkd all night or lager THEN eat a chicken korma

whatever take away u get, try to get the one which is most healthy :)
    A couple of takeaways round ours do falafal and you get a pita bread stuffed with salad and you can choose a yoghurt based sauce instead of mayo. Its soooo yum and definatly the healthiest option!
    well no, i'm sure there are healthier things than something greasy from a dodgy food place!
    im having the same problem!! tis very frustrating!!

Im doing weightwatchers, and have been for the last 4 and a half weeks now and ive been doing really well, altho i really like the good night out too and im half a mind as to whether i should go out or not!!

Like tomorrow my mate is having a party and i reeally want to go, but i know its going to ruin all my hardwork if i do.. (albeit tomorrow is my weigh day and if i lose weight it should be my weekly treat)

tis very annoying:impissed: especially if you want to go out more than once a week especially. when i go out i tend to drink aboout 5-6 double vokda and lemonades.god knows how many points thats using up :(
    oh yeah, and what exactly are you doing to be able to lose 4lbs in 4 days?!!! no fair! whatever ur method - i need to know!! :D
    just don't get off your face, drink a little bit. Maybe fix something up ready for when you get in rather than getting something on the way back? Lets face it - i don't think there's any salad bars open at 3am!
    soraliah wrote: »
    oh yeah, and what exactly are you doing to be able to lose 4lbs in 4 days?!!! no fair! whatever ur method - i need to know!! :D

I've just been eating really healthy foods in smaller portions.

I have also been doing about 30 mins of exercise a day.

Its only water you lose in the first week anyways so I've not actually lost anything off me yet :(
    well no, i'm sure there are healthier things than something greasy from a dodgy food place!
    maybe, but it's her birthday, she's allowed a treat....not like she's doing it every day :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    vodka, soda and lime is also a low calorie alcofrolic drink. Avoid the takeaway like the plague, coz in a drunken stupor chips, a large pizza and garlic bread will seem fine.
    In fact, what might be an idea is to find something you really like and is healthy, buy it and pop it in the fridge/cupboard etc. Then you know its at home, you can look forward to it, and wont feel so deprived when your friends are chomping on kebabs.